MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

8 minutes ago, skwid said:

The Wall Street Journal reported MLB's acquisition of Rawlings.  There's a private equity firm involved as well, and it's unclear what MLB's share of Rawlings will be.  The focus of the story was on the ball.

There would be a lot of merit to going with Rawlings as the uniform supplier.  MLB could control everything, and it could be more profitable than licensing.  A Rawlings/MLB tie-up with Fanatics could be seamless.  

The Rawlings brand would also get good lift from being the MLB uniform supplier.  Rawlings already has a solid toe hold at the amateur levels.  Having the logo on the MLB uniforms probably would help sales at the amateur level.

On the flip side, if MLB goes with Nike for uniforms, then Rawlings probably is dead as a uniform supplier.  I think the brand would struggle if its owner went with someone else for uniforms. 

I don't think so. 

I think Rawlings would become the official supplier for milb if nothing else 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why wouldn't MLB want the influx of cash that a Nike or UA would pay for the ad rights on the jerseys?  Buying Rawlings if the intent is to be their own supplier seems way counterproductive and not cost effective since they're basically paying - rather than being paid - for the on-field product.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

50 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

why wouldn't MLB want the influx of cash that a Nike or UA would pay for the ad rights on the jerseys?  Buying Rawlings if the intent is to be their own supplier seems way counterproductive and not cost effective since they're basically paying - rather than being paid - for the on-field product.

Exactly. MLB once handled MLBShop and I thought they did a good job, but getting paid by Fanatics to manage and operate the entire thing at the end of the day is easier. A MLB clothing company on top of baseball doesn’t make sense when other companies do just that (clothing design, production, and marketing) and will pay you to do it for you. 

On 6/9/2018 at 12:34 AM, TheOldRoman said:

Not only is everything you said correct, but the matte batting helmets look awful. They look like they match the lighter navy the Brewers and Padres use. The Mariners need to go back to how they looked in the late '90s, including the teal-billed caps at home (with matching helmets).

I think the brighter navy looks great, and it actually fits. All they need to do is switch to the lighter navy caps, and lighten the letters on the regular uniforms a tad:

Image result for 2017 kyle seager

Image result for mariners wearing teal 2017

Image result for mariners catcher 2017Image result for 2017 kyle seager

They just need to switch to the lighter navy caps and lighten the letters in the regular uniforms a bit, and they'll be good to go:

Image result for mariners

On 6/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

can't post pics from my phone

I see this comnent every so often, and it baffles me. 

Posting a picture from a phone is the same as posting it from a computer. You just paste in the URL of the picture.

I am on my phone. And I will now proceed to enter a picture's URL here:

Padres_Marlins_Baseball_13674.jpg

And we get a picture. So I don't see why some users think that they can't post pictures when on their phones.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I see this comnent every so often, and it baffles me. 

Posting a picture from a phone is the same as posting it from a computer. You just paste in the URL of the picture.

I am on my phone. And I will now proceed to enter a picture's URL here:

Padres_Marlins_Baseball_13674.jpg

And we get a picture. So I don't see why some users think that they can't post pictures when on their phones.

It doesn’t always convert that way.   Sometimes I have to use the “Insert other media” button. But we have the “insert other media” button, so there still shouldn’t be a problem. 

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It doesn’t always convert that way.   Sometimes I have to use the “Insert other media” button. But we have the “insert other media” button, so there still shouldn’t be a problem. 

I just posted in the pop stars thread and the url wouldn't convert to pic just link to pic.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

How do you know they've never "agreed"?

It's tough to say.  The home team almost always pays for the uniforms, but the visitors have to agree to play along.  Not sure what happened here, but it's entirely possible the Marlins were cheap.

There have been instances of road teams declining.  The Cubs turned down throwbacks in SD when the Padres wore PCL stuff years ago.  That one always sticks with me for some reason.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

4 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

mJ3sUA1.jpg

Phillies had an anniversary logo for the 93 team at yesterday's game to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the NL championship (Mitch Williams apparently turned down the invite, guess he didn't want to be booed)

Was a majority of the team there in attendance? 

Because the Brewers haven't been able to dress themselves properly for years, tonight's 10th inning features a pitcher in the navy/gold "Brewers" jersey, and the rest of the team in the navy/yellow "Milwaukee" jersey. I can't believe this is their 19th season of wearing this slop.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

17 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Because the Brewers haven't been able to dress themselves properly for years, tonight's 10th inning features a pitcher in the navy/gold "Brewers" jersey, and the rest of the team in the navy/yellow "Milwaukee" jersey. I can't believe this is their 19th season of wearing this slop.

The navy and gold was bad to begin with (they should be wearing royal blue). And they wear their great throwbacks maybe once a week at home, which makes matters worse by saying "this is how good we could look." But them inexplicably switching one of their many jerseys to navy and yellow, including the BiG logo, and taking the striping off the pants instead of making a second pair is just unfathomably dumb. It's so schizophrenic, even the Padres are looking at them side-eyed.

And I just tuned in. They're playing the Cubs, who are in their awful blue alternates. It looks like a bad spring training game. Channel changed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

If they're home, they should be in the "Brewers" jersey to begin with..

Archived