2016 CFL Uniforms

docrocket

Honestly. Just drop the blue helmets. 

IMG_20160630_235406.jpg

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I can't keep up any more... are these whites alternates?  Keep the whites permanent, at least on the road.  

I believe they are alternates. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

7 minutes ago, bleuet said:

Montreal definitely should wear the white helmet for the whole season. Also, White pants home is a great idea.

Silver always looks forced and out of place for them. Ditching it would do wonders.

Argos should just use the bigger decals on both the blue and white helmets.  I'm not sure why they continue to use the smaller decals on the blue helmets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/24/2016 at 3:04 PM, mr.negative15 said:

The "rouge" is basically the U.S. equivalent of a kicked touchback, and is worth 1 point for the kicking team. So in this case a missed FG still wins the game if it was tied.

The Argos could have run it out, but the end zones are 20 yards deep so he probably have been tackled (thus conceding points).

You're allowed to kick the ball at any time in Canadian football, so they do (to avoid the rouge or giving up that extra point) that's why you also see a second kick from Montreal and yet another (very weak) kick back from the Argos, which let to the touchdown.

Also, the CFL uses "no yards" instead of the fair-catch rule (similar to rugby union) - the kicking team must give the catcher a 5-yard halo to catch the ball before attempting to tackle.

I believe that the Argos were hoping to tackle the Alouette who caught the ball before getting in the end zone to keep the game tied. I don't think they were expecting that

Montreal would kick the ball back....but obviously I have no way of knowing that for sure. 

WHY DID THE ARGO GUY CATCH THE MISSED FG?  IF IT HAD GONE OUT OF BOUNDS, WOULD MTL HAVE SCORED A ROUGE ON THE MISSED FG??? SO CONFUSED!!

28 minutes ago, Buffalo said:

WHY DID THE ARGO GUY CATCH THE MISSED FG?  IF IT HAD GONE OUT OF BOUNDS, WOULD MTL HAVE SCORED A ROUGE ON THE MISSED FG??? SO CONFUSED!!

Because the Als would have also scored a point if the ball was not returned out of the end zone.  The Argo returner was forced to return it out of the end zone to avoid conceding the game winning point to the Als.  When he realized he wasn't going to make it out of the end zone, he elected to kick it back to Montreal.  This gives possession essentially back to Montreal, but is useful in a situation like this, with no time on the clock.

The CFL also has an on-side punt, which I have yet to wrap my head around.  It can be done from scrimmage or after a play has commenced.  I saw someone attempt it last week during the last play of a game.  From what I could take from it, it seems like a way (in this particular situation) to advance the ball downfield via a kick.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

1 hour ago, HailGoldPants said:

Because the Als would have also scored a point if the ball was not returned out of the end zone.  The Argo returner was forced to return it out of the end zone to avoid conceding the game winning point to the Als.  When he realized he wasn't going to make it out of the end zone, he elected to kick it back to Montreal.  This gives possession essentially back to Montreal, but is useful in a situation like this, with no time on the clock.

The CFL also has an on-side punt, which I have yet to wrap my head around.  It can be done from scrimmage or after a play has commenced.  I saw someone attempt it last week during the last play of a game.  From what I could take from it, it seems like a way (in this particular situation) to advance the ball downfield via a kick.

Wait wait wait, so a missed FG is worth 1 point in the CFL?  Huh?

39 minutes ago, Buffalo said:

Wait wait wait, so a missed FG is worth 1 point in the CFL?  Huh?

If the receiving team fails to bring a kick out of the endzone, the kicking team is awarded one point. This applies to missed field goals, punts and kickoffs (although if a kickoff goes out of the back of the endzone, it's simply a touchback and no points are awarded). 

More to what Buffalo said, any player can also punt the ball at any time. If said player's teammates are onside, they are eligible to recover the punt. It's usually done in desperate situations or at the end of a half when there are no repercussions. It's pretty rare though. The best execution of this in recent memory was when Toronto punted a kickoff back to Winnipeg and got an extra point right before the end of the first half. It made a big difference since Toronto won by two points. 

One question about Canadian rules: 

Let's say you're at the opponent's 1 (or anywhere close) with one second left in a tie game. Instead of trying to kick a field goal, could you just bring your punter on to punt it out of the end zone for a game-winning single? Or is there a rule against  such things like intentional rouges?

21 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Let's say you're at the opponent's 1 (or anywhere close) with one second left in a tie game. Instead of trying to kick a field goal, could you just bring your punter on to punt it out of the end zone for a game-winning single? Or is there a rule against  such things like intentional rouges?

It's allowed 

zyyMk1d.png

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

It would be illogical though, even though is legal.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

4 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Yup. This is how a Hamilton, Ontario high school football championship was won TWO YEARS in the row back in the mid-90's.  Each time the CHAMPIONSHIP game ended 1-0 with the punter booting it through the end zone with no time on the clock!

Archived