Purple/Teal for Purple/Teal sakes

BadSeed84

Purple by itself -- good color. Black by itself -- good color. Purple and black together -- not so good.

Teal -- not a favorite of mine. I prefer the old aqua the Dolphins used at one time.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spurs - Ok they never used it in their uniform, but for their logo they did, and it made no sense, teal, pink and orange, so odd and 90ish, thankfully it never was used on thier uniforms

They are fiesta colors. These colors are all over the place in San Antonio. Makes more sense than black uniforms in a place that reaches into the 100s for a good chunk of the year.

Sacramento Kings - Ah yes in the 90s they felt like switching to 2 of the hottest colors then, purple and black. And it worked really good, and I'd say the colors are much better than blue and red were, only thing is they should have a black alt!

Purple is traditionally a royal color due to the expense of the dye in olden times. Of course, they could go Royal Blue as well, but we got plenty of blue teams.

The Pistons and Islanders are certainly the biggest offenders here, dropping classic, championship looks to add a trendy color. Not surprisingly, they both reverted.

No doubt that there absolutely nothing in the city of Detroit, and the team's identity (auto industry, horsepower, etc.) that justify the use of those colours, despite the fact that I loved that logo and the overall identity ( I hate the "Classic" Pistons' identity, I find it boring...).

But for the Isles, the Teal/Aqua made a lot of sense as part of a nauticl identity. I still maintain that it was one of the best upgrades I have ever seen in all of Pro Sports!!!

Anyone considered expanding this analysis to Junior teams?

Sure, the Kelowna franchise has its roots in the 90s,

a85feau8xx6wekhiuwrtl4i.th.gif

But what's Hull's excuse?

h6tn7chppxfibky6wmtshjp.th.gif

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Milwaukee Bucks - ah yes purple and green, I actually thought they didnt look bad, and it looked more forestish, but alas they went back to green and red

Red and any shade of green are way more forestish than purple. Maybe it could've worked if they'd kept green as the primary color, but by the time they got done tweaking those monstrosities, green had been reduced to a trim color on the road unis. Either way, they represent what by far has been the worst era of Bucks basketball and I couldn't be more glad they're gone.

LA Kings - they looked so cool in the 90s....sadly tho this team seems to hijack other team colors, first it was the lakers then it was the raiders, then gretzkey left and they wanted to have the same colors as the other kings in the nba, so black and purple came, they do look good in it! I think they need to have a purple jersey again, also if your gonna have a black ans silver jersey it should be the awesome one from the 90s

I think the mindset was "let's take the purple from the 'Lakers on ice' era and combine it with the silver and black from the Gretzky/Raiders era," moreso than copying those "other" Kings. But I still say the purple/gold jerseys with the original crown are amongst the greatest looks in NHL history.

Spurs - Ok they never used it in their uniform, but for their logo they did, and it made no sense, teal, pink and orange, so odd and 90ish, thankfully it never was used on thier uniforms

They are fiesta colors. These colors are all over the place in San Antonio. Makes more sense than black uniforms in a place that reaches into the 100s for a good chunk of the year.

Sacramento Kings - Ah yes in the 90s they felt like switching to 2 of the hottest colors then, purple and black. And it worked really good, and I'd say the colors are much better than blue and red were, only thing is they should have a black alt!

Purple is traditionally a royal color due to the expense of the dye in olden times. Of course, they could go Royal Blue as well, but we got plenty of blue teams.

Funny thing about that is that what was called "purple" back then is actually closer to what we call maroon now. So technically, the LA Kings should look something like the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The Hornets' use of teal was one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place (hey, I was 10). Can't really say I'm a fan of it (or purple) on any other team, though.

Also, whilst they weren't the first NBA team to use pinstripes on their unis, the Hornets certainly popularized them, for better or worse.

I was 25 (!), and I was too.

I'm thinking that they WERE the first NBA team to use pinstripes...who am I forgetting?

The Hawks had pinstriped trim for a few seasons in the mid-70s. The Hornets were the first team to use the stripes in the main body of the uniform in 1988, with the Magic following with a more traditional pinstripe pattern the following year. The Raptors, Rockets & Bulls added pinstriped unis in '95 (although the Bulls' only lasted a year - players complained about the feel of the jerseys) with the Pacers adding theirs in '97. Finally, the Bobcats added pinstripes this past season.

The Hawks had pinstriped trim for a few seasons in the mid-70s. The Hornets were the first team to use the stripes in the main body of the uniform in 1988, with the Magic following with a more traditional pinstripe pattern the following year. The Raptors, Rockets & Bulls added pinstriped unis in '95 (although the Bulls' only lasted a year - players complained about the feel of the jerseys) with the Pacers adding theirs in '97. Finally, the Bobcats added pinstripes this past season.

I had forgotten about those Hawks unis...however, due to the fact that the pinstriping was only present in certain areas of the uniform (as you mentioned), I don't know if I would really consider them to be pinstriped.

Lou_hudson_000.jpg

Funny thing about that is that what was called "purple" back then is actually closer to what we call maroon now. So technically, the LA Kings should look something like the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

I'm remembering a BallWonk dissertation right about now...

:P

Can we stop the whole "it's ugly because it's trendy" attitude? Frankly, in my humble opinion, if it looks nice, who cares if a uniform or a color scheme is "trendy" or not? The original Devil Rays color scheme is among my favorite schemes in sports history, despite its "trendiness".

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Can we stop the whole "it's ugly because it's trendy" attitude? Frankly, in my humble opinion, if it looks nice, who cares if a uniform or a color scheme is "trendy" or not? The original Devil Rays color scheme is among my favorite schemes in sports history, despite its "trendiness".

I agree with you. I'm waiting for another dumb article/thread where someone talks about the use of the trendy colors of red, white, and blue. Just get over it people. It's the reason why I take uniwatch as a joke, because of his dislike for purple. Get over it. Personally I think using purple and more teams should do it, is a big fat middle finger to uniwatch. More purple, screw uniwatch!

Trendy has nothing to do with being overused or bad, but red and blue color schemes are overused, and for the most part are pretty boring. That's why the 90's went in such a different direction.

I never liked the Devil Rays usage of purple and green, though it was certainly unique.

However, I always liked Arizona's original look, and they won a world championship wearing purple, too.

This, this, and this will always be amongst my favorites. Admittedly, I am a child of the 90s, but I genuinely love these colors as well.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I agree, actually. For some teams trendy 90s colours worked. For the most part these were expansion teams who could make teal and/or purple their own. The Sharks, for example. Yeah, teal was "in" at the time, but they made it their own.

The problem, I feel, comes when teams use the colours "just because." Like the Pistons. They had a strong history in red, white, and blue, and they threw it away to go with one of the trendy colours at the time.

So while trendy doesn't always equal ugly, it doesn't always equal good, either. Likewise traditional colour choices don't always equal boring.

Pistons - love (but loved the red/white/blue version of this more)

Grizzlies - hate

Bucks - love

Hornets - love

Kings - love

Spurs - hate (luckily, as you said, the unis were always silver/black), although like the D-Backs and Coyotes, it's a Southwestern thing

Raptors - hate (love their new look)

D-Backs - hate, but it fit the southwestern theme

Rockies - love; yeah I wish they used their regular jerseys and purple alt more; wish they made their WS run in those rather than the black vests

Marlins - love, please keep these colors as the Miami Marlins!

Mariners - love isn't strong enough to describe

Devil Rays - hate; actually like their current look because I'm a sucker for that color scheme

Ravens - love

Jaguars - hate

Ducks - love (what can I say, I grew up in MN with the Mighty Ducks movies, and we had just lost the Stars when the Ducks came into the league)

Kings - love

Islanders - guilty pleasure

Coyotes - hate; love their current look but would also rather see them back in Winnipeg

Sharks - love the original look, hate the current look

BTW, you forgot the Caps jumping on the teal bandwagon. The teal and the eagle logo were awesome; I wish they had kept those as the primary logo up until their current look, instead of the capitol building logo in between.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Archived