Help the (NBA) Mavericks design their new uniforms

gdu

The Mavs are going to re-do our uniforms for the 2015-16 season… if we get a unique and original design. What’s the best way to come up with creative ideas ? You ask for them. So we are going to crowd source the design and colors of our uniforms.

You know what an NBA uniform looks like. You know what the Mavs colors are for today and the past. We want some new ideas that stay true to our logo and at least close to our current color schemes. Show us what you got !

How do you participate ? You post your ideas/pictures/graphics/videos/photos directly on this blog. Yes we want every one to see them. Steve Jobs said “everything is a remix” . Uniforms probably more so than even technology. So we want every post to inspire other ideas and posts.

Who will own your design ? The minute you post it, the Mavs will. If you think its horrible that the Mavs own your design. Do not post. If you think its cool that the Mavs could possibly use your design and you will have eternal bragging rights , then post away. If we really like your design and you , I may even throw in some tickets. If we don’t use your design, it will still be here on this site for now and ever more for you to glance longingly at. If your design is close , if not identical to other designs and we pick one of the other designs, for whatever reason, then thats just the way it goes.

If we don’t choose any of the designs,including yours.then we don’t choose any of the designs. That is life in the big city. Move on.

This is your chance to get bragging rights and put your signature design on the Dallas Mavs and the NBA.

This opportunity will last till the last day in May.

Let’s see what you got

http://blogmaverick.com/2013/05/13/help-the-mavs-design-our-next-uniform/

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Cuban lost his mind? I really hope he's kidding. He's only going to compensate people with tickets for designing the visual identity of a multimillion dollar sports team? What if the winning design is by someone who lives nowhere near Dallas and isn't a fan of the team?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

was just coming on to post this.

i imagine they'll get a lot of amatuer ideas thrown at them, and can I also take this opportunity to plead that no one here post anything there. talk about degrading the profession, damn!

maybe we should make a thread in the Concepts section for people on the boards here to post their ideas for this farce. that way, the Mavs won't take ownership of their designs. sheesh.

EDIT: i think i might post this to the blog...

DFW2.jpg

:D

I think people should do submissions for this, but using only msPaint.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Has Cuban lost his mind? I really hope he's kidding. He's only going to compensate people with tickets for designing the visual identity of a multimillion dollar sports team? What if the winning design is by someone who lives nowhere near Dallas and isn't a fan of the team?

Yes. Several times.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm thinking about submitting tons of entries, but since he isn't paying me to be original, I'll just copy the looks of other teams. At all times I'll keep the logos Royal and Black, but the uniforms Navy and Royal. It just makes sense that way.

I'm gonna get KILLED by the professional desigers for saying this. I think this is a good idea.

Look, we've seen how much talent amatuer designers have, and with affordable graphic design tools its very possible for a creative person with time on their hands to design so very interesting and attractive concepts. We see it every day on these boards in the concept section. We've also seen the many professional designers and marketing firms do not always produce the work that we would expect them to.

So, look Mark Cuban if he's anything is a man of the people. He knows damn well that there are enough Mavs fans out there or sports logos / uniform fans out there that would spend a little time designing the uniforms simply for the oppurtunity for the Mavs to see their work (why do people post concepts here anyway? Just to show off their work and get some feedback, so why not have Mark Cuban be one of those people.)

Its not as if Cuban is forcing anyone to work for free. If you feel like doing it great, if not, don't! And yeah maybe they will choose your design and how about that!

The truth is it really sucks for the professionals that put in the time and training to perfect their craft and amatuers can step in and do something in their spare time that is almost as good, and in some cases better. (Did we really need a professional marketing firm to design the Thunder, or Marlins, or Astros looks? Its a colorful M! Its an H with a star!. Yeah its nice, I like it, but couldn't anyone have designed it? Especially the Astros since its based on a look that already exisited?)

Anyway i'm ranting away but just saying that IF someone is willing to work for free you really can't kill Cuban for taking advantage of that especially as we've seen those people's work can be as good as any pro.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I'm gonna get KILLED by the professional desigers for saying this. I think this is a good idea.

Look, we've seen how much talent amatuer designers have, and with affordable graphic design tools its very possible for a creative person with time on their hands to design so very interesting and attractive concepts. We see it every day on these boards in the concept section. We've also seen the many professional designers and marketing firms do not always produce the work that we would expect them to.

So, look Mark Cuban if he's anything is a man of the people. He knows damn well that there are enough Mavs fans out there or sports logos / uniform fans out there that would spend a little time designing the uniforms simply for the oppurtunity for the Mavs to see their work (why do people post concepts here anyway? Just to show off their work and get some feedback, so why not have Mark Cuban be one of those people.)

Its not as if Cuban is forcing anyone to work for free. If you feel like doing it great, if not, don't! And yeah maybe they will choose your design and how about that!

The truth is it really sucks for the professionals that put in the time and training to perfect their craft and amatuers can step in and do something in their spare time that is almost as good, and in some cases better. (Did we really need a professional marketing firm to design the Thunder, or Marlins, or Astros looks? Its a colorful M! Its an H with a star!. Yeah its nice, I like it, but couldn't anyone have designed it? Especially the Astros since its based on a look that already exisited?)

Anyway i'm ranting away but just saying that IF someone is willing to work for free you really can't kill Cuban for taking advantage of that especially as we've seen those people's work can be as good as any pro.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Graphic design no longer commands the prestige as it once did as technology has opened up the playing field for amateurs to enter the marketplace and create pro quality or near-pro quality. The major consequence of the evolution of graphic design is that no business values creative work anymore and therefore does not want to pay for it which in turn has made it poorly paying profession and typically a bad career choice in this day and age.

While the mavs will likely receive a ton of crap much like uniwatch posts, the concepts forum on this site is a perfect example of how amateurs can produce some pro-quality and sometimes superior work.

interesting thread.

i've found that most people on this board often create new identities/uniforms/court designs/endzone graphics/etc/etc/etc/etc for their own edification. so it's strange to see a few of you respond so negatively when a pro sports team actually provides an avenue for those designs to see the light of day...

im a huge mavs/bball fan, so this contest appeals to me.

im also a self-employed designer/developer with a full plate of client work. wish i had more free time this month so i could work something up for the mavs contest... but i dont, so i wont. simple as that.

couple of you act as if Cubes is withholding someone's paycheck. it's a fan contest with a fan contest-worthy prize. i don't see the big deal...

interesting thread.

i've found that most people on this board often create new identities/uniforms/court designs/endzone graphics/etc/etc/etc/etc for their own edification. so it's strange to see a few of you respond so negatively when a pro sports team actually provides an avenue for those designs to see the light of day...

The difference is, making concepts is a hobby. Designing uniforms that pro sports teams will actually wear is a job worthy of compensation.

Cuban is essentially asking amateurs to do a task for free that most teams pay professionals to do. It's lazy, it's cheap, and it shows a lack of respect for the effort professional designers put in.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

interesting thread.

The difference is, making concepts is a hobby. Designing uniforms that pro sports teams will actually wear is a job worthy of compensation.

Cuban is essentially asking amateurs to do a task for free that most teams pay professionals to do. It's lazy, it's cheap, and it shows a lack of respect for the effort professional designers put in.

All he's doing Is asking for volunteers to submit an idea. He's not forcing anyone to do anything. And the fact is that the effort that professional designers put in, while respectable, and the compensation they ask, is no longer necessary. The amateur work is just as good and on many occasions is better. Maybe Cuban is giving that profession all the respect it deserves

Don't you think accountants are pissed about Turbo Tax? Lawyers by legalzoom? Website designers about Intuit. But its not the clients fault they went the cheaper route if its just as good. In more and more area you Just do not need professionals anymore.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived