Help the (NBA) Mavericks design their new uniforms

gdu

regardless of who designs the uniforms or what their title is, that person should be compensated for the work they've done. but, if you like getting paid in "thank yous" and gift cards then so be it.

i believe there is a decent market for crowdsourcing and it's not all evil. i really dont have a problem with Bob's Bait Store going to 99designs and paying $200 for a logo. but a professional basketball team trying to get their uniform designed for free and owning everyones submissions? yea, thats bull :censored:. thats what devalues the profession and makes it a hobby or a novelty. everyone should have more respect for themselves at least if not the design profession than that. all you young guys that want to be a designer and have a career here should not be doing things like this.

i dont think that the available technology leads to better design results. putting it in the hands of more people will give you more crap than more "good". that's exactly what you see in EVERY crowdsourced project. the software will not design for you. wait til they choose a winning design (maybe) and watch the designers tear it apart for its bad kerning, color palette, alignment, flow, or whatever it is that someone who downloaded PS or AI came up with. unless they're lucky enough to get Tin Bacic to submit, for some reason he likes doing the spec work stuff, but thats his choice.

but whatevs, im not going to be designer-super-defender here. i don't think anyone should have to be, because it's very clear what this is

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's free to do this. Free market and all.

But he won't get work just as good. That's the disconnect in the two sides here. There may well be a pretty nice looking design. Especially in the case of uniforms where many people are more than happy to answer the question of "why is that stripe there?" with "because we use stripes in sports," there's a chance he'll see some designs many will like.

But I'd still contend he won't get work as good as if he were willing to pay for it.

And I'm certain that the majority of projects that are done on spec do not result in work as strong as those that offer a fair compensation. Whether that's the right call for a particular business or not must be taken on a case by case basis. Sometimes you really can get by just fine with a mediocre identity. Other times, entities are limiting their potential.

I won't jump up and down and scream about how spec work is the devil because the market is the market. But I'll tell you with supreme confidence that you won't, on the whole, get the quality of work from spec that you would from paying a designer a fair wage.

I think the problem with this is that he will pick a design, then have Nike or Adidas, or whoever clean it up and make it to NBA standards and they will be paid; everyone involved in getting the uni's on the floor will be paid, except the guy who did the actual heavy lifting.

Kind of reminds me of college football, except in this instance, the designer might get some tickets instead of a scholarship.

I think the problem with this is that he will pick a design, then have Nike or Adidas, or whoever clean it up and make it to NBA standards and they will be paid; everyone involved in getting the uni's on the floor will be paid, except the guy who did the actual heavy lifting.

Kind of reminds me of college football, except in this instance, the designer might get some tickets instead of a scholarship.

And that's what's so slimy about this whole thing. That and Cuban gloating like a jackass that he owns the designs and doesn't have to compensate the designer at all. :rolleyes:

Remember when he had supposedly "matured" during the Mavs' title run in 2011? Yeah, all that's out the window.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Did they ever wear those green uniforms or did you make them?

They really did wear those.

dal_uni_08.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

NM

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived