dfwabel

Division 1 College Conference Realignment

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, nickp91 said:

 Mountain West would be solid with Gonzaga as an addition Would make mountain west the premier basketball conference on the west coast

Over the Pac-12?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Over the Pac-12?

With how bad the Pac-12 was this year, maybe so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MBurmy said:

EDIT: New Mexico State should be in the top of the Mountain West's targets too...after all, the Aggies are just as dominant in the WAC as the Zags are in the WCC.

 

New Mexico State's also broke and located in the middle of nowhere, while at least one MWC member is liable to be a "no" vote on adding them.  They'd love to be in the Mountain West, not sure the Mountain West would love to have them outside of some mega-expansion scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

If Gonzaga and BYU jump ship, the WCC should look at Seattle (a former WCC member who wants back) and I think they ought to take a look at Grand Canyon. It's a private school as well, so it would fit within the scope of the WCC. It would also expand the footprint into the Phoenix area. Not to mention that the Antelopes have a ready made fan base that is accustomed to winning.

 

Grand Canyon's a huge private for-profit with a larger online diploma mill program.  Also, it has historically been a bit evangelical.   The WCC may have tolerated adding BYU as a marriage of convenience, but they might get skittish about adding Grand Canyon's academic profile in the event that BYU left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rams80 said:

 

Grand Canyon's a huge private for-profit with a larger online diploma mill program.  Also, it has historically been a bit evangelical.   The WCC may have tolerated adding BYU as a marriage of convenience, but they might get skittish about adding Grand Canyon's academic profile in the event that BYU left.

 

They're also looking into shedding that for profit label by becoming a non profit school once again. Also, the evangelical label didn't exactly stop them from adding Pacific to the fold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

They're also looking into shedding that for profit label by becoming a non profit school once again. Also, the evangelical label didn't exactly stop them from adding Pacific to the fold.

 

Pacific is Methodist (sort of).  Grand Canyon was started by Southern Baptists.  That's....a major difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pepperdine is far more evangelical than anyone minus BYU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

And Gonzaga's staying put in the WCC.

 

I imagine some of the teams which don't stand a chance long as the Zags are in there are gonna head to the Big West...

Not a chance.

 

The WCC and Big West are different animals.  One has private, predominately Catholic schools while the other is entirely state schools.  Plus the Big West is already adding CSU Bakersfield and UC San Diego in the next two to three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

And Gonzaga's staying put in the WCC.

 

I imagine some of the teams which don't stand a chance long as the Zags are in there are gonna head to the Big West...

To piggyback on what LMU aid, there is still more money available in the WCC even with the renegotiation in Gonzaga's favor.  NCAA tournament shares specifically since Gonzaga gave them a Final Four appearance last year, so there are five more years of $8M to the conference. While St. Mary's doesn't make the tournament ever year, if they do get in, they typically win and earn an additional share.  The Big West isn't that successful.

 

 

Plus. the WCC is basically San Jose and north while the Big West is the southern part of the state.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Pacific left for the WCC, UC Davis is the only NorCal school in the Big West. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg McElroy was spouting off this morning that UConn should try to get back in the Big East. His rationale being that they aren't getting much out of football in the American, so why not go back? Football is the only sport that would be possibly hurt unless someone took them on as a football only school. The only league that would probably do that is Conference USA and I can't see them signing off on that. They could also go independent and schedule teams around the same level as UMass and Army. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a visual aid, I put together a color coded by conference map of NCAA D-I.

 

LINK

 

It's current for the 2018-19 season but with future D-I UC San Diego already thrown on there.

 

You can see that the WCC is kind of built in clusters.  3 SoCal teams, 4 greater Bay Area teams, 2 northwest teams, and the outlier out in Provo.

 

The Big West has 5 schools in the Greater LA area with two more in Central CA (soon to be 3) and another soon to be in SD.  The two real outliers are Davis and Hawaii.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 3:24 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Greg McElroy was spouting off this morning that UConn should try to get back in the Big East. His rationale being that they aren't getting much out of football in the American, so why not go back? Football is the only sport that would be possibly hurt unless someone took them on as a football only school. The only league that would probably do that is Conference USA and I can't see them signing off on that. They could also go independent and schedule teams around the same level as UMass and Army. 

The Big East, though, is exclusively private institutions, and all but one of them (Butler) are Catholic. UConn as an institution doesn't fit in the Big East. The problem is, they have no other real good home except the AAC, unless it's maybe the ACC.

 

They're otherwise too big and would never sign off on the A-10, CAA, or some other regional conference that fits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

The Big East, though, is exclusively private institutions, and all but one of them (Butler) are Catholic. UConn as an institution doesn't fit in the Big East. The problem is, they have no other real good home except the AAC, unless it's maybe the ACC.

 

They're otherwise too big and would never sign off on the A-10, CAA, or some other regional conference that fits.

It would probably work if Boston College went back as well. I don't think the ACC really helped BC at all except for maintaining a rivalry with Notre Dame and Pitt, outside of the money they are making they always seem to be in the middle to the back of the pack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It would probably work if Boston College went back as well. I don't think the ACC really helped BC at all except for maintaining a rivalry with Notre Dame and Pitt, outside of the money they are making they always seem to be in the middle to the back of the pack. 

Again though, BC is also a private, Catholic institution, so they would fit in the Big East as far as being similar to the other schools. They'd also make for a nice travel partner for Providence.

 

UConn is a flagship state school. That doesn't fit in the BE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Again though, BC is also a private, Catholic institution, so they would fit in the Big East as far as being similar to the other schools. They'd also make for a nice travel partner for Providence.

 

UConn is a flagship state school. That doesn't fit in the BE.

The fact they're public shouldn't preclude them from the Big East. If they aren't a fit it should. UConn may be larger but the amount of money their mens and womens basketball teams would bring back to the conference would be enough to bring them back. That is the ultimate goal of a move like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2018 at 11:39 AM, MJWalker45 said:

II don't think the ACC really helped BC at all except for maintaining a rivalry with Notre Dame

ha, good joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another announcement involving a full-time Big South member will take place tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.