Bmac

NHL 2017-18

Recommended Posts

BrianLion    987

I'm really "meh" on the Edmonton orange jerseys.  They're OK if you just take the numbers off the shoulders and put them on the sleeves.  However I always just see them as a royal blue team with orange trim.  Not vice versa. Why throwback to the era BEFORE you were the most dominant team in the sport? 

 

The Ducks should be the orange team in the Pacific, and promote their thirds to full time home status with a matching road. Stop futzing around with the black look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Personally, I like when rival teams look nothing alike, so with that in mind:
connor_mcdavid2_7_14(1).png
9183918-johnny-gaudreau-nhl-san-jose-sha
I dunno, maybe I'm just a crazy Flames fan, but the Oilers' new uniform cuts kinda close to ours in colour, doesn't it? Or am I just stupid & overthinking it? Either way, I think the Oilers just look wrong wearing orange and I think they're making a big mistake with this uniform change; not only does it not have the history the blue jersey has, it doesn't even look as good.

Agreed 100%. It's ok as a once in a while alternate, but a full-time home uni? Especially for your first playoff appearance in 10 years? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prince Harry    31

As an Oilers fan myself, I've always found the royal blue jerseys a little bit overrated and that the away whites were the gem of the set. I think I'll miss the latter more than former post-adidas, as the Blue will probably come back as an alternate anyways.

 

It's weird wearing orange as the primary,  but I do like the embrace of orange as its an underutilised colour in almost every major sport.  The Oilers themselves has gone through numerous jersey changes since I was a kid so it doesn't really bother me to have different eras represented by different jerseys. I think it's interesting when you can see a variety of eras represented among the fans' jerseys of choice. I'd be more upset if we switched to something ugly, but I like the WHA redux look and thought it was dormant for too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Personally, I like when rival teams look nothing alike, so with that in mind:
connor_mcdavid2_7_14(1).png
9183918-johnny-gaudreau-nhl-san-jose-sha
I dunno, maybe I'm just a crazy Flames fan, but the Oilers' new uniform cuts kinda close to ours in colour, doesn't it? Or am I just stupid & overthinking it? Either way, I think the Oilers just look wrong wearing orange and I think they're making a big mistake with this uniform change; not only does it not have the history the blue jersey has, it doesn't even look as good.

Sheesh the collar on that Oilers jersey... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DiePerske    448
On 05/05/2017 at 4:08 AM, mcj882000 said:

Personally, I like when rival teams look nothing alike, so with that in mind:
connor_mcdavid2_7_14(1).png
9183918-johnny-gaudreau-nhl-san-jose-sha
I dunno, maybe I'm just a crazy Flames fan, but the Oilers' new uniform cuts kinda close to ours in colour, doesn't it? Or am I just stupid & overthinking it? Either way, I think the Oilers just look wrong wearing orange and I think they're making a big mistake with this uniform change; not only does it not have the history the blue jersey has, it doesn't even look as good.

I dont think it does, to be honest. Both warm colours, but not terribly close.

 

 

That said, rest of your post i agree with 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,587
On 2017-05-05 at 4:08 AM, mcj882000 said:

Personally, I like when rival teams look nothing alike, so with that in mind:
connor_mcdavid2_7_14(1).png
9183918-johnny-gaudreau-nhl-san-jose-sha
I dunno, maybe I'm just a crazy Flames fan, but the Oilers' new uniform cuts kinda close to ours in colour, doesn't it? Or am I just stupid & overthinking it? Either way, I think the Oilers just look wrong wearing orange and I think they're making a big mistake with this uniform change; not only does it not have the history the blue jersey has, it doesn't even look as good.

If the Oilers used navy I would agree. The royal's bright enough to separate the two looks though.

 

My bigger concern is that the Oilers as an orange team didn't amount to anything. The Oilers as a royal blue team were one of the greatest teams the sport has seen. Teams should strive to look their best, and for the Oilers that means the Gretzky look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgo    2,124

Changing the orange part of the collar to white would improve the uniform significantly.  An even better idea would be to replace it with a double striped, blue and white, lace-up.  Apart from that one flaw, the jersey looks spectacular.  Then again, so does the royal blue so I'm kind of torn on its promotion to full-time status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,587
12 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Changing the orange part of the collar to white would improve the uniform significantly.  An even better idea would be to replace it with a double striped, blue and white, lace-up.  Apart from that one flaw, the jersey looks spectacular.  Then again, so does the royal blue so I'm kind of torn on its promotion to full-time status.

That's where I'm at. I like both sweaters equally. So I tend to default to the one associated with more success. That being the royal blue one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ColeJ    837

If teams have to always dress like their most successful iterations, then we'd still have the Stars stuck in the 90s, the Kings forever behind home plate, the Ducks with about three square inches of crest over black, the LA Rams in millennial blue and Vegas gold, the ugly dated piping of the NE Patriots for a few more decades...

 

Sometimes you need to make something new instead of riding the coattails of the previous generation. I'd personally like to see the Oilers come up with something distinct in orange and royal. It can be inspired by the WHA days. The yoke is a throwback to every successful team in Oilers history anyway. If you really look at it objectively, the current orange sweater fits in with the aesthetics of the classic Oilers look pretry well, generally speaking.

 

Let's the Gretzky era be the royal and orange, with the McDavid era dressed in orange and royal. No matter how good he or his Oilers become, they won't top the Gretzky significance. So let them be their own thing.

 

I guess I'm just tired of every team going back to their early 90s look verbatim. I prefer things like the Caps and Bruins redesigns that take the general idea and move forward from there. The Kings in straight Gretzky era unis would look better than what they currently wear, but they could still do so much better with the general aesthetic if they didn't lock themselves in to one exact uniform.

