Twins Uniform Update for 2015

OnWis97

Details are up now on the Twins website, twins.mlb.com

649_uniform_infographic.jpg

Why does it say "new alternate cap"... wouldn't that just be the new standard home hat? Am I over thinking it and reading too much into nothing?

20141024_bjh_184-31.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

*No Joe Mauers were harmed in the photo shoot of this jersey unveiling.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate this. It really isn't a bad look if you take out the gold (which makes the outline of the script look like puke), but this is just a way too big departure from the team's identity over the past 25+ years. They've worn the same thing (which I always thought was pretty good) my entire life, and that's how I know the team.

- Minnesota Twins - Minnesota Golden Gophers - Dallas Stars - Dallas Mavericks - Norwich City FC -

- Texas Tech Red Raiders - FC DallasMinnesota Vikings - Borussia Dortmund -

Details are up now on the Twins website, twins.mlb.com

Why does it say "new alternate cap"... wouldn't that just be the new standard home hat? Am I over thinking it and reading too much into nothing?

*No Joe Mauers were harmed in the photo shoot of this jersey unveiling.

Really? Because Joe Mauers are usually harmed doing things like this. I suspect he strained something while participating in this shoot and we'll see him in July.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yawn... another navy-dominant RWB team in the MLB. Not even the gold trim saves this from being a massive bore. They should have gone with Vikings purple and yellow if they wanted a dramatic change.

Why would the Twins emulate the Vikings? The Twins don't suck at existing.
That's debatable - the Twins were thisclose to being contracted, after all. B)

Regardless, purple and yellow would be a unique color scheme in the MLB (a league that sorely needs unique color schemes), and it would really pop in their new outdoor ballpark.

Meanwhile, switching to an emphasis on navy and adding the superfluous gold trim only muddles their uniforms while still failing to distinguish them from the rest of the league. Also, the gold trim doesn't appear on any of their other uniforms, and they are still using three differently-styled script wordmarks at once (home, road, throwback). Aesthetically, they're now the Cowboys of the MLB: a total mess of discordant color schemes and designs.

Vintage Lights Out. Abandon decades of visual equity (and a couple world championships) so you can look like a high school team who ripped the TC logo. Stupid.

I don't disagree that this new look is a bad approach, but switching to purple and yellow is a dumb idea. Why? Because of the Vikings? Hey Royals, you should look like the Chiefs because you look too much like the Dodgers! Forget your history! History doesn't matter!

Purple and yellow would be horrendous for the Twins, what kind of way of standing out is dressing up as another team in your own own city? It REEKS of piggy backing of another team's identity. I have no problem with the Twins ditching the navy and red, but that's one of the worst solutions.

Well, they're currently piggybacking off the majority of the league by being an RWB team.

No they aren't.

PvO6ZWJ.png

After seeing them, man that gold drop shadow is way too prominent on the numbers and logo. I thought it'd be more like the Giants. Its just another tone-deaf move by the Twins. You go to the game, and seriously 1/4 of the crowd is wearing baby blue of some sort. We wore it from 73-86 on the road only, yet it resonates. RWB with a Babyblue hint would be unique and cool. Yes, KC kind of owns it a bit, but it'd be WAY better than gold for no reason. I see what they are saying with the sandstone, the same thing the Wild did.

Baseball's different from other sports, though. It's generally accepted that a team might look totally different in their road uniforms. Take the Tigers - they've worn the same home uniform for forever, but they've tinkered with their road uniforms many times throughout history and wear a color that you don't see on the home uniforms. Most people don't have a problem with that.

Other examples: The Yankees wear pinstripes at home, but on the road they wear plain gray uniforms with 70's style sleeve cuffs. The Red Sox have gone through a couple phases wear they wore road uniforms with no red on the jerseys. The Rockies use purple lettering and numbers on their road uniforms, but the home pinstripes use black/silver on the lettering/numbers. The Dbacks use to wear puprle dominant home uniforms with almost no black and then black dominant road uniforms, not to mention two different hat logos. Etc.

I think it's worse when other sports vary wildly from their home to road to alternate looks.

That doesn't mean I like the Twins new home look or that it doesn't match the existing roads. They look like a bad version of the 2004 Nationals.

But usually the different home and road looks are dramatic enough that tgey don't clash, and it's clear that the look is intentional. With the twins, the home and road are kinda close, but very far off. They clash. It looks like the road was a mistake - like someone forgot an outline, or messed up the shape of the tail, etc.

