2014 MLS Changes

kw11333

Rendering of what someone proposed for a U of Miami / Miami MLS stadium combo. Not bad looking:

1896926_705665529473593_1175093796_n.jpg

That's Baylor's new stadium currently under construction, re-colored for Miami.

No way in hell is that downtown Waco. It has about nine too many buildings.

You can clearly tell that the buildings and ocean were photoshopped in. And badly at that.

Is that supposed to be the ocean? I thought it was an artist rendering of a 100-foot-tall aquarium wall.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't call what the NYCFC grassroots by my definition. To me grassroots is something like what the Sons of Ben did with the Union or what Orlando City fans did.

I know I may look like I am putting dirt on NYCFC fans but to me a grassroots movement for a fanbase is being able to get a team and then support it. NY2 came about not because of the Borough Boys or these new NYCFC fans but because Garber wanted a team within the NYC limits.

As for being a fan of NYCFC and Cosmos, I wish you luck, since NYCFC is toxic to a good number of Cosmos fans (I'm not just talking about the tinfoil Teddy disciples).

Nah, it's just the Twitter morons. They're louder than they are numerous.

I have a slightly more expansive definition, perhaps born out of my political work. Nobody alive founded the Democratic or Republican parties, but nobody denies that they have grassroots organizations. Sometimes people outside of the power structure can, purely on their own indicative, rise up and create their own movement. That's exactly what the NYCFC fans are doing, with only moral support from the club.

I wouldn't call what the NYCFC grassroots by my definition. To me grassroots is something like what the Sons of Ben did with the Union or what Orlando City fans did.

I know I may look like I am putting dirt on NYCFC fans but to me a grassroots movement for a fanbase is being able to get a team and then support it. NY2 came about not because of the Borough Boys or these new NYCFC fans but because Garber wanted a team within the NYC limits.

As for being a fan of NYCFC and Cosmos, I wish you luck, since NYCFC is toxic to a good number of Cosmos fans (I'm not just talking about the tinfoil Teddy disciples).

Nah, it's just the Twitter morons. They're louder than they are numerous.

I have a slightly more expansive definition, perhaps born out of my political work. Nobody alive founded the Democratic or Republican parties, but nobody denies that they have grassroots organizations. Sometimes people outside of the power structure can, purely on their own indicative, rise up and create their own movement. That's exactly what the NYCFC fans are doing, with only moral support from the club.

That could be the case as well, but since I debate them from time to time I guess I give their opinion more weight. However I do find that most Cosmos fans have a much more negative opinion of NYCFC than Red Bull.

I understand where you are coming from with your definition but I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Sports teams don't really work like political parties in this country. Especially when you are talking about teams in a rising sport and the emerging culture surrounding that sport. I just can't put NYCFC supporters in the same category as Union and OCSC fans.

-----------

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but NYCFC has appointed a Graphic Designer to help make their new logo (https://twitter.com/wolffmatt) and here are some concepts he came up with.

http://www.matthewwolffdesign.com/portfolio/nyc-fc/

Personally I think the Hyperkat logo is the best and blows the concepts this guy has out of the water.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Yeah, feeling like a good monogram is a must for this team. Something so New York about it.

That I will agree with since the Yankees (the minority owners) have one of the most famous monogram in all of sports.

This is probably the best NYCFC concept to have a monogram.

nycfc_brand_id_skyblue_23_o.jpg

It's probably my second favorite NYCFC concept out there.

Yeah, feeling like a good monogram is a must for this team. Something so New York about it.

That I will agree with since the Yankees (the minority owners) have one of the most famous monogram in all of sports.

This is probably the best NYCFC concept to have a monogram.

nycfc_brand_id_skyblue_23_o.jpg

It's probably my second favorite NYCFC concept out there.

I like how traditional this one looks. If you put 15 or 16 on there (not sure when they start play), it would almost seems as if it stood for 1915 or 1916.

I like the hyperakt (obviously) and the Milo crest best as well. More than what I saw from the hired designer, at least so far.

I was on an NYCFC board and most of us seemed to agree that

1) we don't like the Statue of Liberty iconography;

2) we like the following-- skyskrapers with spires, bridges, and subway elements;

3) we like the pentagon because it symbolizes an old subway token and also the five boroughs-- but feel it should be pointed up not down;

4) we love a good interlocking NYC;

5) we are concern that the obvious light blue dark blue color scheme is already done several times in MLS alone. I hope the colors are distinctive.

I think most of us hope that the identity is not overly derivative of Man City.

No way they will use orange, There must be too much bad blood already between the Mets and this team-- there was the almost-deal back before the financial crash and Madoff scam,and then more recently the Flushing Meadows stadium controversy... then on top of everything the Yankees stepped in took a minority ownership.

It's too bad because you are right it would have been unique. But, I can't see it happening.

Yeah, I think orange is out. I rather like the navy/sky color scheme, partly because it's unique in the city, partly because I like the RGB thing we've got going, and partly because I like using multiple shades of the same color (as anyone following the Milwaukee Bucks thread will tell you).

Sozopol, you mind if I ask what board you were oh?

Colors:

It may not be ok since this is the Yankees not Mets but I could see doing a light blue, navy blue, orange combo. It would be unique in MLS and allow them a tie to the city flag, and both parent teams.

The Dynamo have a orange, black, white, and sky blue color scheme which would be kind of close to that, but it would be better than the large amount with red and blue (Zombie Chivas, New England, Dallas, Red Bull, and Salt Lake).

And Chicago.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived