NHL 2017-18

Bmac

15 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

How about every team gets the 3 stripes for the hemstripes!

45mdO7Z.png

If we see the three stripes, it may be how it was for the WCH jerseys or maybe just a logo where the Reebok wordmark is

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I'm sure Carolina is on your list, and maybe Arizona.  But who else if any?

Yes, as I outlined in my post at the top of the page (which is admittedly a great big wall-o-text) there are two teams that are currently at risk of moving: Carolina and Arizona.

Carolina is publicly up for sale and there are some serious questions about whether a local buyer (or buyers) can be found who is willing to pay Karmanos's asking price.

The Arizona situation has been going on for literally seven years and could easily fill a book...but the basic gist is that the team's efforts to find a new arena in Phoenix have stalled (after a serious falling out with the city of Glendale...their current home), and the current majority owner is actively seeking investors to buy out the remaining owners. The team has signed a one year extension to continue playing in Glendale but the organization (and Bettman) have been adamant that a new arena is needed or else. Considering that the arena in Glendale opened in 2003, and is the second major arena in the valley (after Talking Stick Arena in downtown PHX), its highly unlikely that another a third arena is going to be built in an already congested market. Combine this with an organization that's already spread thin financially and you have all the ingredients for a relocation. 

As for other teams...thats less clear.

Florida has been mentioned on occasion, but they were able to get some concessions from Brevard County, and the current ownership appears to be making a real effort to turn things around. Things could continue to improve and the team could thrive, or there could be setbacks leading to the team's demise...either way we're probably a number of years away from knowing either way. 

As crazy as it sounds the New York Islanders could also be in play. A few months back a story surfaced that suggested Barclays wants the Islanders gone by the end of the 2018-2019 season. Given the terrible site lines and seating configurations as well as the revelations that the ice plant is not up to NHL standards, it seems clear that Barclays is not a viable home for the Islanders. If the rumors regarding a 2019 "eviction" are true, that puts the Islanders in a very difficult position of having to identify (and potentially build) a new venue in just two years. While there are a number of options on the table including returning to a renovated (but significantly smaller...just 13,000 for hockey) Nassau Coliseum, or building a new arena in Queens (adjacent to Citi Field), or on Long Island...the fact remains that none of these solutions are ideal or shovel ready. The city of Hartford has made overtures, but I haven't seen too many people take the offer seriously. Ultimately the Islanders are too valuable as a NYC franchise to be relocated outside of the market...however it's possible that someone could get creative and find a new home off Long Island that still falls within the market boundaries. 

22 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

Yes, as I outlined in my post at the top of the page (which is admittedly a great big wall-o-text) there are two teams that are currently at risk of moving: Carolina and Arizona.

Carolina is publicly up for sale and there are some serious questions about whether a local buyer (or buyers) can be found who is willing to pay Karmanos's asking price.

The Arizona situation has been going on for literally seven years and could easily fill a book...but the basic gist is that the team's efforts to find a new arena in Phoenix have stalled (after a serious falling out with the city of Glendale...their current home), and the current majority owner is actively seeking investors to buy out the remaining owners. The team has signed a one year extension to continue playing in Glendale but the organization (and Bettman) have been adamant that a new arena is needed or else. Considering that the arena in Glendale opened in 2003, and is the second major arena in the valley (after Talking Stick Arena in downtown PHX), its highly unlikely that another a third arena is going to be built in an already congested market. Combine this with an organization that's already spread thin financially and you have all the ingredients for a relocation. 

Florida has been mentioned on occasion, but they were able to get some concessions from Brevard County, and the current ownership appears to be making a real effort to turn things around. Things could continue to improve and the team could thrive, or there could be setbacks leading to the team's demise...either way we're probably a number of years away from knowing either way. 

As crazy as it sounds the New York Islanders could also be in play. A few months back a story surfaced that suggested Barclays wants the Islanders gone by the end of the 2018-2019 season. Given the terrible site lines and seating configurations as well as the revelations that the ice plant is not up to NHL standards, it seems clear that Barclays is not a viable home for the Islanders. If the rumors regarding a 2019 "eviction" are true, that puts the Islanders in a very difficult position of having to identify (and potentially build) a new venue in just two years. While there are a number of options on the table including returning to a renovated (but significantly smaller...just 13,000 for hockey) Nassau Coliseum, or building a new arena in Queens (adjacent to Citi Field), or on Long Island...the fact remains that none of these solutions are ideal or shovel ready. The city of Hartford has made overtures, but I haven't seen too many people take the offer seriously. Ultimately the Islanders are too valuable as a NYC franchise to be relocated outside of the market...however it's possible that someone could get creative and find a new home off Long Island that still falls within the market boundaries. 

I read an article on ESPN the other day that talked about how the mayor of Seattle is really interested into bring the Coyotes to Seattle, rather than bring an NBA franchise to the city. As for the Isles, I am from the New York-New Jersey area and have seen many news stories about the Barclays Center fiasco. I believe that the Isles will stay in New York, albeit with a new owner and perhaps in a rejuvenated arena

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/nassau-coliseum/nassau-coliseum-renovation-photos-and-new-venue-sneak-peek-1.13334191

AwvgSX4.png

35 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

I am 110% behind the Islanders in Queens.

Move the Yotes to Seattle already.  They have been losing money every year since the move to Arizona.  

Move Carolina BACK to Hartford and that solves that issue.  When it comes to a 32nd team, I have been very strong in saying put an expansion franchise in Kansas City OR Portland, Oregon.  Florida or Tampa could be an ideal move to Kansas City if they do not expand there.  Markham is also a good candidate for relocation as is Quebec.

1 hour ago, ImmortalChef said:

I read an article on ESPN the other day that talked about how the mayor of Seattle is really interested into bring the Coyotes to Seattle, rather than bring an NBA franchise to the city. As for the Isles, I am from the New York-New Jersey area and have seen many news stories about the Barclays Center fiasco. I believe that the Isles will stay in New York, albeit with a new owner and perhaps in a rejuvenated arena

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/nassau-coliseum/nassau-coliseum-renovation-photos-and-new-venue-sneak-peek-1.13334191

I live here in the Emerald City, and we hear all the time rumors regarding Hansen and others trying to put together a deal for an arena. The real problem is that there isn't a coordinated effort; right now it's multiple groups vying for an arena to build. The Key is currently being looked at for renovations, but that's seriously complicated. Hansen has more hoops to jump through since he has to find an NHL investor and modify the MOU for an NHL-first scenario. I love the idea of a team here, but the last 4 or 5 years have just been talk- the mayor may show his support, but it doesn't do much.

40 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

As for the Isles, I am from the New York-New Jersey area and have seen many news stories about the Barclays Center fiasco. I believe that the Isles will stay in New York, albeit with a new owner and perhaps in a rejuvenated arena.

The issue with the renovated Coliseum is that it is significantly smaller than it was before the renovation (from 18,000 to 13,000). This would have the Islanders playing in an arena that is over 2,000 seats smaller than the MTS Centre which was seen by some as being too small for the NHL when Jets 2.0 landed. It could work as a temporary stop-gap, but I don't see it as a long term solution. 

Its a total pipe dream on my part, but I'd love to see the Islanders find a home in Fairfield County (ideally in the vicinity of Stamford). The county is one of the wealthiest in the country, and Stamford has the highest concentration of corporate HQs in the NY metro area outside of NYC, not to mention rail service in and out of the city. Its not a return of the Whalers, but it would be a return of the NHL to the state and the team would technically be in the NY market. Obviously this is far fetched, but I like the idea of finding a win/win in all of this.

Even if they could expand to 15,000 that would still make the Coliseum the smallest arena in the league.

Which means they'd have to charge a premium for tickets in order to generate the necessary revenue. The Islanders could make that work, but given the location and the volume of competition in the greater NYC area, I don't know how viable of a business plan that would be.  

I don't even know how that happened.

I was just reading the post and it somehow responded. 

Just ignore. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

19 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Is this scaring anyone else that we're gonna have RBK Edge all over again?

It's sounding more and more like that debacle with every new piece of depressing news.  The Devils altering their untouchable set, the Oilers going with orange, third jerseys being eliminated... Ugh.  It has taken 10 years to undo the damage of the 2007 "Reebokalypse" and now all that progress appears to be going out the window.  I miss the days where manufacturers had nothing to do with the look of NHL teams.  You didn't see teams radically altering their uniforms when they switched from Starter to CCM (just to name an example) back in the 90's.

17 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

How about every team gets the 3 stripes for the hemstripes!

45mdO7Z.png

One more thought on the three stripes thing...Fanatics will be the brand on the replicas, and I'm not sure they want to sell their own jerseys with Adidas's proprietary mark on them.  Thus I doubt we'll see max three-striping.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

39 minutes ago, Morgo said:

It's sounding more and more like that debacle with every new piece of depressing news.  The Devils altering their untouchable set, the Oilers going with orange, third jerseys being eliminated... Ugh.  It has taken 10 years to undo the damage of the 2007 "Reebokalypse" and now all that progress appears to be going out the window.  I miss the days where manufacturers had nothing to do with the look of NHL teams.  You didn't see teams radically altering their uniforms when they switched from Starter to CCM (just to name an example) back in the 90's.

It's different this time around though. You're seeing teams pull jerseys from their history to wear, rather than completely ditching conventional jersey templates and opting for vertical piping instead of hem stripes. 

Look at all those teams who went back to a traditional jersey or an original six dress-up set over the past three years and beyond. Rarely any team is going in the direction of Reebokifying their jerseys. You might see a couple teams pull a Seahawks or something and go with some out of the ordinary, but NHL teams want to make money and they're at least halfway smart enough to know that the vintage/tradiotional looks are what sell.

So yeah, I'm sure some teams that don't quite need to change their jerseys will, but I doubt you'll see something similar to 2007. The Devils and Oilers going back to their roots doesn't quite scream mass jersey apocalypse to me rather than it just being two franchises making independent decisions to alter their look. Even if say, ten NHL teams change their look, there's enough of them that are average to bad looking, where an altered set could be improvement. 

1 hour ago, MEANS said:

so tough not to say anything....

Are the three stripes boldly on the new league set?  1 for yes, 2 for no.  Anything in between works too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, MEANS said:

so tough not to say anything....

I'm just gonna assume everything's gonna be fine! Just like I'm gonna assume The Undertaker will beat Roman Reigns at WrestleMania.

SERENITY NOW!

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

One more thought on the three stripes thing...Fanatics will be the brand on the replicas, and I'm not sure they want to sell their own jerseys with Adidas's proprietary mark on them.  Thus I doubt we'll see max three-striping.

That is the main reason why I am stocking up on as much of the Reebok ones as possible.  I hate that the Fanatics logo will be on the replicas.  Plus I can't drop $379.99 on the authentics when they come out

So the Jets wore their current road jerseys at home tonight vs. the Ducks. The Ducks wore their Orange alt. 

Does this mean anything??? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived