NFL Draft 2014

tj4eck

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the draft will be affected by what the Eagles decide to do at QB. They are far from committed to Nick Foles. Far. Chip Kelly just doesn't like him for some reason. Possibly his lack of mobility, or possibly just because he wasn't "his" guy.

With Mariota not coming out, the landscape changes some, but it's still very possible that the Eagles will trade up to get a QB if Kelly sees one that he thinks can run his offense. If that happens, then Nick Foles will probably be on the market, and if he can continue this run through the end of the season, he will have a lot of value to a lot of teams.

Kelly did originally get a commitment out of Johnny Football at Oregon... I hope the stick with Foles though, I really like him. Plus I'm not sold on any of the quarterbacks that are predicted to go in the first round. I'd be a lot more comfortable this year if I was a team that was looking in the 3rd-4th round for a backup QB.

As for the Bears, defensive tackle and secondary. Just pile them up. I'd be fine if they didn't pick an offensive player the entire draft (assuming they re-sign Cutler).

I don't know who the other good college players are or other teams' needs, but my hunch is that if Manziel is on the board after the first few "premium" slots, the Eagles will trade up to get him. Whether that means packaging Foles and a 2 or 3 to move up to top 10, or something else, I truely believe that they don't see Nick Foles as their future.

The only thing is that Kelly isn't the GM, and the GM (d-bag wonderkid accountant Howie Roseman) was in the front office when Foles was drafted, so his ego and desire to brag about getting Foles in the 3rd round may win out over Kelly's desire for someone else.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I could see Manziel going mid to late first round as a project. There're some good teams needing quarterbacks soon (patriots, broncos) that could use a project.

The window to win for both a head coach or a GM is too short to spent a 1st round pick on a qb who is considered a "project".

I could see Manziel going mid to late first round as a project. There're some good teams needing quarterbacks soon (patriots, broncos) that could use a project.

The window to win for both a head coach or a GM is too short to spent a 1st round pick on a qb who is considered a "project".

Here's my thinking. Manning/Brady have 2-3 years left in em. Bring in Johnny "Squirt" to carry the clipboard and learn from one of the greatest so the transition is seamless.

Heck I'd even support him coming to Dallas behind romo.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Here's my thinking. Manning/Brady have 2-3 years left in em. Bring in Johnny "Squirt" to carry the clipboard and learn from one of the greatest so the transition is seamless.

The issue there is still the contract, specifically if the team picks up the fifth year option for an unproven player who was drafted in the 1st Round and it must be exercised between the last game of the player's third season and May 3 of the next League Year.

From the Ruling Sports blog:

Example 1-“If a player is picked 1-10, then the 5th year option is going to be the average of the top-10 players at the respective player’s position. So, if you’re quarterback and go number-two in the Draft, then your fifth year option salary will be the average of the top-ten quarterbacks. The option is exercised after the third season, so it would be based upon the top-ten quarterback salaries at that time." They are paid like a Transition FA.

Example 2- "If you’re picked 11-32, then the 5th year club option is the average salary of the top 3rd through 25th player in that position.”

Isn't Mallett the project QB for New England, and Osweiler the project QB for Denver?

Mallett's too old to take over, IMO. They should probably find one in this or next year's draft.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

That's exactly what tge Broncos are doing with Osweiler. As stated earlier, Elway really likes the guy and is banking on him replacing Manning when he calls it quits. While Osweiler may not work out, I'm certain that Elway will at the very least give Osweiler a year or two to prove himself.

jNTsTyQ.png

I am not drinking the Bridgewater Kool Aid... At all. He might go high, but I don't see him translating to the NFL well. Only way is if he goes to a heavy run team with a conservative passing scheme (like Houston, but that will probably change now). I just think he'll be marginal at best.

Regarding Philly's QB situation, I thought about an interesting late-round flyer yesterday for you guys: Jordan Lynch. He's not a polished passer, but he's a talent worth looking in to if you want to run the spread option. He's big enough to hold up in the NFL, too.

RE: my team, the Lions... It's weird to not have any immediate need at the "sexy" positions, but this is honestly one of the first years I've felt like the first pick for this team won't need to contribute in a big way from the get go. It's definitely a luxury. My wish is to get a legit #2 WR that is proven, because we're far too reliant on CJ. If he's out, our offense is total garbage, mostly because we're relying on Kris Durham and like Michael Spurlock (who was just released) for air support. Broyles and Burleson seem to get hurt quite a bit, so a solid WR talent would be a win in my books.

