Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

That chrome blows

I must have the unpopular opinion - I have a couple hats (not those above) with the chrome logos.  I like them.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

46 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I must have the unpopular opinion - I have a couple hats (not those above) with the chrome logos.  I like them.  

I kinda like the look.  But I don't think I would wear one.  Maybe I can't pull it off.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

I dont think thats the new sideline cap. That cap is a lids.com exclusive, doesn't say  anything about new for this year or sideline cap. The only hats i've seen released are the draft hats. 

Could explain the black outline. Although the same cap, with the new Honolulu blue and blue outline would be pretty nice. 

It is not the new one, I own it since a while. It has been the sideline hat since New Era took over but the weird thing is the fact that it's still full price everywhere. That's why I asked if anyone had seen next year's version.

14 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

It is not the new one, I own it since a while. It has been the sideline hat since New Era took over but the weird thing is the fact that it's still full price everywhere. That's why I asked if anyone had seen next year's version.

Probably will come out in June/July.  Athlon's NFL preview magazine usually had pictures of them (though maybe not last year) and that is published in early June.

• 3 weeks later...

They kind of look like a high school team who's using the Lions logo. I think it's the striping that's throwing me off. It doesn't really feel like the actual Lions yet. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

The white outline on the logo, where white ISN'T used on the helmet stripes, really grinds my gears.

I'm with you. I really don't get why they didn't insert white in between the stripes. 

Nike is always doing things like that. Either their new uniforms are unbelievably terrible (Bucs, Browns, Jags) or they're pretty good and on the road to perfect, but with one or two inexplicable decisions that makes you go "ooo almost had it" (Vikings, Lions, Dolphins). Since taking over for the NFL they haven't unrolled a new look that I'd give an A. A few F's, D's, and then A-'s and B+'s.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The two different grays on the numbers  of the blue jersey are tricking my eyes into thinking the lighter gray is actually white, and the darker gray is the normal color.  

And I like the font too.  

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Does the helmet logo look slightly smaller?

tempLION3407--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

Don't think so. The only true profile is of Laken Tomlinson, who's a massive, big-headed human. The second image has a near-profile, but that player is wearing one of the new, cartoonishly large helmets.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The two different grays on the numbers  of the blue jersey are tricking my eyes into thinking the lighter gray is actually white, and the darker gray is the normal color.  

And I like the font too.  

Me too... that's been happening to me since I first saw this uniform.  If I hadn't been told the numbers were silver trimmed in dark gray, there's no way I wouldn't just assume they're white trimmed in silver.

17 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They kind of look like a high school team who's using the Lions logo. I think it's the striping that's throwing me off. It doesn't really feel like the actual Lions yet. 

The Lions have been like a high school team using the Lions logo for years.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 5/25/2017 at 3:58 PM, McCarthy said:

I'm with you. I really don't get why they didn't insert white in between the stripes. 

Nike is always doing things like that. Either their new uniforms are unbelievably terrible (Bucs, Browns, Jags) or they're pretty good and on the road to perfect, but with one or two inexplicable decisions that makes you go "ooo almost had it" (Vikings, Lions, Dolphins). Since taking over for the NFL they haven't unrolled a new look that I'd give an A. A few F's, D's, and then A-'s and B+'s.

What I really notice is that the outline on the logo looks fine when the logo is large in scale, by itself, but when you see it in a photo or from any distance (the prime viewing platforms), the outline just makes the edges of the logo look fuzzy or blurry compared to everything else. It’s true that it “matches” the stripes in that it has two outlines, but the difference in scale of the outlines on the logo vs. the stripes ruins any semblance of harmony there.

The funny thing is, people usually justify adding outlines by saying that it makes the logo/number/graphic “pop.” Sometimes, it’s true, but often, it’s the opposite, especially when working at a small relative scale. A solid blue lion with no outlines would have looked so much more bold and crisp here.

On 5/25/2017 at 4:34 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I like the font, too, which I'm kind of surprised by.  I usual despise italicized fonts, on most sports uniforms, but especially in football.  I don't know why this one works for me.

I do as well. The numbers are unique and well done, and they feel to me like they’ll age well.

The wordmarks, on the other hand, are a different story; one of the clumsiest-looking pieces of type in professional sports.

On 5/25/2017 at 9:38 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Me too... that's been happening to me since I first saw this uniform.  If I hadn't been told the numbers were silver trimmed in dark gray, there's no way I wouldn't just assume they're white trimmed in silver.

It does have that illusion. I think it would have been even better to use a chrome trim on the numbers to coordinate with that face mask. The darker grey color doesn’t really show up anywhere else.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It does have that illusion. I think it would have been even better to use a chrome trim on the numbers to coordinate with that face mask. The darker grey color doesn’t really show up anywhere else.

That's the strangest part. They've supposedly added a new color to their pallet but, on their primaries, it only appears as a thin trim around the numbers. It isn't a big leap to assume it was only added as an excuse to have that dark grey (and fairly ugly) color rush outfit.

If they were so set on having a second outline around the logo, that dark grey would've been a better choice over blue. It wouldn't jump out as much and would add another dark grey element.

Archived