Has this ever happened before?

BRM_PTX

Has any city had as much bad luck as far as facing future champions/teams playing championships as the city of Atlanta the past few years?

2008 Atlanta Falcons - Lost round one of the playoffs to eventual Super Bowl team Arizona.

2008 Atlanta Hawks - Lost in playoffs against eventual NBA finals champ Boston.

2009 Atlanta Falcons - 1 game out of wild card berth. Their last loss? Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints.

2010 Atlanta Braves - Lost NL wild card series against San Francisco who would go on to win the World Series.

2011 Atlanta Braves - Blew huge wild card lead and missed the postseason. The team that got in? St. Louis Cardinals who would go on to win the WS.

2011 Atlanta Falcons - Lost round one of the playoffs against eventual Super Bowl champions New York.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

We are cursed. Success comes in the regular season...and only the regular season.

Don't forget the Falcons, 13-3 record and home field advantage lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers 48-21 in the Georgia Dome. Most miserable night of my sports fanhood

Serves ya right for stealing the Braves from us :P

(Yes, I know the Braves came from Boston, but they left because everyone there cared more about the Red Sox.)

Has any city had as much bad luck as far as facing future champions/teams playing championships as the city of Atlanta the past few years?

2008 Atlanta Falcons - Lost round one of the playoffs to eventual Super Bowl team Arizona.

2009 Atlanta Falcons - 1 game out of wild card berth. Their last loss? Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints.

2010 Atlanta Braves - Lost NL wild card series against San Francisco who would go on to win the World Series.

2011 Atlanta Braves - Blew huge wild card lead and missed the postseason. The team that got in? St. Louis Cardinals who would go on to win the WS.

2011 Atlanta Falcons - Lost round one of the playoffs against eventual Super Bowl champions New York.

A lot of teams that don't win lose to teams that do. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you'd find plenty of other examples of the same "phenomenon".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You forgot one...

2011: Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg

That wouldve been worse if they did an Avalanche and won the Cup the year after moving.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

We are cursed. Success comes in the regular season...and only the regular season.

Don't forget the Falcons, 13-3 record and home field advantage lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers 48-21 in the Georgia Dome. Most miserable night of my sports fanhood

What? No mention of the WNBA Atlanta Dream losing in the WNBA Finals in 2010 AND 2011?

You both should be ashamed and you call yourselves "die hard" sports fans. [End sarcasm]

God how could I forget that? I've never hated an endzone celebration more than the belt thing by Aaron Rodgers that night. Falcons just had to play him when he was perfect.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

And of course, UGA football (supposedly the only team most Atlanta sports fans really care about) has lost any number of games in recent years to fellow $EC teams that wound up winning the conference and/or BC$ championship.

CCSLC signature.png

And of course, UGA football (supposedly the only team most Atlanta sports fans really care about) has lost any number of games in recent years to fellow $EC teams that wound up winning the conference and/or BC$ championship.

I forgot about the '07 and '08 Dawgs. In '07 UGA can't play for the NC because they didn't win their conference (Funny how ESPN is) and the next year...the blackout and Florida game. Just terrible.

A lot of teams that don't win lose to teams that do. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you'd find plenty of other examples of the same "phenomenon".

True, but it's just different for Cleveland Atlanta.

BB52Big.jpg

2009 Flyers = lost to the Penguins in the EC quarterfinals

2009 Phillies = lost to the Yankees in the WS

2010 Flyers = lost to the Blackhawks in the Cup Finals

2010 Phillies = lost to the Giants in the NLCS

2010 Eagles = lost to the Packers in the wildcard round

2011 Flyers = lost to the Bruins in the EC semifinals

2011 Phillies = lost to the Cardinals in the NLDS

Beat that

2009 Flyers = lost to the Penguins in the EC quarterfinals

2009 Phillies = lost to the Yankees in the WS

2010 Flyers = lost to the Blackhawks in the Cup Finals

2010 Phillies = lost to the Giants in the NLCS

2010 Eagles = lost to the Packers in the wildcard round

2011 Flyers = lost to the Bruins in the EC semifinals

2011 Phillies = lost to the Cardinals in the NLDS

Beat that

Yeah but the '08 Phillies winning the WS makes it a little more bearable. Atlanta hasn't had a championship since '95.

2007 Seahawks=

2007 Mariners=

2008 Mariners=

2008 Seahawks=

2009 Mariners=

2009 Seahawks=

2010 Mariners=

2010 Seahawks=

2011 Seahawks =

2011 Mariners=

2012 Mariners=

2012 Seahawks=

2013 Mariners=

2013 Seahawks=

2014 Mariners=

2014 Seahawks=

2015 Mariners=

2015 Seahawks=

2016 Mariners=

2016 Seahawks=

2017 Mariners=

2017 Seahawks=

2018 Mariners=

2018 Seahawks=

2025 Mariners=

2025 Seahawks=

2040 Mariners=

2040 Seahawks=

2100 Space Marines=

2100 Rockethawks =

2500 Galatic Travelers=

2500 Xiblorgs=

BEAT THAT!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

It's ok, Atlanta. You'll always have the Allman Bros.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

As a Vikings fan who still hasn't recovered from the 1998 NFC Championship Game, I say cry me a river.

As a Vikings fan who still hasn't recovered from the 1998 NFC Championship Game, I say cry me a river.

I'm not a Vikings fan, and I still haven't recovered from that game. Maybe because I wanted Randall to go to the SB, or maybe because I thought that the Falcons just sucked and wouldn't even give the Broncos a game (which of course is what happened.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not a Vikings fan, and I still haven't recovered from that game. Maybe because I wanted Randall to go to the SB, or maybe because I thought that the Falcons just sucked and wouldn't even give the Broncos a game (which of course is what happened.)

I'm haunted by that season since the Jets choked away a 10-0 3rd quarter lead at Mile High in the AFC title game. Atlanta was 14-2 that season, one of the two losses? A 28-3* thrashing by the Jets. I have zero doubt in my mind that if the Jets held on vs Denver they'd have manhandled the Falcons in Supe 33.

* To be fair that game was started by the Iceman, Steve DeBerg.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived