2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

Logano is a million dollars richer but I have to agree with Tony, this format was the most screwed up in a long time...

However, I was impressed with Larson's driving for a while & the heat races was better than the actual race itself.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Indy XFinity race, NASCAR should use the Showdown format.  Three segments.  First two winners, front row.  Last segment winner and runner up, second row.  After the last segment, the top four eligible racers are qualified for the bonus.  If segment winners are eligible, well, they're eligible.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

NASCAR is still saying they had not anticipating Kenseth's situation and therefore couldn't do anything to fix it.  I've slept on it and still call bullshirt!  They could have just removed him from the lead, returned the laps to the drivers he caught down, and went on from there.  NASCAR either overthought - what would our fans think if he did something common sense - or didn't even think of using common sense.  

The format was fine.  Just tweak it some: only one mandatory green flag stop, it's during the first segment, and between laps 15 and 40.  If a driver fails to make it, whether not doing it or being caught, he is black flagged and loses a lap.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Today is the announcement for the 2017 Class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Here's the five I think are going to get in:

1) Benny Parsons

2) Rick Hendrick

3) Ken Squier

4) Alan Kulwicki

5) Mark Martin

There are a lot of decorated nominees in this years' class, but I think these five should get in when the Class is announced later today.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

The 2017 NASCAR hall of fame are...

Rick Hendrick

Richard Childress

Benny Parsons (FINALLY)

Raymond Parks

Mark Martin

I'm not surprised that Benny got in, I'm more surprised that it took so long! Hendrick & Childress I had a feeling that they were going to get in, just not that quick. I'm surprised that Ricky Rudd hasn't gotten in but I know he will.

baltimoreravens.png

Well, I started out 3-for-3 with Parsons, Hendrick and Martin. Did not get Raymond Parks and Richard Childress getting in this year.

15 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

I'm surprised that Ricky Rudd hasn't gotten in but I know he will.

Rudd was in his first year of eligibility, so he's got a lot of chances left to get his Hall Call. I'm not sure how the eligibility works for the NASCAR Hall of Fame, but he should get in; my gut says within the next 5 years.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

The 24 team unveiled his Darlington paint scheme today which is based on old NAPA parts delivery trucks from the 1960's.

24napa-throwback.jpg

So far, my favorite of the Darlinton Paint schemes belong to Kevin Harvick and Brad Keselowski, though.

4busch-throwback-diecast.jpg

2lite-throwback-tpfb.jpg

IUe6Hvh.png

On 5/26/2016 at 0:44 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Well, I started out 3-for-3 with Parsons, Hendrick and Martin. Did not get Raymond Parks and Richard Childress getting in this year.

Rudd was in his first year of eligibility, so he's got a lot of chances left to get his Hall Call. I'm not sure how the eligibility works for the NASCAR Hall of Fame, but he should get in; my gut says within the next 5 years.

Hopefully. Grew up a Rudd fan, and I'm a massive homer, but despite no championships or Daytona 500s(which Mark Martin didn't have either), he won the Brickyard, had the Iron Man streak until last year, and currently has the longest consecutive streak for years with a win(which Johnson should break in the next season or two). That's a pretty good case in my mind. You think that if he stayed in a ride that wasn't his own in the 90s, he may have had a handful of more wins.

46 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Not to deviate from NASCAR, but watching the Indy 500 got me thinking... could you imagine the Indy Cars racing on Martinsville? Would it even be possible?

I don't know, it could work. But the field would probably have to be on the small side. Ain't no way IndyCar could pull off a 33 car field at The Paperclip.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

24 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I don't know, it could work. But the field would probably have to be on the small side. Ain't no way IndyCar could pull off a 33 car field at The Paperclip.

They only run 33 for the Indy 500. Typically, 22-24 cars run all other series races.

IndyCar has run at Richmond in the last decade, with 15 second laps  so if there was a sponsor, they would at least try.

SN: God, I wish IndyCar would return to RIR.

Results from Charlotte:

1. Truex Jr.

2. Harvick

3. Johnson

4. Hamlin

5. Keselowski

6. Kurt Busch

7. Kenseth

8. Elliott

9. Logano

10. Newman

No surprise here, Truex Jr. had the car all night. It was pure dominance. Despite runs from Harvick & Johnson, 2 near cautions near the end, Truex Jr. survives! It was a well earned victory. Well done Martin!

Next up Pocono

baltimoreravens.png

Absolutely dominant race by Martin Truex Jr...

392/400 laps lead (588/600 miles)

Just incredible. Has to go down as one of the top performances in NASCAR in recent history. Hell maybe even the entire history of NASCAR.

It was truly such a great win for the entire sport.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

That looks really sexy and I'm the farthest thing from a Joey Logano fan

Agreed. That 44 car was one of the first die-casts I ever owned, so I'm glad it's coming back. Too bad they didn't replicate it fully, as the full Shell logo would look better than the Pennzoil/Shell combo. 

Hopefully next year he pulls out the Ward Burton 22 scheme. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

3 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Agreed. That 44 car was one of the first die-casts I ever owned, so I'm glad it's coming back. Too bad they didn't replicate it fully, as the full Shell logo would look better than the Pennzoil/Shell combo. 

Hopefully next year he pulls out the Ward Burton 22 scheme. 

You'd have better luck with Ryan Newman running it in a CAT sponsored car

Archived