2017 CFL Uniforms

kiwi_canadian

1985GC-BC1.JPG

I did mention my fave Saskatchewan Roughrider look a few posts up, but to me, for my primary team (the B.C. Lions- I live in the Seattle area, which is within the Leos' proximity), the B.C. Lions- this, their uniform set from 1978-89 stands as the best they've looked. :D

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's a goofy clown suit. The set's biggest sin is the promotion of black to secondary colour status. The Stamps were always a red and white or red and silver team. It was a unique look. Not just in the CFL, but in pro football as a whole. 

Red and black is just so overdone in sports in general. And it was always Ottawa's colour scheme as far as the CFL went. 

Calgary apparently designating the black helmets as their full time helmet is just the final straw. A once great and unique look's ruined. 

Can't agree more. 

I'd rather they have the 2 tone helmet than the "all black". But why they ever bothered to change is confusing, they went from overall unique to just "another team".

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The helmet with one stripe and white facemask doesn't look right when attached to that jersey. The pants stripe is the least of their worries.

Yup. This is page 8 of this thread and I probably have said it 8 times, last year's white helmet is the solution BUT if they only wanted 1 stripe, then they should have gone with the current blue helmet. 

That said, the more I dig into the Argos uniform history the more I like the early 90s set. There was a throwback set (pic below) that I would love to see them go back to. 

Image result for toronto argos uniform

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

8 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Can't agree more. 

I'd rather they have the 2 tone helmet than the "all black". But why they ever bothered to change is confusing, they went from overall unique to just "another team".

Yup. This is page 8 of this thread and I probably have said it 8 times, last year's white helmet is the solution BUT if they only wanted 1 stripe, then they should have gone with the current blue helmet. 

That said, the more I dig into the Argos uniform history the more I like the early 90s set. There was a throwback set (pic below) that I would love to see them go back to. 

If the sleeves matched that helmet stripe it'd be better. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the sleeves matched that helmet stripe it'd be better. 

Oh yeah, that'd be awesome!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

6 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

Re: Mr.Negative15: The Argos uniform set pictured was worn from 1981-88. But I do agree that it is the best the Argos have looked.

Yeah, You are correct. Thank you for correcting me on that.

If i'm not mistaken that was the last time we got the "football boat" logo as the primary logo on a helmet. I will fully admit that is a big reason I love that set. 

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

That helmet logo is atrocious.  And the various stripes are incoherent. (Five stripes on the helmet?!)

I can understand liking this helmet logo:

Image result for flutie argos 1996

That's a good logo, even if it has a few too many elements. But the boat logo is crude, appearing not even to have been drawn by a professional.

The current logo strips the sheild logo down to its basic component.  The best criterion for judging a logo is how it looks on a cap.  And the Argos' logo looks great on a cap.

Related image

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I have very fond memories of the Argos logo with Jason and the shield but as you say, it had too many elements.

I was never a fan of when the Argos made the second blue that teal-ish colour. All in all, it just isn't my choice Argos logo though it is associated with my favorite time in their history. 

I agree, the current shield logo is a very nice logo. I'm not even suggesting they change it. It's strong and should stay. 

I'm simply saying, as an overall uniform, that late 80s set is my favorite. The logo isn't the world's best but a football as a boat has a very long history of being the Argos logo so there is some nostalgia that makes me appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

I have very fond memories of the Argos logo with Jason and the shield but as you say, it had too many elements.

I was never a fan of when the Argos made the second blue that teal-ish colour. All in all, it just isn't my choice Argos logo though it is associated with my favorite time in their history. 

I agree, the current shield logo is a very nice logo. I'm not even suggesting they change it. It's strong and should stay. 

I'm simply saying, as an overall uniform, that late 80s set is my favorite. The logo isn't the world's best but a football as a boat has a very long history of being the Argos logo so there is some nostalgia that makes me appreciate it. 

Of course, it is all just opinion, but I would agree wholeheartedly that the boat logo is great. It seems to me that it is overwhelmingly popular with fans as well. Some of the imperfections that some call amateur, are endearing too many.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

9 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Can't agree more. 

I second that!

10 hours ago, johnnysama said:

1985GC-BC1.JPG

I did mention my fave Saskatchewan Roughrider look a few posts up, but to me, for my primary team (the B.C. Lions- I live in the Seattle area, which is within the Leos' proximity), the B.C. Lions- this, their uniform set from 1978-89 stands as the best they've looked. :D

The best uniforms BC has worn, although I'm partial to a black facemask.

13 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

The best uniforms BC has worn, although I'm partial to a black facemask.

I always loved these uniforms worn in the 60's:

CFL Jersey BCL1965.png

I admit the orange is unique though, I just like the paw print as a logo better. Can't even explain why other than "I just do" haha. 

30 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I always loved these uniforms worn in the 60's:

CFL Jersey BCL1965.png

I admit the orange is unique though, I just like the paw print as a logo better. Can't even explain why other than "I just do" haha. 

39585.jpg

I think BC would look fantastic with an orange helmet full-time. 

9530745-clelin-ferrell-ncaa-football-tro

9736449-ncaa-football-acc-championship-c

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Yeah, I recall those throwbacks @nash61. I thought it was cool they brought back the paw logo. Really liked that they did that.

I don't know if it's the lack of a helmet stripe or if I just prefer the black as the base but I do prefer the black helmets with the paw logo. This picture gives a better idea of the striping on the helmet:

Image result for bc lions uniform history

To your point: I'd agree that orange is unique and they should own it. It's better than any white, grey or, black helmet (with the exception, in my opinion, of the black one I posted) that they've had before.

On 7/25/2017 at 10:11 AM, johnnysama said:

1985GC-BC1.JPG

The BEST BC Lions uniform. Period. The uniform set from 2005-15 was just a return to orange and white but a cheapened version of the 80's classic. The helmet and jersey stripes make all the difference. 

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice that the Argonauts went all white with light blue socks? I thought that was a lot better than the color rush white look they have been using a lot as of late. I also noticed that the Alouettes wore their red uniform with blue pants and red socks and I honestly much prefer the Als' using their white pants with the red jersey. 

0774143.gif

Here's an Argo logo that was utilized, albeit sparingly, during the same mid-to-late-1990s era as the "Jason-Shield" mark. Minus the wordmark-and-wave, I think it could make a great sleeve logo, with the "Jason-Shield" on the helmets. It goes without saying that the team's color scheme would be "Double Blue".  

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Did anyone else notice that the Argonauts went all white with light blue socks? I thought that was a lot better than the color rush white look they have been using a lot as of late. I also noticed that the Alouettes wore their red uniform with blue pants and red socks and I honestly much prefer the Als' using their white pants with the red jersey. 

Agreed. That was the best the Argos have looked all season.

Red jersey + blue pants doesn't work for the Als.

Archived