(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

@Crabcake47 We both have different avatars now. Even though it's 2 Subbans, at least there won't be anymore confusion. :)

Ik lol the two poses were real similar. Thankfully people will be able to tell us apart again ;)

spacer.png

3 hours ago, TorinK92 said:

The thing with Ottawa is that under Boucher's defensive system they play to hold on and win one goal games (see: the trap) and are doing it well to be fair (7-2 in 1 goal games this playoffs and that 8th win included an empty netter), the other side is that they lose a lot more 3+ goal games than they win.

Christ. Go back six years and this is, almost word-for-word, what described Boucher and the Lightning team that went to the ECF against all expectations as well. I mean, literally, I've basically written that exact same description before, I'm sure.

spacer.png

46 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Christ. Go back six years and this is, almost word-for-word, what described Boucher and the Lightning team that went to the ECF against all expectations as well. I mean, literally, I've basically written that exact same description before, I'm sure.

Lol. The press and players couldn't stop talking this season about buying into Boucher's system. So it sounds like he either liked what he had back then and is trying to mould Ottawa into the Tampa model, or he got the Bolts players to buy in too and he's just a very consistent coach. 

Edit: I'm not versed in his tactics beore joining the Bolts, but I have a feeling he would have molded Tampa into his model as well. So it's likelier the latter

9 minutes ago, TorinK92 said:

Lol. The press and players couldn't stop talking this season about buying into Boucher's system. So it sounds like he either liked what he had back then and is trying to mould Ottawa into the Tampa model, or he got the Bolts players to buy in too and he's just a very consistent coach. 

Edit: I'm not versed in his tactics beore joining the Bolts, but I have a feeling he would have molded Tampa into his model as well. So it's likelier the latter

Rarely do you see a coach change his tactics/scheme.

I just hope Boucher's 1-3-1 doesn't result in that joke of a game Tampa had with the Flyers years ago.  Philadelphia pretty much mocked that defensive strategy by skating in a circle in their own end.

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda surprised the West Final starts tonight.

PIT gets 2 days off, but ANA only 1?

A Saturday/Sunday weekend start might have made more sense

It's because Nashville had been waiting longer. Not ideal, but a team usually gets hit like that, every year. Nashville had the same break, between series, last year. 

...sometimes, well, the bar eats you.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Great decision by the NHL to have a 6pm local start time on a Friday afternoon/evening.

It'll fill up, but man is the place empty just before puck drop.

Reminds me of Game 1 Sharks vs Preds last year in Round 2.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Just now, HedleyLamarr said:

Great decision by the NHL to have a 6pm local start time on a Friday afternoon/evening.

It'll fill up, but man is the place empty just before puck drop.

It's the converse of the late central starts, to accomodate the eastern viewers. The west pretty much always gets the short end, of that stick, in the playoffs.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

It's the converse of the late central starts, to accomodate the eastern viewers. The west pretty much always gets the short end, of that stick, in the playoffs.

I get why they did this, but if there's a night during the week where folks can tolerate a 10pm start on the east coast, it's Friday night.  Hardly advantageous for the home team to not have a crowd be a factor early on.

In the first 3 seasons of this current playoff format, 5 of the 6 teams that won game 1 of the conference finals actually ended up losing the series.

Only NYR over MTL in 2014 bucked that interesting trend.

Fun fact:

The Nashville Predators now have more goals and Wins in the Western Conference Finals than the Minnesota Wild :(

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Ok I'm away from the TV now, but apparently the golf tournament has pushed the start time of the hockey game back. They can't put the golf on the GOLF channel they own?(This isn't even the Masters, etc)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived