Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kraken is too minor league sounding for me. I really don't like it as a potential name.

And Thunderbirds has to be off the table. It's one thing if the WHL franchise folded in the 70s or whatever and the NHL team is resurrecting the name, it's another if they just take the name from an existing team. 

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I still think Supersonics would work for the NHL.  It might be sacrilegious, but it's a classic well accepted name, and it fits the speed of the sport better.

I highly doubt ownership is that stupid to take that name.  They would get roasted by everyone.  Plus, now with a new building coming, the NBA will eventually go back to Seattle, even if everyone has to wait until 2025.  Even if they weren't, I still say it's too soon to take the name.

I'm very torn here. I'm a fan of the native american imagery, but that above uniform looks a little too colorado avalanche to me. With the canucks being blue/green it seems like that will not be an option.

I personally think that they could go with a green/gold look, California Seals-esque.  That would fit well thematically with the Sonics return if/when they return as well.  

As for names... I'm even more torn, nothing to me stands out as a great choice.  Metropolitans is a cool piece of history that should probably be left to history.  Sockeyes, steelheads, salmon aren't too bad.  Kraken sounds super fun to me but I realize in a couple years it'll probably seem childish and dated.  Evergreens/Cascades don't really inspire me at all.

I feel like Pilots would have worked pretty nicely, but that the brewers own that history.

I hope the ownership group has some creative minds and can come up with a color scheme/name that is fun, local, and don't overthink themselves too much.  

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:13 AM, Brian in Boston said:

To this point in time, comparing the Seattle Thunderbirds/NHL Seattle situation to that of the USL Seattle Sounders/MLS Seattle Sounders FC relationship is an "apples-and-oranges" comparison. 

Adrian Hanauer, owner of the USL Sounders, had been pursuing a Major League Soccer franchise for the City of Seattle for the better part of 3 to 4 years when MLS Commissioner Don Garber introduced him to Hollywood producer Joe Roth in the summer of 2007. Hanauer has been a part of the investor/operator group of Seattle's MLS franchise - along with partners Joe Roth, Paul Allen, and Drew Carey - since the team's operating rights were granted by the league in November of 2007. As a result, it was a simple and straightforward affair for an MLS franchise partially operated by Adrian Hanauer to secure the traditional Seattle Sounders name from a USL franchise owned and operated by Adrian Hanauer.

By contrast, brothers Dan and Lindsey Leckelt - owners of the Western Hockey League's Kent, Washington-based Seattle Thunderbirds - have nothing to do with the NHL Seattle bid. As of this time, the Leckelts have given no indication that they have any plans to suspend operations of their major junior ice hockey team, relocate said team, rebrand said team, or grant the ownership of the proposed NHL Seattle franchise permission to use the Seattle Thunderbirds brand.  

That’s too bad.  I was really hoping for  Thunderbirds, it’s way better than any of the other proposed names.

2 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Right...tell that to the traumatized citizens of San Francisco...

Viking legends > a m’f’ing Ray Harryhausen movie. Save it for an Atlantic team. Your pet name is the last name I’d want for a Seattle franchise, right next to Totems.

“Kraken” is singular, corny as all heck, and ignorant of local culture. Minnesota would be cheering, celebrating that they no longer have the worst name in the NHL. Maybe sticking your concept logo on the belt of a woman with large breasts will convince people.

23 hours ago, monkeypower said:

And Thunderbirds has to be off the table. It's one thing if the WHL franchise folded in the 70s or whatever and the NHL team is resurrecting the name, it's another if they just take the name from an existing team. 

Simple solution, bring the existing Thunderbird ownership into the mix along with the name (not exactly like the Sounders, but not apples and oranges either). Thunderbirds is such a part of Seattle hockey, just like Sounders was/is such a part of Seattle soccer. 

Whenever someone likes a post that disagrees with me, I want to yell "WHO LIKED THIS? WHO LIKED THIS POST?!? WHO THE $#@^&* LIKED THIS $#^@* POST?!?!?!" and then start ripping off articles of clothing. But I can't do that so I'm just gonna reiterate that Kraken doesn't work.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Simple solution, bring the existing Thunderbird ownership into the mix along with the name (not exactly like the Sounders, but not apples and oranges either). Thunderbirds is such a part of Seattle hockey, just like Sounders was/is such a part of Seattle soccer. 

Like Brian in Boston pointed out earlier, the owner of the USL Sounders wanted an MLS team. When he and his ownership group were awarded a MLS team, he folded the USL team and moved the Sounders name up the American soccer pyramid because he owned both teams.

However, the Thunderbirds are an existing team that as far as I know, have no intention of ceasing to exist even with this NHL team on the way. You're assuming the owners of the WHL Thunderbirds are interested in a) being a part of the NHL ownership group and b) getting rid of the WHL team. There's no way this Seattle NHL team becomes the Thunderbirds if the WHL team is still in existence. 

It's a completely different situation. The Thunderbirds are an existing team in a completely different league (that isn't connected to the league the expansion team is joining), in a completely different age group owned by completely different people.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived