MLS Rebrand: Houston

heernumurr

MLS Rebrands by williamrhys

newyork.pngcolorado.pngsaltlake.png

OK, so here's concept number four. Houston wasn't really crying out for a rebrand, and they're a relatively new team, but I'm going to go through them all eventually and had a few ideas for them. If you've seen any of my other concepts in this series, you'll know I'm not really bothered about what the teams are called, but since I'm making the crests more "traditional" I thought I'd do the same with the names. So i give you Houston Wanderers FC! If you don't know why I called them that, try and work it out... :P

Decided to keep the orange, it says Houston MLS to me, especially after their two championships. Ditched the light blue, thought it looked out of place and a little too much like the Netherlands. I prefered the original "Houston 1836" logo, and think that a team from Texas needs a prominent Lonestar somewhere in their identity, so I've incorporated that. Also used the silhouette of Sam Houston, so hopefully the whole thing says "Houston" a lot more than their current logo. Most of all I wanted to try and keept it simple, as what they have now is complicated, but doesn't really go anywhere in terms of a unique identity.

houston-badgesheet.png

For the kits, went with Nike just because I fancied a change from adidas. Wanted to keep the home shirts mainly orange, using lighter stripes for a bit of depth. The away kits use a sort of charcoal colour, and are designed so any pieces from the two kits can be matched together. Again I just wanted to keep this simple, as my last couple of concepts have used watermark style shirt designs.

houston-kitsheet.png

That's it for today! Always appreciate C&C from the board, so leave lots of it!

william

Love the kits, mostly love the logo. The only qualm I have with it is the "Houston Wanderers" text. It really sort of seems tacked on as an afterthought and squished into that silhouette. I would bring it outside the logo; curve it around the bottom half of the circle, either with or without a ribbon. I'd also use something other than Tahoma/Verdana; that's one of those common free system fonts that, if used, really makes designers look like they're not trying very hard.

Also, are there two shades of charcoal as well? It looks like the crescent behind the star is a bit darker than the other charcoal elements. Make it one uniform shade of grey; I don't think there's really a need for two of that colour.

I agree about having a single shade of Charcoal, and that the text of the crest seems a little unconsidered, but all in all this is a good concept. It is my least favorite of your amazing series so far, but it is still really good. I think some reworking could make it great, I just don't know exactly what it is. In your other crests, everything seems to work really well together, but not so much right now in this one. Maybe it is a case of having no inspiration for a Houston MLS rebrand, maybe it is a case of keeping it too simple. Maybe the star needs some styling added to it, maybe the whole idea needs to be redone. It just doesn't look as seamless and dynamic as your other crests, but you set the bar high. I do however, really like the uniforms, I think you did everything right on them. Nice job again, but I would like to see the crest reworked so that it fits in with your other work.

As someone who spent most of my life in Houston, I love the logo particularly the way you used the Sam Houston statue and the star. Like the others, not a big fan of the team name. I also don't like the pale orange colors, but GREAT logo.

FsQiF2W.png

Love the kits...great work...a definite upgrade. I'm not liking the name change though.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,Β Β (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

i think the logo fits well with the name. i actually like the name. my only qualm is that the star seems too big and it overshadows the logo. the uniforms are great. great job all around, i cant wait to see what you have in store for DC United.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I really like everything you've done here, even the name! The one change I would suggest is to only use the darker shade of charcoal in the logo, but thats nitpicking.

Excellent work yet again. If the 4 teams adopted the concepts you've presented it would be a far more beautiful league.

Very much appreciate all the comments so far. Seems some like the logo, some think it could be better; the kits have gone down pretty well, but some think they could be improved. A lot of talking points, which is what I want from this series! So I'll see if I can address some issues:

The name: As I said when I posted the concept, I'm not really that concerned about renaming the teams. My enjoyment comes from the design side of things. Renaming the team lets me do things with the identity that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do, so it's a means to an end. That said, since I'm giving the logos more of a traditional football feel I thought I'd do the same with the names. I really should put more effort into that side of things, but Wanderers is a great traditional name and Houston was the opportunity to use it.

The crest: Firstly the text. It's funny because all the way through the design of the logo I had the text curved round the outside as suggested. At the last minute I thought I would make the crest more compact by putting inside and filling some blank space. I will try an update on that, probably with a few alternatives. Its the same deal with the two-tone charcoal colours. They were one shade for a long time, but again I changed them, this time to try and add some depth. Now, I personally think it would be a shame to lose that depth, but perhaps there's a different way I can achieve that. Again, I'll try an update and you can see what you think.

Apologies for the small novel I've written here, I just like to give a good response to your great C&C. Thanks again, updates to follow soon!

Here are some changes as suggested. After moving the text outside the main crest I realised there was little need for it. If anyone feels it should stay, put forth your argument! However, I'm now left with some empty space on the logo, so any ideas for what to do there? Changed the colours on the crest, giving a few alternatives. The first two use one shade of grey each - one light, one dark. The third one keeps the two tone, but is a subtle change from the original badge, using a lighter shade only for the star.

Pick one you like, and any other suggestions for improvement are very welcome.

houston-newbadges.png

Seeing them all together like that, I actually think I like the original two-toned charcoal the best. And I think the wordmark inside the bottom of the statue serves to fill a lot of blank space and balances the whole logo. IMO you should stick with what you originally posted...

The "houston wanders" script in the original logo was about the only thing that really bothered me. These new ones without it look much better. I think the team name should be put seperate to the logo underneath it, in bigger letters, to balance out the star at the top. IMO.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Wow, you are very talented, I am very impressed with all of your MLS rebrands. I hadn't really looked at the other ones, but I am glad that I looked at this one! Personally, I am not a huge soccer follower/fan, but I do like these kits, and the crest looks great compared to some of the mediocre stuff I have seen in the MLS. I am looking forward to your next concepts.

Thanks for the C&C so far. Have tried a lot of things for the text on the crest, most of them not worth posting here. Having real trouble coming up with new ideas for this one, so I'll leave it for now, take a step back and try again at a later date.

Thanks again for the comments, if anyone has anything more to add please post because I will take it all into consideration once I come back to this concept. Stay tuned for the next in the series, and eventual updates to this one!

• 2 months later...

Archived