Jason Collins to the Nets

TheRicSlick

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's publicity and nothing more.

Either way, congratulations to Collins being the first publicly gay athlete to be on a "big 4" sports team!

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Publicity? The Nets are selling 95% of capacity even struggling on the court as they are. I've been to several games this season, and the house is both packed and electric. Plus they continue to move tons of merchandise. The one thing this team doesn't need is cheap publicity.

They do need a big man, though. And if he can play then he'll fit the very large hole they have in the squad.

Lot of teams, that would be true. But I'm not seeing that as a particularly compelling reason for them to sign him.

You mean second-place team. Only four games out with thirty to play. They've not given up on the season.

And if he works out, they'll sign him to a longer contract. Makes sense to me when you're talking about a player who's been out of the league.

Will he be great for merchandising? Sure. I'll finally buy my 8-year-old the jersey he's been asking for. But there are also very good basketball reasons for them to give him a try, since they're still very much in the playoff hunt.

It's publicity and nothing more.

Either way, congratulations to Collins being the first publicly gay athlete to be on a "big 4" sports team!

i have nothing against gays in sports, but i think this is a publicity stunt to get people in stands and talking about the nba. with all the news with michael sam. the nba wanted to say that they were the first to have an active gay player in the "big 4" sports. also i think more players would be coming out soon in the "big 4" north america sports (maybe people we had no idea that they were gay).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I can name one thing that the NBA wants more than having the first openly gay player: playoff games in Brooklyn.

If you think that the Nets, scratching for a playoff spot, would sacrifice a roster spot for PR, or that the league would ask them to, then I have a bridge to sell you. It's rather convenient to the Nets' arena, actually. :P

Well, I suppose that's better than "publicity and nothing more."

But yes, I can see that they might think he's the best big man readily available, based on their long history with him. Especially since they failed to land Jordan Hill; it's not like Collins was their first choice. And who else is out there?

I think its 50/50. Because you can't honestly believe Jason Collins is the best available big man

The other "big men" available are DeSagana Diop, Tim Ohibrecht, Johan Petro, Earl Barron, Drew Gooden, Chris Wilcox, and Joel Przybilla. It's not exactly inconceivable that the Nets really saw Collins as the best option.

PJU85JF.png

For my son? Sure. For what he represents. And if he can help get them to the playoffs, more's the better.

But not for me - I'm one of those guys who think jerseys are almost always inappropriate for a grown-up to wear, and basketball singlets are always inappropriate.

Can you even order a jersey for a player who hasn't suited up yet and may not play on the team for more than 10 days and may not play more than 10 minutes in those 10 days? I'm assuming they won't be producing them, so would that be a customized order?

I fail to understand any argument about how this is for publicity. As has been previously mentioned, the Nets aren't lacking in that department, and there's just not other better options out there. If it was a coin flip between him and someone else, then sure - maybe someone in the FO said that it'd be good PR to be the first team to welcome in an openly gay player - but I can't imagine that his being gay had any bearing on the decision besides possibly that unlikely scenario, and even then, they may have just literally flipped the coin.

Hasn't he been trying to get back into the league for a while now? Maybe his agent has been calling the Nets and / or other teams non-stop and someone finally bit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can you even order a jersey for a player who hasn't suited up yet and may not play on the team for more than 10 days and may not play more than 10 minutes in those 10 days? I'm assuming they won't be producing them, so would that be a customized order?

I wouldn't be surprised if they produced some, given the significance of the signing. I'm sure there's other people out there like Gothamite who want to buy one because of what Collins stands for.

I feel like if it was a PR stunt, they would have signed him for the beginning of the season. Closer to the announcement, not four months into the season when it's not a hot story anymore.

Archived