2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And no Red Sox or Yankees to trip them up.

Hard to believe they haven't made the playoffs since 2009.

Yeah, right? It's kind of nice.

Obviously still the division to collect in a few days, but this season has been pretty good. Mike Trout's first playoff berth, first team to clinch a playoff spot, best record in baseball, 10 game division lead, it's just all great.

I said at the beginning of the season if they could all stay healthy and fix the bullpen somewhere, this Angels team would be good. Now they did lose Richards and lost Hamilton for a spell here and there, but they've stayed mostly healthy and the bullpen is a solid unit. And when I said they had the potential to be good, I was looking at one of the Wild Cards. But with Texas face planting, Oakland's collapse, and this team rallying together and putting together this impressive August/September run, the Angels sit clear on top of everybody. EVERYBODY.

I'm going to enjoy the rest of this month for all that it's worth, but now the stakes have changed from "gee it'd be nice to get a Wild Card" to, pardon my crownking here, "World Series or bust." I'm excited to be back in the playoffs. I'm excited to win the division. I'm excited to see what Mike Trout does when the big lights come on. Postseason, here we come.

Go Halos.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

If the Yankees get the second wild card, and beat Detroit, Kansas City, or Oakland, and upset the Angels in the ALDS, it would be one of the greatest postseasons of the highest order.
They are 6 games back you idiot, they arent getting a wild card spot. Only the most delusional of fans would believe they have a shot (aka crownking)

I, for one, would welcome a Yankees-Orioles matchup in the ALCS, given the fact that the Orioles are currently 11-4 against the Evil Empire this year..

Buck, Yeah!

Oh, yeah . . . the first half of that matchup isn't happening.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If the Yankees get the second wild card, and beat Detroit, Kansas City, or Oakland, and upset the Angels in the ALDS, it would be one of the greatest postseasons of the highest order.
They are 6 games back you idiot, they arent getting a wild card spot. Only the most delusional of fans would believe they have a shot (aka crownking)

I'm not an idiot, got it? The Yankees are the Yankees. When they don't win, it's not nice to be in New York. Fans get angry. You hear reports of potential firings and trades. You hear about them all week on the local media. Anything can happen with the second wild card.

I'm not an idiot, got it? The Yankees are the Yankees. When they don't win, it's not nice to be in New York. Fans get angry. You hear reports of potential firings and trades. You hear about them all week on the local media. Anything can happen with the second wild card.
How does any of that have to do with the Yankees having a realistic shot at the playoffs? You are a moron and dont have a clue about what would need to happen for them to get into the playoffs.

Not even Captain Gift Basket's intangibles will be enough to get the Yankees into the postseason. These aren't the 1996-2000 Yankees. They aren't the 2009 Yankees. They are a mediocre team that can't score runs. And even if they were a good team, the hole they're in would be too big to crawl out of. If the Royals lose every game left, the Yankees would have to win 6 of their last 13 just to tie them (and they'd need Seattle and Toronto to suck almost as much). I'm not sure if they can even do that.

Oh, and one of the few players actually playing well for them lately, Martin Prado, is now out for the season with an appendectomy.

And New York is a terrific place to be when the Yankees don't win.

You realize all of that happens even when the Yankees are winning?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Not even Captain Gift Basket's intangibles will be enough to get the Yankees into the postseason. These aren't the 1996-2000 Yankees. They aren't the 2009 Yankees. They are a mediocre team that can't score runs. And even if they were a good team, the hole they're in would be too big to crawl out of. If the Royals lose every game left, the Yankees would have to win 6 of their last 13 just to tie them (and they'd need Seattle and Toronto to suck almost as much). I'm not sure if they can even do that.

Oh, and one of the few players actually playing well for them lately, Martin Prado, is now out for the season with an appendectomy.

And New York is a terrific place to be when the Yankees don't win.

The Yankees should slowly rebuild if they miss the postseason for the second straight year, but we'll see if rebuilding is acceptable to some fans.

Archived