Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buckeye

Seattle Arena

68 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, colortv said:

We'll see what happens with that arena. It only holds 16k for basketball and seems pretty cookie cutter.

Nothing well occur to it.

New Orleans has a metro population of just 1.2M.

Plus, they must pour more $$$ into the Superdome (again) first.

10 minutes ago, colortv said:

We'll see what happens with that arena. It only holds 16k for basketball and seems pretty cookie cutter.

It's that small? I thought it was at least 18,000.

It's easier to say now because we're so far removed from Katrinamania, but the best play circa 2006-07 would have been to broker a sale of the Hornets to the Oklahoma City guys with an exit strategy where New Orleans and/or Louisiana would get some donations, not have to subsidize a team anymore, have All-Star Weekends awarded to the franchise played in New Orleans, and maybe even maintain New Orleans as a television territory because as luck would have it both markets had Cox Cable. It would have been like when a guy gets in a car accident and becomes a quadriplegic so his wife eventually remarries because it's sad and all but eventually you gotta trade up.

Meanwhile, the Supersonics still would have been a problem franchise, but not a problem that couldn't be managed in the name of maintaining a heritage franchise with a large and devoted fanbase in a key (npi) media market. Maybe the league owns the team for a while but someone surely buys them up, and most likely not to move them to a newly vacant New Orleans.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I think we're going to find out in a few years that David Stern was suffering from dementia circa 2005-onward.

But at least he didn't run for president.

David was a LOT of things, suffering from dementia was not one of them. 

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's that small? I thought it was at least 18,000.

It's easier to say now because we're so far removed from Katrinamania, but the best play circa 2006-07 would have been to broker a sale of the Hornets to the Oklahoma City guys with an exit strategy where New Orleans and/or Louisiana would get some donations, not have to subsidize a team anymore, have All-Star Weekends awarded to the franchise played in New Orleans, and maybe even maintain New Orleans as a television territory because as luck would have it both markets had Cox Cable. It would have been like when a guy gets in a car accident and becomes a quadriplegic so his wife eventually remarries because it's sad and all but eventually you gotta trade up.

Meanwhile, the Supersonics still would have been a problem franchise, but not a problem that couldn't be managed in the name of maintaining a heritage franchise with a large and devoted fanbase in a key (npi) media market. Maybe the league owns the team for a while but someone surely buys them up, and most likely not to move them to a newly vacant New Orleans.

They probably would've been purchased by Ballmer in that alternate reality. 

Oh, almost certainly. I wonder if that would have allowed Donald Sterling to keep being racist.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Oh, almost certainly. I wonder if that would have allowed Donald Sterling to keep being racist.

Nah. The Clippers would have gone to Magic Johnson's group.

Indulge me in reposting the greatest Donald Sterling material of all time:

gipufbmp8voeyz0qra5p.jpg

7 people like this

17 hours ago, colortv said:

NBA isn't looking to expand anytime soon according to the commissioner. 

And the NHL claimed the same, just months before allowing Vegas to do ticket sales. Everyone has their price, in the sports world...