How Many Major Pro Sports Teams Could Las Vegas Support?

4_tattoos

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I thought the minimum stadium seating requirement for the NFL was 70,000?

The norm right now is somewhere in the upper 60s.  The Cowboys and the Jets/Giants have bigger stadiums, but most new stadiums are under 70,000.

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

50,000 actually is the bare minimum, but the league would allow that little seating only for temporary stadiums, like the Vikings playing at 52,000-seat TCF Bank Stadium the last couple years until US Bank Stadium was complete.

Only problem is Vegas' biggest current stadium is Sam Boyd and that seats 40,000 max. They'd (the Raiders?) need the new stadium to open before being able to relocate there.

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Oh c'mon. Using Cleveland as a punishment is hardly "Clevejacking" a thread. 

Could've jumped a plane to see the Lions or Bills. But thanks for allowing me to dust off the ol' classic. B)

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, generalshepherd141 said:

50,000 actually is the bare minimum, but the league would allow that little seating only for temporary stadiums, like the Vikings playing at 52,000-seat TCF Bank Stadium the last couple years until US Bank Stadium was complete.

Only problem is Vegas' biggest current stadium is Sam Boyd and that seats 40,000 max. They'd (the Raiders?) need the new stadium to open before being able to relocate there.

Sam Boyd has an open end where the scoreboard is located; they could build temporary stands at the end, barring if they re-locate the scoreboard.

Sam_Boyd_Stadium.jpg

7 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

Sam Boyd has an open end where the scoreboard is located; they could build temporary stands at the end, barring if they re-locate the scoreboard.

Sam_Boyd_Stadium.jpg

A single deck stadium with no cover over the stands, metal bleachers over concrete risers, and an artificial field? In the middle of the desert? I'm guessing that stadium would turn into a frying pan for any afternoon games before, say, November.

Imagine sitting (or playing) an August preseason game there... Pretty sure everyone in that stadium would be cooked well done by the end of that game.

I never thought the NHL would be the first team to Vegas, but I still think it'll be a failure.  Maybe not up from, but eventually. 

The NFL is best suited for Vegas since it allows for 10 home dates plus no local TV agreements.

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

A single deck stadium with no cover over the stands, metal bleachers over concrete risers, and an artificial field? In the middle of the desert? I'm guessing that stadium would turn into a frying pan for any afternoon games before, say, November.

Imagine sitting (or playing) an August preseason game there... Pretty sure everyone in that stadium would be cooked well done by the end of that game.

Plus the high school, Bishop Gorman, has better practice facilities than UNLV does.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Unlv  has the most in donations In the mountain  west  conference  plus  football  got a 2m$ donation  and yet they can't build a new  stadium  like wtf

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

Hockey as the first "Big Four" team will do well.

Raiders coming, well yes, since the Monopoly makes money despite of their faux pas

MLS, no way.  Sacramento, Cincinnati, St. Louis, San Antonio have pulled away from the meadows.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

3 hours ago, StaatsBrett said:

Unlv  has the most in donations In the mountain  west  conference  plus  football  got a 2m$ donation  and yet they can't build a new  stadium  like wtf

UNLV keeps getting mentioned as a likely room-mate for the Raiders should they have a new stadium built out in Vegas. I just don't get it. That's a mid major program, with no chance at joining a P5 conference. Sam Boyd is more than adequate for them IMO. Just build a canopy over the seats.

But if UNLV tagging along is the only way an NFL team ends up going to Vegas, so be it.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, StaatsBrett said:

Like $2M buys a lot, even in Las Vegas in terms of construction. Donations shouldn't be your revenue source as donations come with promises to those who donated.

You realize that exactly this time last year, their season ticket sales were less than 5,000, right? That's for season tickets which were only $230 plus a loyalty fee of $50-75/seat.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/unlv-sports/unlv-athletics-meets-budget-first-time-years

Bottom line is NHL and NBA (still) are more gate driven and need local TV revenue to claim big enough not to cry poor. When NFL franchise gets a nine figure check every June which basically takes care of your largest expense before you sell a ticket makes you able to dominate the marketplace.

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

UNLV keeps getting mentioned as a likely room-mate for the Raiders should they have a new stadium built out in Vegas. I just don't get it. That's a mid major program, with no chance at joining a P5 conference. Sam Boyd is more than adequate for them IMO. Just build a canopy over the seats.

But if UNLV tagging along is the only way an NFL team ends up going to Vegas, so be it.

From a convenience standpoint, the UNLV campus is a mile east of the Strip, which is one of the potential sites they're looking to build a NFL stadium.  One possible problem, however, is that McCarran Airport sits across Tropicana Avenue from the UNLV campus, and like in Santa Clara and somewhat in Inglewood, the FAA has their own share of concerns.

If a stadium get built, I imagine it'll get built a little further north, perhaps towards Downtown.

22 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

22 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The norm right now is somewhere in the upper 60s.  The Cowboys and the Jets/Giants have bigger stadiums, but most new stadiums are under 70,000.

70K is the minimum capacity for a Super Bowl in their bid book.

http://m.startribune.com/no-10-nfl-had-a-long-pricey-and-secret-super-bowl-wish-list-for-minneapolis/262253921/

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Well, you'd think the city of Las Vegas would want to host the Super Bowl. Whether the league would want to have it there, not so sure.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

45 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Well, you'd think the city of Las Vegas would want to host the Super Bowl. Whether the league would want to have it there, not so sure.

You can add temporary seats for the Super Bowl.  Even the Cowboys added temporary seats to their stadium (which turned into a huge fiasco, but that's beside the point).

Archived