College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

24 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

So, Texas....

Crybabies complained to the Big 12 officials that the upside down horns gesture is offensive.  Apparently, Oklahoma will be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct each time an OU player throws an upside down horn.

https://www.hookem.com/2018/11/28/big-12-clarifies-that-horns-down-gestures-in-its-championship-contest-will-be-penalized/

Apparently, everything in Texas is bigger.  Even the victimhood. 

It kinda unofficially started with WVU's Will Grier by doing "Horns Down" on his 2 point conversion to beat Texas at the start of the month. Grier was penalized, but Tom Herman* called the Big XII office.

Then two weeks ago, when OU gave up 40 points to Kansas, Texas LB Breckyn Hager told a reporter after their game, "Hey, OU has no defense. Wait, wait -- it's 11:12 and what? OU still sucks."

He was reprimanded for the comment.

Basically, if the majority of your conference has a long time tradition of gang, err hand signs, then your rivals WILL MOCK THEM!

Get over it, all of you.

Barry Switzer said it best to The Athletic this week and I wished there was audio.

“That’s bull$#it! ‘Horns down’ is part of the history of the game. It’s a natural reaction. It’s like someone gives you the finger. You give them the finger back, right? Well, if someone does a ‘Horns up,’ you do a ‘Horns down’ back at them.”

*-Same Tom Herman who mocked a Drew Locke TD celebration during last year's Texas Bowl.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

If you can get to Santa Clara tomorrow and are ready for possible inclement weather, you can go to the PAC 12 Championship.

https://seatgeek.com/pac-12-championship-utah-utes-vs-washington-huskies-football-tickets/ncaa-football/2018-11-30-5-pm/4455568

Friday night traffic in the Bay Area in bad weather. This conference just gets worse by the minute. 

7 minutes ago, Wings said:

Friday night traffic in the Bay Area in bad weather. This conference just gets worse by the minute. 

There are $60 club seats, but parking isn't included.  I could leave my job at 3, or 90 minutes early yet I won't go. VTA is worse than BART for games.

*- $hit, I still might go as prices drop.

11 hours ago, Wings said:

Texas-Oklahoma will be the next big rivalry to end over pettiness when the next big realignment comes. 

The Big Ten would take Oklahoma in a heartbeat. So would the SEC. But at least if the BevoXII conference fails there's a chance to renew Nebraska-Oklahoma. I'm biased, obviously, but that was one of the bigger rivalries that got destroyed through conference expansion. Plus it'd make good TV for broadcasters. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

5 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Yep, a shame the committee doesn't know how Notre Dame would stack up against Furman or The Citadel.

Probably wouldn't be tied at halftime.

7 hours ago, pianoknight said:

The Big Ten would take Oklahoma in a heartbeat. So would the SEC. But at least if the BevoXII conference fails there's a chance to renew Nebraska-Oklahoma. I'm biased, obviously, but that was one of the bigger rivalries that got destroyed through conference expansion. Plus it'd make good TV for broadcasters. 

I can't see conferences that would be willing to go back to 16 teams again. I think the Big XII pulling in UCF and USF is more likely than Texas and Oklahoma breaking away, either on their own or as part of the Big XII. Of course they could jump to the PAC-12, it's not like you actually have to be int eh Pacific time zone to play there and part of Texas is in the Mountain time zone. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

One of two things has to happen.  Either the CFP Bracket expands to allow for all FIVE P5 Champs to get into the field, or there's an expansion/contraction of P5 teams into four conferences of 16-teams each.

Right now there are exactly 64 teams in the Power 5, which means the Big XII could implode and the subsequent reshuffling would allow 4 mega conferences.  The sticky wicket in the whole thing is the alignment of Maryland and West Virginia.  It's an easy jump for WVU to move to the ACC, but there isn't another Big XII team that fits to get them up to 16 teams.  I HIGHLY doubt Maryland would go back at this point.  

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

11 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

One of two things has to happen.  Either the CFP Bracket expands to allow for all FIVE P5 Champs to get into the field, or there's an expansion/contraction of P5 teams into four conferences of 16-teams each.

Right now there are exactly 64 teams in the Power 5, which means the Big XII could implode and the subsequent reshuffling would allow 4 mega conferences.  The sticky wicket in the whole thing is the alignment of Maryland and West Virginia.  It's an easy jump for WVU to move to the ACC, but there isn't another Big XII team that fits to get them up to 16 teams.  I HIGHLY doubt Maryland would go back at this point.  

If the Big XII implodes I don't think the ACC would pair WVU with another P5 team if they were to even take them in at all.  Cincinnati, UConn, or even Memphis are more likely than the likes of Baylor or Iowa State joining.

18 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

The only reason the Big XII didn't expand is schools didn't want to split the pie further. That's why I think we wouldn't see 16 team conferences in the Power 5.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The only reason the Big XII didn't expand is schools didn't want to split the pie further. That's why I think we wouldn't see 16 team conferences in the Power 5.

But left in the current state, one P5 Champ will miss the playoffs each year. 

I don't think that model can be sustained for too many more years. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

3 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

But left in the current state, one P5 Champ will miss the playoffs each year. 

I don't think that model can be sustained for too many more years. 

I think they (The Power 5) are quite happy as long as the Group of 5 teams are shut out. They would obviously all want a team in the playoffs, but if we have a run where the SEC keeps getting 2 teams into the four playoff slots we'll see the playoffs expand but still make sure the G5 teams are on the outside.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, willmorris said:

Oklahoma has won; I'm wondering if Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State all win, if that's your CFP four.

You really are all-in on reverse jinxing Notre Dame into the playoffs aren't you 😆

Archived