Cincinnati Reds/Chicago Cubs Road Uniforms

sorcerer77

I wanted to get some feedback, including from Reds and Cubs fans who are viewing this site about an idea for new road uniforms. It's always struck me how both teams have sharp logos on one side of their jerseys, which work well in circling their short, respective nicknames. However, the road jerseys just have the longer city name spelled out, and it seems like there could be a better alternative, while having a similarity with the home uniform.

For the Reds, why not slightly enlarge the "C", and carry it over to the other edge of the jersey. Then, insert the rest of the word "Cincinnati", starting with "i". Obviously, after the fourth letter, the rest of the city name would branch out across the chest.

For the Cubs, keep the circular "C" where it is, but enlarge it slightly. Then, insert the rest of the word "Chicago", starting with the "h". I'm thinking with the enlarged circle, there should be room for those three additional letters.

Thoughts?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs' roadies are pretty bland, especially compared to the gorgeous road script the White Sox have on theirs. I'll always be a big advocate for the "Cuba" wordmark, even if I'm the only one, but the Cubs do really need a change on that front. Maybe just put the bullseye logo on the left breast, a la the 80s blue road jerseys? I mean, honestly the Cubs haven't had much of a memorable visual identity other than the bullseye logo and the blue hat, so why not emphasize those instead of forcing a boring uppercase wordmark?

Also, bring back the blue sleeve cuffs! [/short rant]

330zl3b.png

I'm currently working on a set of Cubs jerseyes and I agree the wordmark on the road has to go. I like it, but there isn't a similar font anywhere else in the team's identity. I like the idea of making a new script built around the Cap C.... also, for at least the road jersey, if not an alternate, you gotta bring back the red billed hat.

ChicagoCubsPrimary.png

[link]http://boards.sports...ts/page__st__20[/link]

(personal plug)

I have always liked the road unis those are based off of. I thought they should go back to a similar uni to those for years. However, seeing that, it might be time to lose the red underline. Either that or go with solid blue letters on the front. Also, I prefer that sleeve patch to the current terrible one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Other than the underline on the script, I like those McCarthy

McCall. And the underline is being brought from their classic road uniforms.

That's like the 6th time that's happened in the last month. It's not that hard, folks.

and I don't like the red underline on the concept. It looks like a frown, which is why it worked so well for Norman Rockwell's painting.

norman-rockwell-the-dugout.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Other than the underline on the script, I like those McCarthy

McCall. And the underline is being brought from their classic road uniforms.

That's like the 6th time that's happened in the last month. It's not that hard, folks.

and I don't like the red underline on the concept. It looks like a frown, which is why it worked so well for Norman Rockwell's painting.

norman-rockwell-the-dugout.jpg

that's what failing for over a century does SMH!

maybe just put the cubs primary logo on the road jersey (minus the pinstripes)

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

A red underline would be great.

A red brim would not be great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

f9mwxe28gvpd1yab11a8adovg.gif

This is the best road script the Cubs could use.

nhnmnc3g1ffgjamdfgq4tskgd.gif

This is my favorite, but it doesn't work on uniforms. I'd like to see "CHICAGO CUBS" written out this way for an alternate wordmark, though.

One of the things I hate about the Cubs uniform, along with that stupid bear, is how the road greys have blue names and red numbers, outlined in white. That ends up being too much red for not just a predominantly blue team but one as tied to its blueness as the Dodgers. Numbers are bigger than names! Just make them both blue outlined in red on grey. We don't need white outlines anymore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, I've always thought that the Chicago Cubs 'C' cap logo is a classic font in which a road script could be built around it. Here's a script I made which shows what it would look like:

17s601.png

It's nice, but it probably wouldn't fly with how close it is to the famous Chicago Theatre.

2007_04_john_legend_chicago_theater.jpg

2718941649_1c453a99cf.jpg?1313376204

The Reds should go to a cool base version of their 1970 uniforms. Those were understated and classic. The font that they currently use looks ridiculous.

nl_1970_cincinnati.gif

This is what I wanted with the last change, but I can see the merit of what they did go with. I think the current font will be fine if it's allowed to exist for two or three decades. Right now it's contrived, but it has a chance to become classic. As for the ones above,if they had kept those and never changed them, they'd be considered all-time classics along with the Yankees, Dodgers, Tigers home, etc. It would thrill me to see them return.

Archived