Detroit Red Wings Tweak

Htown1141

BEFORE YOU LOOK AT THE LOG AND TELL ME THAT I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON FOR TOUCHING THE UNTOUCHABLE, LET ME SAY THAT I AM A DIE HARD RED WINGS FAN AND LOVE THE TEAM AND LOGO MORE THAN A LOT OF PEOPLE COULD IMAGINE FROM WHERE I LIVE. NOW I SUGGEST TO BE OPEN TO THE CHANGES, THEY ARE MINOR BUT I BELIEVE THEY ARE WORTHWHILE. THANKS FOR READING THIS, AND GO ON AHEAD AND C&C.

Ah, the Detroit Red Wings, one of the most iconic sports teams of all time, with a classic logo, untouched for years. It's recognized by any sports fanatic in north America, even all around the world. However......

I felt it needed an update. The feathers looked, well, boring, and I felt I could update the logo. Second, I un-tilted the wheel because it didn't really look right tilted. I can't think of anything else, so

C&C APPRECIATED :)

eHNed3H.png

This is a nice upgrade. I'm happy you stuck to tradition. Nice.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I think you added way too much detail to the feathers and the highlights on the wheels now match the feathers which seems strange because they aren't the same thing. The parts I do like are at the top right of the feather which is what I would like to see more of throughout. It would be better if there were less points in some of the feathers and some more white areas in between them as well. I prefer the hub smaller like it is in the current mark.

I think the added detail on the feathers here adds to the appreciation of the design close up, without interfering with its clarity from a distance. This is commendable, since extra detail often can interfere with that clarity from a distance.

This update carries forward from the current logo an issue that I find odd, where the form of the wheel blends with the form of the wings. This not just from an overall red outline- if you look at the top and below, the white parts of the wheel and wing blend seamlessly together. Earlier versions did keep the wings more distinct from the wheel. I think a thin red line to define the outer edge of the front wing would really help. The wings should join the wheel only at the hub; otherwise, the wings on this imaginary creation couldn't flap to make it fly...

Finally, as in the previous versions, the wheel in this classic, attractive logo is presented as a two-dimensional disc, while the front and barely-seen rear wings are drawn with some degree of three-dimensional depth. Rotating the view slightly to show some of the front of the wheel could resolve this.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

I think the added detail on the feathers here adds to the appreciation of the design close up, without interfering with its clarity from a distance. This is commendable, since extra detail often can interfere with that clarity from a distance.

This update carries forward from the current logo an issue that I find odd, where the form of the wheel blends with the form of the wings. This not just from an overall red outline- if you look at the top and below, the white parts of the wheel and wing blend seamlessly together. Earlier versions did keep the wings more distinct from the wheel. I think a thin red line to define the outer edge of the front wing would really help. The wings should join the wheel only at the hub; otherwise, the wings on this imaginary creation couldn't flap to make it fly...

Finally, as in the previous versions, the wheel in this classic, attractive logo is presented as a two-dimensional disc, while the front and barely-seen rear wings are drawn with some degree of three-dimensional depth. Rotating the view slightly to show some of the front of the wheel could resolve this.

It's really funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing. However, I was really wanting to update the little things. Now that someone else has brought it up, I'll see if I can keep it classic and still add the little things.

Given the "minor" tweeks the logo, this would be a very acceptable update. Much like the update to "bubbles" (the Lion's long time helmet logo, minus the Black border). It looks awesome!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

It wouldn't be the first time they re-touched their winged-wheel, so there's no reason why they shouldn't change...

6627.gifaygjgdxtxng8mgeyh3d0i1sc7.gif6628.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Exactly what I was thinking.

It's a tweak--and less of one than the examples above.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived