Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

Just now, PaleVermilion81 said:

The problem with that concept is that if they had revealed that today, everybody would be saying they look like the panthers instead of the Raiders.

And if they went with teal numerals on the white jersey people would say they look like the Dolphins if they don't wear black pants. 

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

The problem with that concept is that if they had revealed that today, everybody would be saying they look like the panthers instead of the Raiders.

It might not be the perfect solution, but I think it shows how a single, simple tweak can make a big difference here.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Just now, TSHARE18 said:

Another interesting thing from the State of the Franchise event today, was the owner stated the design process started when Coughlin came in, which was only a little over a year ago. So the whole “It takes two years” thing kinda goes out the window. 

Let's be honest, I'd need about five minutes to come up with uniforms like these... A year is more than enough.

7 minutes ago, TSHARE18 said:

Another interesting thing from the State of the Franchise event today, was the owner stated the design process started when Coughlin came in, which was only a little over a year ago. So the whole “It takes two years” thing kinda goes out the window. 

Coughlin is an older, no nonsense guy with a lot of pull there. He didn't want anything garish or distracting and no way what they had were staying once he re-entered the organization. Let the focus be on football rather than some bizarre ugly uniforms. They're now a solid, average looking team.

5 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

It might not be the perfect solution, but I think it shows how a single, simple tweak can make a big difference here.

But it's the wrong tweak, because both colored uniforms look like Panther knock off jerseys. Don't get me wrong, there are some simple tweaks to be made here, but those tweaks don't help the situation in my view.

11 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Really like the gold outlines here. The teal numbers on the white are nice, but I'd be good with either black or teal honestly.

As spectacular as the Dolphins update. These minor changes would make this set absolutely stunning.

I've held off on reacting to the jersey until we found out what the primary will be, and staying with black is probably my biggest problem with these uniforms. Something that can be remedied easily, but it still makes no sense that the teal is more 'special' if they only wear it sparingly. Imagine how dumb it would be if the Chargers used navy full time while the fans identified with powder blue and they only used that color a couple of times a year. The teal jersey shouldn't be a treat to give the fans what they want a few times a year, if the fans identify with that color it should be worn full time. 

I do think this set is, at the very least, serviceable. I saw a lot of praise for the previous Jaguars number font but this one is better. The curved stripe just above the cuff essentially just makes it a thicker cuff, but it's an interesting motif that repeated throughout. I surpisingly don't mind the absence of pants stripes too much, the curved stripe at the bottom acts almost as a sock stripe and helps divide all that black. I would prefer gold outlines on the numbers but I can see why they would want to keep them outline free.  The inconsistency that bothers me is that in both the black and teal jersey the number is a different color than the cuff while on the white they are the same color. Making either the cuffs and collar or the number teal would have injected some desperately needed teal on a black and white uniform.

The combos they wear are going to make or break this uniform. If they avoid using the black with the black and white jerseys even with a black primary they'll look great, I'm especially curious to see how the teal pants look. If they wear black pants all the time it's going to be bad. They really need to go with teal primaries though. Overall, it's a decent uniform and an upgrade over the previous look just by virtue of having a respectable helmet. They're not as good as the Fred Taylor uniforms, but if they had started with this look I bet most people would say they're a pants stripe and outlined numbers away froma timeless look

07Giants.pngnyy.png

5 minutes ago, Jaguars Football said:

There’s not enough teal on the white jersey. They are gonna try to wear teal pants with it and it’s gonna look goofy. There’s just not enough teal on that white jersey and it pisses me off. The all white pants look so stupid. 

I wouldn’t ever wear the white pants. Especially with the white jersey.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've been reading a lot on this thread about this "trend"... can we discuss this?

So, by my count, there are now 10 teams with single color numbers.  They are;

Packers, Giants, Steelers, Colts, Jets, Cowboys, Raiders, 49ers, Vikings, and now, Jaguars.

5 of those 10 have been wearing single color numbers forever... the Pack (1925), the Steelers (1933), the Cowboys (1962), the Raiders (1962), and the Colts (1953).  It's safe to say that none of these teams are a part of any new "single color number trend."

Another 3 of those 10 have been wearing their current uniforms with single numbers for less time, but are wearing uniforms that recreate older uniforms that had single color numbers... the 49ers (1957 originally), the Giants (1937 originally), and the Jets (1962 originally).  Since these teams are each following an older tradition, I would say they, also, are not part of any "single color number trend."

That just leaves 2... the Vikings (2013) and the Jaguars (2018) as a part of this "trend."  2 teams is not much of a trend IMO... I think were safe.

Did you think about college football? Seems pretty popular there. These boards cover more than just the NFL.

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

You guys have no idea how happy I am to see this. It's not matte, it's not satin, it's not teal flake, it's not semi-gloss, it's not that black the steelers use, it's not some textured "carbon fiber" nonsense. It doesn't have a stripe or a gold chrome facemask. It's a gloss black dome with the logo on the sides, like their original helmets. They didn't botch the easiest thing about this redesign. Even the eastbay catalog logo looks good on this lid. 

SHARP. 

I like the car wash black finish on the helmet 

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

3 hours ago, KingRamsey said:

The more I see them, the more I like them.  I am a big fan of minimalism.  I'm also an Ohio State fan and love old, traditional uniforms.  Less is more in my opinion.  Going to have to snatch up one of each next Thursday.   

Black numbers on the shoulders, white on the front and back. Huge stripes on the sleeves and merit stickers all over the helmet. They are old and traditional, but that literally has nothing to do with anything else you said. Are you buying a Jags jersey and an Ohio State jersey? Might as well have just said this.

3 hours ago, KingRamsey said:

The more I see them, the more I like them.  I am a big fan of minimalism.  I'm also a pizza fan.  Pizza is delicious in my opinion.  Going to have to snatch up one of each next Thursday.   

4 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Did you think about college football? Seems pretty popular there. These boards cover more than just the NFL.

These boards cover more than just the NFL, but this is an NFL team we're talking about. The NFL and college football have a different visual aesthetic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, McCarthy said:

These boards cover more than just the NFL, but this is an NFL team we're talking about. The NFL and college football have a different visual aesthetic.

Yes but the single outline numbers are a football trend. As in what we’ve seen in a lot of reveals lately. They both wear football pants, jerseys, and helmets from billion dollar companies and one of them happens to do high school, college, and NFL uniforms....

6 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Yes but the single outline numbers are a football trend. As in what we’ve seen in a lot of reveals lately. They both wear football pants, jerseys, and helmets from billion dollar companies and one of them happens to do high school, college, and NFL uniforms....

Great. These uniforms are for a team that plays in the NFL. The NFL and college football have a different visual aesthetic and that's true regardless of the apparel company they use. They should look like an NFL team and not Coastal Carolina's practice uniform. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Did I think about college football?  Oh, Lord, I completely forgot to think about college football!!  

Holy crap!

Thank God you're here, Mr. Brown1.

I'm going to go think about college football for a while. I'll probably be gone for a bit, but I really need to spend some time thinking about college football.

Archived