There's no excuse for the mess the twins created

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Baseball's different from other sports, though. It's generally accepted that a team might look totally different in their road uniforms. Take the Tigers - they've worn the same home uniform for forever, but they've tinkered with their road uniforms many times throughout history and wear a color that you don't see on the home uniforms. Most people don't have a problem with that.

Other examples: The Yankees wear pinstripes at home, but on the road they wear plain gray uniforms with 70's style sleeve cuffs. The Red Sox have gone through a couple phases wear they wore road uniforms with no red on the jerseys. The Rockies use purple lettering and numbers on their road uniforms, but the home pinstripes use black/silver on the lettering/numbers. The Dbacks use to wear puprle dominant home uniforms with almost no black and then black dominant road uniforms, not to mention two different hat logos. Etc.

I think it's worse when other sports vary wildly from their home to road to alternate looks.

That doesn't mean I like the Twins new home look or that it doesn't match the existing roads. They look like a bad version of the 2004 Nationals.

But usually the different home and road looks are dramatic enough that tgey don't clash, and it's clear that the look is intentional. With the twins, the home and road are kinda close, but very far off. They clash. It looks like the road was a mistake - like someone forgot an outline, or messed up the shape of the tail, etc.

There's no excuse for the mess the twins created

Right. It's worse than the Giants' ill-advised roads. It's like the Tigers, except for the fact that the Tigers have used orange exclusively on the road for a very long time. If the Tigers were an expansion team, we would ridicule them for not using orange at home. The Twins deserve far more ridicule because they have had numerous looks in their history, none of which justify this silliness.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Unpopular opinion: I LOVE the gold, and I hope they incorporate it on the road uni and alts for 2016. (The throwback is just that - a throwback, so I wouldn't expect it.) History, shmistory. I loved the Mets in black AT FIRST (granted I was 11).

If the gold is really as unpopular as it seems here, it's only a matter of time before they ditch it. But as someone with no ties to Minnesota, I'm happy to see one of the numerous red/blue teams do something unique (even if the Nats did it first - which IMO is a weak critique because this looks NOTHING like that set.)

After seeing them, man that gold drop shadow is way too prominent on the numbers and logo. I thought it'd be more like the Giants. Its just another tone-deaf move by the Twins. You go to the game, and seriously 1/4 of the crowd is wearing baby blue of some sort. We wore it from 73-86 on the road only, yet it resonates. RWB with a Babyblue hint would be unique and cool. Yes, KC kind of owns it a bit, but it'd be WAY better than gold for no reason. I see what they are saying with the sandstone, the same thing the Wild did.

I'm not sure I'd come to the same conclusion re: baby blue and the Twins. I have a powder blue throwback, too, but not because I'm pining for its return. I wear it because it's a throwback and it's a pullover, which I prefer to the button fronts. I think the powder blue trend was a product of its era that afflicted Milwaukee, Seattle, Montreal, Philadelphia, Texas, etc. Really, KC is probably the only market that can justify its return.

So, does this change means the end to the throwback uniforms or does this mean they are adding a 3rd white uniform into the mix?

If this alternate uniforms means that they'll wear the normal homes on a much more regular basis, then it's almost worth it.

The Twins/Senators/Nationals have worn navy and red since 1901. They don't have to change.

I agree, and I feel the same way when you suggest the Indians adopt brown and red.

I walked right into that one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Unpopular opinion: I LOVE the gold, and I hope they incorporate it on the road uni and alts for 2016. (The throwback is just that - a throwback, so I wouldn't expect it.) History, shmistory. I loved the Mets in black AT FIRST (granted I was 11).

If the gold is really as unpopular as it seems here, it's only a matter of time before they ditch it. But as someone with no ties to Minnesota, I'm happy to see one of the numerous red/blue teams do something unique (even if the Nats did it first - which IMO is a weak critique because this looks NOTHING like that set.)

More people are complaining about inconsistency than they are about the gold itself. You're opinion really isn't that unpopular.

The Twins just can't get their :censored: together.

The biggest mess of an identity in pro sports? Gold only on their home uniforms, three completely different style wordmarks, pinstripes/piping/trim depending on the uniform, three different shoulder patches. Excluding random one-off uniforms, are there any teams that have been more mismatched?

Did the Brewers get contracted?

Then no... they're not even the biggest mess of an identity in their sport.

So, does this change means the end to the throwback uniforms or does this mean they are adding a 3rd white uniform into the mix?

If this alternate uniforms means that they'll wear the normal homes on a much more regular basis, then it's almost worth it.

This uniform becomes the primary home, throwback remains as an alternate.

Archived