 

It's great when teams like Montreal and Detroit lock in one iconic look for decades, but that cat is already out of the bag for Edmonton. They can evolve. I'd like to see them do it. As an orange team. I'd also like to see Washington continue to evolve instead of going straight throwback, and see something NEW in athletic gold and black for the Pens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,587

Well technically the Rams would be in royal and athletic gold, and I don't think anyone would object :P

And I honestly don't see the Kings or Pats abandoning their current looks in the foreseeable future because of their recent successes. 

 

That said, your point is taken. The 80s Oilers were one of those GOAT candidates and it's unlikely any Oilers team will ever match them. 

In so far as that goes? I can see the logic in letting the McDavid Oilers forge their own identity.

 

Really my philosophy of teams staying with their general look is more of a broad branding argument.

To use the Oilers as an example. They saw their greatest success under Gretzky. The orange alternate as the new home isn't that big a deal all things considered. It's still recognizable as the Edmonton Oilers. The 90s navy and copper would also qualify, because it's still recognizably the Oilers. Still? That's as far from the "championship" identity they could probably get. 

Hypothetically speaking? Adopting the 2000s robo-sperm look full time would have been a mistake because at that point there's nothing recognizably Edmonton Oilers about the look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ColeJ    837

Yeah. Total brainfart on the Rams. You'd think I'd have a better memory on that since I'm a Titans fan.

 

Forgot the change came immediately after and not immediately before. Lol. Derp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,587
38 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Does anyone else feel like this is a trifecta of incompetence between how the NHL does business, lack of foresight from league and Adidas, and a bumbling VGK mgmt?

 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-fans-wont-have-chance-to-buy-jerseys-until-august/

They should sell black jerseys with "VEGAS HOCKEY PLACEHOLDER" logos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hockey week    920
13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They should sell black jerseys with "VEGAS HOCKEY PLACEHOLDER" logos.

 

This is such a perfect opportunity to do the 1977 Kenner Star Wars Figure Box again

Image result for star wars figure box 1977

 

Kenner couldn't have the figures ready in time for Christmas, so they sold an empty display box, and not only is it super freaking valuable today, it's one of the strangest stories in marketing history

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/culture/star-wars/251879/star-wars-how-an-empty-box-became-a-must-have-item-in-1977

 

Golden Knights placeholder box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coltravesty    61

Flames are the ones who need new jerseys. They make me sick. Do something new and interesting. Have all black uniform or introduce dark grey or something. SOMETHING other than the standard "red, black, red" thar's been done a million times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,587
1 hour ago, coltravesty said:

Flames are the ones who need new jerseys. They make me sick. Do something new and interesting. Have all black uniform or introduce dark grey or something. SOMETHING other than the standard "red, black, red" thar's been done a million times.

Um...no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Prince Harry    31
On 5/6/2017 at 6:29 PM, ColeJ said:

If teams have to always dress like their most successful iterations, then we'd still have the Stars stuck in the 90s, the Kings forever behind home plate, the Ducks with about three square inches of crest over black, the LA Rams in millennial blue and Vegas gold, the ugly dated piping of the NE Patriots for a few more decades...

 

Sometimes you need to make something new instead of riding the coattails of the previous generation. I'd personally like to see the Oilers come up with something distinct in orange and royal. It can be inspired by the WHA days. The yoke is a throwback to every successful team in Oilers history anyway. If you really look at it objectively, the current orange sweater fits in with the aesthetics of the classic Oilers look pretry well, generally speaking.

 

Let's the Gretzky era be the royal and orange, with the McDavid era dressed in orange and royal. No matter how good he or his Oilers become, they won't top the Gretzky significance. So let them be their own thing.

 

I guess I'm just tired of every team going back to their early 90s look verbatim. I prefer things like the Caps and Bruins redesigns that take the general idea and move forward from there. The Kings in straight Gretzky era unis would look better than what they currently wear, but they could still do so much better with the general aesthetic if they didn't lock themselves in to one exact uniform.

 

It's great when teams like Montreal and Detroit lock in one iconic look for decades, but that cat is already out of the bag for Edmonton. They can evolve. I'd like to see them do it. As an orange team. I'd also like to see Washington continue to evolve instead of going straight throwback, and see something NEW in athletic gold and black for the Pens.

Another thing to add is that once the Oilers brought back the 80s jerseys back into the frame they started losing really, really badly. I guess for me, it's not a look thats only associated with the 80s glory days. I think people should want a jersey to stick around because it's a good looking jersey and not just because of success that came with it. 

 

Seriously, the irony in how bad the Oilers got once they brought the 80s jersey back is almost comical. In 2007 they brought it out for the Mark Messier retirement game and wore it once or twice after said game amidst a huge losing streak to close out the last month of the season. The next year with the Reebok Pyjamas they surprise a lot of people and narrowly miss the playoffs. In 08/09 the Blue 80s jersey comes back as the third and they still miss the playoffs after having a better team than the year before. In 2009/10, they promote that jersey to Home status and finish last. In 2011/12 they bring back the 80s whites and still finish 29th after a strong start to the season. Then a few more years after that at the bottom of the league etc., you know the story.

 

Obviously whatever jersey they wore these last few seasons would make little difference in the team's success overall, but it was just funny how it worked out. And it's not that they really should be moving away from the 80s set because of the last few years, but I think this is one of those cases where the "They Won In These Jerseys" argument probably shouldn't apply because the Oilers did the exact opposite of winning once they brought these jerseys back. 

 

They're just nice jerseys. They should be worn by the Oilers for that reason and that reason only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now