Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

6 minutes ago, Wings said:

Personally I would love to see Oklahoma & Oklahoma State bolt for the SEC. You could have them join Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri & Texas A&M in the West with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee & Vanderbilt in the East. 

That alignment is far too imbalanced with the East far more difficult.

6 hours ago, rams80 said:

The Big Twelve has had far worse luck on that front.

Really, any conference championship game is a chance for the conference to cannibalize the conference's chances of getting a team in the playoffs.  Using that argument when every other Power Five conference has it...and won't be getting rid of it....becomes a pointless argument.

So is the Big XII still planning on playing a nine-game conference schedule and then having a rematch for the title? Seems odd, but if this had been in place a couple years back with TCU and Baylor, I think the winner of that game would have been in over Ohio State, so this might be a perfectly fine way to do things for them.

I know the Sun Belt will have divisions in two seasons when they start playing their conference title game, but those teams still need the money generated from having four non-conference games. Though playing nine and having two potentially strong teams playing at the end may give them a better shot at the access bowl. Then again, it's not often that more than one team is any good in the Sun Belt in a year (if even that). Though I think things worked out really well for the Sun Belt in the long run. They now get to have the added revenue and fanfare of a conference title game like C-USA, but with only 10 teams to split the money among instead of 14, and the Sun Belt already makes more money per team in their TV deal than C-USA. 

On 10/31/2016 at 4:04 PM, Red Wolf said:

So is the Big XII still planning on playing a nine-game conference schedule and then having a rematch for the title? Seems odd, but if this had been in place a couple years back with TCU and Baylor, I think the winner of that game would have been in over Ohio State, so this might be a perfectly fine way to do things for them.

I know the Sun Belt will have divisions in two seasons when they start playing their conference title game, but those teams still need the money generated from having four non-conference games. Though playing nine and having two potentially strong teams playing at the end may give them a better shot at the access bowl. Then again, it's not often that more than one team is any good in the Sun Belt in a year (if even that). Though I think things worked out really well for the Sun Belt in the long run. They now get to have the added revenue and fanfare of a conference title game like C-USA, but with only 10 teams to split the money among instead of 14, and the Sun Belt already makes more money per team in their TV deal than C-USA. 

Yup, it's 1 vs 2. They probably didn't want to split up Okahoma, OK State and Texas. That makes it hard to come up with a good divisional setup that doesn't put all the stronger teams in the same division.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yup, it's 1 vs 2. They probably didn't want to split up Okahoma, OK State and Texas. That makes it hard to come up with a good divisional setup that doesn't put all the stronger teams in the same division.

THEY    WERE    KEEPING   THE    ROUND   ROBIN    REGARDLESS

The "point" of divisions was to provide a mechanism to prevent the championship game being a rematch of a game played the previous week.  (Yes, there was going to be a cross division game the last week of the regular season absent expansion, I assume the solution was that Kansas or Iowa State would be one of the teams in it).

All of this is stupid.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

18 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

True, but if Texas is 9-0 and played Kansas State with a 4-5 conference record, we'd moan about Oklahoma not playing at 8-1. That's why they did this. 

For what it's worth, there was some support of an alignment of TX schools plus WV in one, Oklahomas, Kanses, and Iowa State in the other.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 months later...

I know it's frowned upon to bump a thread, but there is news as of late..

Last month saw the Atlantic Sun add North Alabama to the roster. (Football will play in the Big South thanks to the strategic alliance of the two leagues)

Today, another addition to Division 1 as California Baptist will join the WAC in 2018

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The WAC is still a thing?  Sheesh.  That conference just won't die.

This is quite a lineup:

- New Mexico State - Heard of 'em.

- UT Rio Grande Valley - Only heard of because of a thread on the boards.

- Seattle U

- CSU Bakersfield

- Chicago State

- Grand Canyon U

- UM Kansas City

- Utah Valley

- California Baptist coming soon!

Not sure if I'd have pegged more than the top two as D1 teams.

27 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

This is quite a lineup:

- New Mexico State - Heard of 'em.

- UT Rio Grande Valley - Only heard of because of a thread on the boards.

- Seattle U

- CSU Bakersfield

- Chicago State

- Grand Canyon U

- UM Kansas City

- Utah Valley

- California Baptist coming soon!

Not sure if I'd have pegged more than the top two as D1 teams.

Wow...teams from schools in Missouri and Illinois have a lot of traveling to do for conference games.

Of the membership, only New Mexico State, Chicago State, UTRGV (Which is a merger of UTPA and UT-Brownsville, an NAIA school) and UMKC have been D-I schools for longer then a decade. Everyone else there have moved up from either Division II or, in the case of Utah Valley, the Juco level. Basically, once the league fell apart... they needed members badly. the two mid-western schools came on in a 'any port in a storm' situation.

California Baptist joining gives the league a backup option since the rumor is that Chicago State might have to drop athletics in the near future (which might not be bad thing since the Cougars are godawful in pretty much every sport they play in) thanks the issues with the state budget. Losing Chicago State puts the league at 7 (Grand Canyon becomes a legitimate D-I school next season, which will help keep the WAC from the danger zone)... from there, who knows. There aren't many schools that want to join a league that is essentially home to the vagabonds of Division 1.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4204979-sources-und-set-leave-big-sky-conference#.WIe0OsP1NV4.twitter

North Dakota and North Dakota State, together again! In 3 years time. It's interesting to see how far flung the Missouri Valley Football Conference is as well when it goes from the Dakotas all the way to the Pennsylvania border. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Looks like we have our first off season casualty to the bloated list of bowls. Surprised it was the Poinsettia Bowl to go down first given it always had decent attendence. But it definitely won't, nor should it be the last to fold.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-poinsettia-0126-story.html

When there are 40 bowls with many hosting losing record teams it's time to pare them back.

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm sure someone will convince the NCAA that playing a game in Myrtle Beach makes sense since it would keep the number of bowls the same. 

There's two years left on the moratorium on new bowl games, which was approved last April. 

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-approves-bowl-certification-moratorium

18 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Looks like we have our first off season casualty to the bloated list of bowls. Surprised it was the Poinsettia Bowl to go down first given it always had decent attendence. But it definitely won't, nor should it be the last to fold.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-poinsettia-0126-story.html

When there are 40 bowls with many hosting losing record teams it's time to pare them back.

I can think of a few more that can probably fall off the list too:

- Arizona Bowl (when you cant get a TV deal with ESPN or another big network and stick with the American Sports Network you're destined for failure)

- Bahamas Bowl (yes, its a nice location, but there's a reason why the MAC and CUSA are your affiliations)

- Cure Bowl (one stadium doesn't need 3 bowls)

- Birmingham Bowl and Camellia Bowl (Birmingham and Montgomery don't wow me as traveling cities.)

- Potato Bowl (I know they've been in the lineup for a long time, but it's Boise in December....hard nope.)

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I can think of a few more that can probably fall off the list too:

- Arizona Bowl (when you cant get a TV deal with ESPN or another big network and stick with the American Sports Network you're destined for failure)

- Bahamas Bowl (yes, its a nice location, but there's a reason why the MAC and CUSA are your affiliations)

- Cure Bowl (one stadium doesn't need 3 bowls)

- Birmingham Bowl and Camellia Bowl (Birmingham and Montgomery don't wow me as traveling cities.)

- Potato Bowl (I know they've been in the lineup for a long time, but it's Boise in December....hard nope.)

Not so coincidentally, a bunch of those have at least some relationship with the MAC. All except the Cure Bowl, I believe. Poor MAC.

Edit: and Arizona