My hope at the moment would be for one of Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, or Jordan Matthews. Solid possession guys.

I am not drinking the Bridgewater Kool Aid... At all. He might go high, but I don't see him translating to the NFL well. Only way is if he goes to a heavy run team with a conservative passing scheme (like Houston, but that will probably change now). I just think he'll be marginal at best.

Regarding Philly's QB situation, I thought about an interesting late-round flyer yesterday for you guys: Jordan Lynch. He's not a polished passer, but he's a talent worth looking in to if you want to run the spread option. He's big enough to hold up in the NFL, too.

RE: my team, the Lions... It's weird to not have any immediate need at the "sexy" positions, but this is honestly one of the first years I've felt like the first pick for this team won't need to contribute in a big way from the get go. It's definitely a luxury. My wish is to get a legit #2 WR that is proven, because we're far too reliant on CJ. If he's out, our offense is total garbage, mostly because we're relying on Kris Durham and like Michael Spurlock (who was just released) for air support. Broyles and Burleson seem to get hurt quite a bit, so a solid WR talent would be a win in my books.

My hope at the moment would be for one of Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, or Jordan Matthews. Solid possession guys.

Having Johnson on one side and mike Evans? That scares me a little

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

My problem with the Eagles looking for a running qb to do the college style stuff is that good college QBs are 20-22 years old and are still unbruised, unbattered, and have youthful legs. Even the best athletes, even without injury, slow down in their late 20s. That's part of the reason why you can't build an offense around a running QB - he isn't the same QB after a few years, and then injures can speed up the degredation. A traditional passer can be as effective as day one well into his 30s. That's why I don't think this offense is a real viable thing - unless you catch lightning in a bottle and have your QB still young and fast, and the team around him to win, you'll never have enough years to put it all together before you're looking for the next QB to run it.

Fortunately we get to see how the rest of the season plays out before any decisions need to be made, so the debate may be moot, but my vote now is to stick with Foles and adapt the offense (kind of like what they're doing) so as not to expose his weaknesses. If Chip Kelly is really as smart as everyone says he is, he should be able to do this and succeed. If not - then he's just a gimmick coach and will end up back in college once he finds out that QBs don't "graduate" in the NFL and simply get replaced by young hotshot recruits.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They have so many needs, it almost doesn't matter who they take as long as he's the best on the board at that point. Maybe OL is set, but there's no depth, and can't count on Peters anymore. I'd even start looking for McCoy's successor, or at least a power guy to complement him. I thought Brown was another Buckhalter, but I was wrong. Man I loved that guy.

I'd even start looking for McCoy's successor

He just turned 25 a couple months ago. Let him set all the franchise records first! geez :D

For those that are interested, here's the draft order after CAR/NO:

1 = Houston

2 = St. Louis (from WSH) :lol: :lol: :lol:

3 = Atlanta

4 = Minnesota

5 = Jacksonville

6 = Cleveland

7 = Oakland

8 = Buffalo

9 = Tampa Bay

10 = Pittsburgh

11 = Tennessee

12 = NY Giants

13 = St. Louis

14 = NY Jets*

15 = San Diego*

16 = Green Bay*

17 = Chicago* -- pick jumps to #14 if they lose

18 = Miami*

19 = Dallas* -- pick jumps to #18 if they lose or they swap #23 with the Eagles if they win

20 = Arizona

----------------------

21 = Detroit

22 = Baltimore

23 = Philadelphia*

24 = Cleveland (from IND)

25 = Cincinnati

26 = San Francisco

27 = Carolina

28 = Kansas City

29 = New England

30 = New Orleans

31 = Seattle

32 = Denver

At this point, I can't envision a scenario where the Eagles move on from Foles, even if he does have value in the trade market. Pocket passers generally have success in the league, and I'm sure they think he'll only get better with another year to learn the system.

I'd bank on the Eagles drafting for defense. Preferably a DE/OLB. I could see them shocking everyone and going WR/TE though too, simply because you can never have enough weapons on offense.

Archived