NBA 2017-18: A Tale of Two Conferences

buzzcut

Except in Hinkie's world this season is wasted effort if they don't win a championship.  And there was no indication that Hinkie would ever have had the Sixers start trying.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Except in Hinkie's world this season is wasted effort if they don't win a championship.  And there was no indication that Hinkie would ever have had the Sixers start trying.

Speculation and assumption.  I deal with facts and only facts, and the fact is that he laid the groundwork for a 50 win team that is going to be by far the best in the history of the game.  Lebron is going to beg and plead to join.  Part of the deal is that he should blow Sam first.

hinkie-banner.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sam Hinkie's the Jeff Fisher of the NBA, only instead of rightfully reviling him and/or possibly putting out a contract on him, you guys venerate him.  WTF.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

26 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Sam Hinkie's the Jeff Fisher of the NBA, only instead of rightfully reviling him and/or possibly putting out a contract on him, you guys venerate him.  WTF.

That's just silly.  Jeff Fisher was a .500 head coach that ruined QBs.  Sam Hinkie was the mastermind of a rebuilding process that resulted in magic.

That's like saying cheese is the shoe of the pizza.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Weird how it only worked after Hinkie was let go two years ago. And more than that, even.

Hinkie's plan was as sophisticated as always lose. It took adults to actually put pieces together.

The Sixers have a clear path to the ECF this year. Maybe even the Finals. But it's not because of some unsophisticated Stanford dumb :censored:.  It's because draft stock paid off, the right free agent signed, and they made some smart trades at the end of this year. Lots of non-Hinkie decisions made this team.

EDIT: Also, everyone was on board with Creed, the Eagles and Nova. Don't make us hate you Philly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's insane how tight the WC 4-10 seeds are at this point. 

I know anything can happen, but looking at the sked, it could finish off like this:

4. Utah 48-34

5. SA 47-35

And Minnesota, Denver, OKC and New Orleans all finishing at 46-36. 

Based on conference records, Pelicans would be the odd team out:

6. Minnesota

7. Denver

8. Oklahoma City

9. New Orleans

sig.png

16 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I deal with facts and only facts, and the fact is that he laid the groundwork for a 50 win team that is going to be by far the best in the history of the game.

Fantastic sentence

spacer.png

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why?  It's what they were told during every Brett Brown press conference, every Hinkie interview, and even by the short-lived president and his BFF the owner.  Everyone hated the process, but they proved that it is the best way for a team that can't sign the best player to get good, while the rest of the BS league just tries to go from 9th place to 7th place.  They're a 50-win team and a legit threat to make the finals.  They're setting records without their best player.  Screw any and everyone that wasn't on board with what Sam Hinkie was doing.  It's the only way.

Besides what the Warriors did and what the Celtics did, sure.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Besides what the Warriors did and what the Celtics did, sure.

The Warriors lucked into Curry through their own incompetence and still blatantly tanked for the pick that became Harrison Barnes. The Celtics were lucky enough to outsource their tank to Brooklyn. Not every team is going to get that lucky.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

So why haven't the Clippers made the WCF yet?

Today, we are all otaku.

25 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I love how Hinkie was the most hated man in Philadelphia for 3 years, and now is the city's third-most beloved (behind Nick Foles and their lord and savior Carson Wentz) man. Talk about city-wide mood swings.

People loved Hinkie during the worst days of the process. They had no problem at all losing. They also didn't show up to those games, which kind of shows why you can't play fantasy basketball with a real franchise.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

People loved Hinkie during the worst days of the process. They had no problem at all losing. They also didn't show up to those games, which kind of shows why you can't play fantasy basketball with a real franchise.

I wouldn't say that people loved him.  He was very polarizing, amongst fans and media.  For ever Hinkieite, there was a HinkieHater.  Maybe 60-40 in favor of love?  70-30 at most.

Showing up to games is a poor indicator of support, or lackthereof.  Many people that were totally on board with the Process weren't going to spend a lot of money to watch crummy basketball (why should they?) but at least had faith that the outcome would be a title contender, as opposed to a middle-of-the-road team that's good but never great.

On April 6, 2018 at 12:16 AM, dfwabel said:

He had a collection of talent to work with (Simmons, Saric, Embiid). 

Larry Brown took the 90-91 Spurs to 56 wins from 21 the year before and wasn't Coach of the Year because he had talent. In 1990, David Robinson and Sean Elliott were rookies and Willie Anderson was a 2nd year player. He won CoY in the season he took PHL to the Finals and AI was MVP.

At the start of the season, the Pacers just had what folks call the best arena in the NBA and an improving player in Miles Turner. Oladipo was a twice traded player with a nasty contract.

Who calls Banker's Life the best arena in the NBA?

I agree 100% on McMillan. The Pacers were the laughing stock of the NBA after that PG trade and have had one of the most surprising seasons I remember.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 4/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, OaklandIsBack said:

A clippers fan talking about incompetence lol

On 4/7/2018 at 6:04 PM, rams80 said:

So why haven't the Clippers made the WCF yet?

I don't see what the Clippers have to do why the Warriors and Celtics aren't good counterarguments to The Process. I never said or implied that the Clippers were some shining example of competence.

Furthermore: an actual Warriors fan would remember that when they drafted Curry, they were still owned by Chris Cohan and managed by Robert Rowell. Need I say more?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

My point was that the Clippers basically lived "the Process" for a few decades, and....welp....

Today, we are all otaku.

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

My point was that the Clippers basically lived "the Process" for a few decades, and....welp....

No they didn't. There was no Process. They were just a bad team with a bad owner.

Archived