NFL Draft 2014

tj4eck

McShay's first mock draft: (including schools and positions for those that don't follow college football)

01 Texans - Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville QB)
02 Rams (WSH) - Jake Matthews (Texas A&M OT)
03 Raiders - Blake Bortles (UCF QB)
04 Jaguars - Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M QB)
05 Falcons - Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina DE)
06 Browns - Derek Carr (Fresno State QB)
07 Buccaneers - Anthony Barr (UCLA OLB)
08 Vikings - Khalil Mack (Buffalo OLB)
09 Bills - Taylor Lewan (Michigan OT)
10 Titans - Cyrus Kouandjio (Alabama OT)
11 Giants - CJ Mosley (Alabama OLB)
12 Steelers - Louis Nix III (Notre Dame NT)
13 Jets - Sammy Watkins (Clemson WR)
14 Rams - Ha'Sean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix (Alabama FS)
15 Lions - Marqise Lee (USC WR)
16 Cowboys - Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame DL)
17 Chargers - Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State CB)
18 Packers - Eric Ebron (North Carolina TE)
19 Eagles - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (Oregon CB)
20 Ravens - Mike Evans (Texas A&M WR)
21 Bears - Dominique Easley (Florida DT)
22 Dolphins - Timmy Jernigan (Florida State DT)
23 Browns (IND) - Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt WR)
24 Bengals - Scott Crichton (Oregon State DE)
25 Cardinals - Morgan Moses (Virginia OT)
26 Patriots - Darqueze Dennard (Michigan State CB)
27 Panthers - Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State WR)
28 49ers - Ra'Shede Hageman (Minnesota DT)
29 Saints - Marcus Roberson (Florida CB)
30 Chiefs - Paul Richardson (Colorado WR)
31 Broncos - Zack Martin (Notre Dame OL)
32 Seahawks - Antonio Richardson (Tennessee OT)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an absolute steal if Clowney were to drop all the way to 5. And I know all of these teams need QBs, but there's no way 4 QBs should be drafted in the first 6 picks. Picking a QB just to pick a QB is a great recipe for doing the same thing three years from now.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That's an absolute steal if Clowney were to drop all the way to 5. And I know all of these teams need QBs, but there's no way 4 QBs should be

drafted in the first 6 picks. Picking a QB just to pick a QB is a great recipe for doing the same thing three years from now.

That's how you get the Christian Ponder's and Blaine Gabbert's of the world. QB's are tricky to draft, especially when you reach for them.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Johnny Manziel would be a good pick up for the Jags! It provides the Jags with a QB, which they need! And it handles the Jags most important issue, and that's butts in seats (at least temporarily)!

I know people think Clowney would be a better pick here which may or may not be true based on skill. However, the Jags are 28th overall in total defense so drafting Clowney would only be patchwork until they can acquire more talent on that end of the ball. Manziel's style of play will bring people to that stadium. And if he maintains that ability throughout the season even if they do lose the majority of their games, fans will get "if we" syndrome.

Whats that you ask?

If we... Get Johnny some weapons on offense we can have a contender.

If we... Get a Offensive Line to protect Johnny this team can be really good

If we... Get our Defense to catch up with our offense we can get to the Superbowl

A Quarterback with upside who's incredible exciting too watch will hold the fan base over for a year until they acquire all the necessary pieces

While Clowney is good he's not gonna sell tickets like Manziel will. Defense may win championships but Offense sells tickets.

And those in Jacksonville or the surrounding area correct me if I am wrong on this.

The problem with the Jaguars drafting Manziel is that yeah, he may put butts in seats, but his butt will be on the ground quite often if they can't protect him. "Acquiring the necessary pieces" takes time, and given his kind of play, Manziel may not last that long.

If I'm Manziel, I'm pulling a Mariota and staying put for at least another year.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The Cowboys need to focus on the defense. Defense, defense and some more defense. DL first and fore most, followed by the secondary and then we need some more LB depth. After those positions have been addressed, then maybe we can look at getting another guard.

And please, for the love of god, do not tinker with this offense Jerry! We have enough TE's!

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The problem with the Jaguars drafting Manziel is that yeah, he may put butts in seats, but his butt will be on the ground quite often if they can't protect him. "Acquiring the necessary pieces" takes time, and given his kind of play, Manziel may not last that long.

If I'm Manziel, I'm pulling a Mariota and staying put for at least another year.

Very true! Question is how will the Jags approach it? Will they attempt to build a solid team and get the appropriate pieces (solid OL, replacement for aging M. Jones-Drew, and the best DE in football) or do they go the, lets get people to buy PSL's and get others to buy single game tickets with an exciting Quarterback who is the topic of water-cooler discussions even though we can't protect him route?

Pretty solid chance the Rams will look to cash-in on their pick with another trade down for more picks. The Rams don't have any glaring needs—not the type you fill with a top 3 pick anyways. They need to improve at some positions and can use depth. So with a top-15 pick of their own and the chance to get more first round picks, I'd think they'd look to do this.

That said, if they really like an OL and consider him worth of the high pick, they could jump at that, especially if they can't retain Roger Saffold (who they'd likely try to keep at guard if they could).

Very true! Question is how will the Jags approach it? Will they attempt to build a solid team and get the appropriate pieces (solid OL, replacement for aging M. Jones-Drew, and the best DE in football) or do they go the, lets get people to buy PSL's and get others to buy single game tickets with an exciting Quarterback who is the topic of water-cooler discussions even though we can't protect him route?

I'd like to see them do the former, especially if Manziel stays. I see this draft as similar to last season's draft: Low on instant franchise QB's, strong in teambuilding pieces. Let's be honest, barring some miraculous run, Jacksonville will be in the lottery next season. Mariota & Manziel will be more likely to come out then, not to mention the possibility of Winston. If you think Manziel's gonna put butts in seats, then Winston would be a godsend.

I think Jacksonville can afford to be patient in this case. If they absolutely feel like they have to take a young QB now, then they should wait a little bit to see if McCarron, Mettenberger, or Boyd will be available in later rounds.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Blake Bortles going #3 overall? Absolutely no way is he worth that kind of pick.

I know McShay is higher on him than most, but jeez.

Curious- why do you say that?

Have you watched him play this year a lot? I think he could be the best QB in the draft. Has all of the intangibles plus his style of play may translate well to the NFL.

Blake Bortles going #3 overall? Absolutely no way is he worth that kind of pick.

Have you watched him play this year a lot? I think he could be the best QB in the draft. Has all of the intangibles plus his style of play may translate well to the NFL.

Except for consistent play against good competition.

UCF won a great deal of close games this year, which can work in one of two different ways - that Bortles has significant poise and is unfazed by situations he finds his team in (which is fine), or that UCF really had some struggles at beating teams that were not very good.

Regarding Bortles himself, I really just think that he's being overvalued due to the dire QB needs of many of those top teams in the draft. My brother is a wanna-be Mel Kiper kind of person who's been doing his own mock drafts (to varying degrees of success) for 15+ years by this point, and he lives in Orlando and has some relatively close ties to UCF, and we both pretty much believe that Bortles is a good QB with an inflated value. He's a bit more down on him than I am (I think he thinks of Bortles in more the 2nd-3rd round range, but don't quote me on that; haven't discussed draft stock for a while now).

When you look at what the Rams did in 2012, they were able to move their 1st round pick and get several 1st and 2nds in return. Their targets would've been overvalued drafted that high, and instead they were able to pick up several skillful players and begin to build the foundation for that roster. It's also what enabled them to have the pieces to move up in the draft last year and draft Tavon Austin. Whoever's drafting #3 - if they need a QB and they really like Bortles, that's fine, but I think Bortles is quite a reach at #3 overall. I don't know for certain - I haven't done all my research and whatnot yet, so I still reserve the right to change my mind on any draft thoughts and projections and such between now and the actual draft.

spacer.png

If I'm Johnny Manziel, I'm pulling an Eli Manning and making sure I don't play for Jacksonville. In fact, I think it'd be stupid not to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If I'm Johnny Manziel, I'm pulling an Eli Manning and making sure I don't play for Jacksonville. In fact, I think it'd be stupid not to.

Who's gonna be Phillip Rivers then?

Blake Bortles or Derek Carr. Although I'd rather it be Bortles, I don't wanna see both of the Carr's careers ruined by bad situations.

To that end, it's too bad the Rams already pilfered the Redskins 1st round pick for this year, because that could've been a very convenient team to negotiate a trade with.

Their second rounder and their next 3 firsts for this one?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived