the admiral

(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The real battle of Alberta was seeing which team could be screwed over more by the refs and the Oilers won handily. How holding a goalies pads, preventing him from making a crucial save in the final 15 seconds of a crucial game, isn't goalie interference I will never know.  The Oilers should have won that series in 6.

As for an actual Battle of Alberta, I'm sure we'll see plenty of those when the Ducks are rebuilding with their lone cup. 

39 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The real battle of Alberta was seeing which team could be screwed over more by the refs and the Oilers won handily. How holding a goalies pads, preventing him from making a crucial save in the final 15 seconds of a crucial game, isn't goalie interference I will never know.  The Oilers should have won that series in 6.

As for an actual Battle of Alberta, I'm sure we'll see plenty of those when the Ducks are rebuilding with their lone cup. 

Morgo, even I'm not salty about that goalie interference anymore and I'm the Oilers fan here. They brought it upon themselves by blowing up. Happens. 

K so the salt here recently has made me seriously consider starting a poll after the playoffs are over and asking who was the Saltiest NHL Playoff Fan™.  Obviously it'd all be in good fun.  Is it a good idea?

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

K so the salt here recently has made me seriously consider starting a poll after the playoffs are over and asking who was the Saltiest NHL Playoff Fan™.  Obviously it'd all be in good fun.  Is it a good idea?

No, because someone's going to get their feelings hurt.

17 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't know what Ottawa is doing.  Their raw stats say they shouldn't be here.  Minus goal differential for the season, one above in the playoffs...but they just kind of hang around and pull games out of their ass.  If style points mattered, it's Pittsburgh in 3.  But it's just "do what you can to win" now, and somehow or another, Ottawa wins these games they shouldn't be winning.

The thing with Ottawa is that under Boucher's defensive system they play to hold on and win one goal games (see: the trap) and are doing it well to be fair (7-2 in 1 goal games this playoffs and that 8th win included an empty netter), the other side is that they lose a lot more 3+ goal games than they win.

Craig Anderson has been great in a few games these playoffs but has also looked shaky in a few more so I don't know what we're gonna see against the Pens. The team bailed him out a couple times vs NY but how he performs will probably be even more important than Karlsson's from here on out. He's performed a lot better down the stretch in the regular season and in past playoffs.

The defense is also a bit of a wildcard, Karlsson's playing his best hockey right now and the 3rd pairing of Claesson-Harpur/Wideman has been more than serviceable. Ceci - Phaneuf, however, has been less than impressive. They've each had good games but quite a few stinkers on top of that. At Even Strength Karlsson has a 54.8 CF% since the start of the post-season and Ceci has a 45.6 CF%, while the rest of the defense has a 51.2 CF%. That's not the guy you want on your second pairing playing key minutes and logging heavy PK time but here he is.

If the Senators play organized and stick to their game plan I see a good series coming out of this. If they play like they did at MSG this could be over pretty quickly. FWIW the Senators won/tied* the season series 2-1 (*one of the wins coming in a shootout) with the home team winning every game.

Senators in 6

Predators in 7

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda surprised the West Final starts tonight.

PIT gets 2 days off, but ANA only 1?

A Saturday/Sunday weekend start might have made more sense

@Crabcake47 We both have different avatars now. Even though it's 2 Subbans, at least there won't be anymore confusion. :)

52 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

@Crabcake47 We both have different avatars now. Even though it's 2 Subbans, at least there won't be anymore confusion. :)

Ik lol the two poses were real similar. Thankfully people will be able to tell us apart again ;)

3 hours ago, TorinK92 said:

The thing with Ottawa is that under Boucher's defensive system they play to hold on and win one goal games (see: the trap) and are doing it well to be fair (7-2 in 1 goal games this playoffs and that 8th win included an empty netter), the other side is that they lose a lot more 3+ goal games than they win.

Christ. Go back six years and this is, almost word-for-word, what described Boucher and the Lightning team that went to the ECF against all expectations as well. I mean, literally, I've basically written that exact same description before, I'm sure.

46 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Christ. Go back six years and this is, almost word-for-word, what described Boucher and the Lightning team that went to the ECF against all expectations as well. I mean, literally, I've basically written that exact same description before, I'm sure.

Lol. The press and players couldn't stop talking this season about buying into Boucher's system. So it sounds like he either liked what he had back then and is trying to mould Ottawa into the Tampa model, or he got the Bolts players to buy in too and he's just a very consistent coach. 

Edit: I'm not versed in his tactics beore joining the Bolts, but I have a feeling he would have molded Tampa into his model as well. So it's likelier the latter

9 minutes ago, TorinK92 said:

Lol. The press and players couldn't stop talking this season about buying into Boucher's system. So it sounds like he either liked what he had back then and is trying to mould Ottawa into the Tampa model, or he got the Bolts players to buy in too and he's just a very consistent coach. 

Edit: I'm not versed in his tactics beore joining the Bolts, but I have a feeling he would have molded Tampa into his model as well. So it's likelier the latter

Rarely do you see a coach change his tactics/scheme.

I just hope Boucher's 1-3-1 doesn't result in that joke of a game Tampa had with the Flyers years ago.  Philadelphia pretty much mocked that defensive strategy by skating in a circle in their own end.

Great decision by the NHL to have a 6pm local start time on a Friday afternoon/evening.

It'll fill up, but man is the place empty just before puck drop.

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda surprised the West Final starts tonight.

PIT gets 2 days off, but ANA only 1?

A Saturday/Sunday weekend start might have made more sense

It's because Nashville had been waiting longer. Not ideal, but a team usually gets hit like that, every year. Nashville had the same break, between series, last year. 

...sometimes, well, the bar eats you.

2 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Great decision by the NHL to have a 6pm local start time on a Friday afternoon/evening.

Reminds me of Game 1 Sharks vs Preds last year in Round 2.

Just now, HedleyLamarr said:

It's the converse of the late central starts, to accomodate the eastern viewers. The west pretty much always gets the short end, of that stick, in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

It's the converse of the late central starts, to accomodate the eastern viewers. The west pretty much always gets the short end, of that stick, in the playoffs.

I get why they did this, but if there's a night during the week where folks can tolerate a 10pm start on the east coast, it's Friday night.  Hardly advantageous for the home team to not have a crowd be a factor early on.

This'll be a long series. Plenty of time to get back.

That game was entirely winnable. Gotta get Game 2.