Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gay marriage is legal here in Canada and I've only seen like three people trying to marry their goats, so it's not as bad as you Americans think.

And those people were a lost cause anyway :D:upside:

If the CFL has to be the place where gay players play until the NFL can come around to the idea of a gay pro football player then so be it. Go Bi...I mean Ti-Cats :P

He could come up here to Canada.

Why not? That's what Warren Moon had to do until Murica could finally accept seeing someone darker than a paper bag behind center.

F~~k this country.

I don't think anyone bats an eyelash about black quarterbacks anymore. Honestly does anyone even notice the QB's skin color in 2014? It didn't even dawn on me until this very second that Nick Foles is the Eagles first "regular" white QB since Ty Detmer (or Bobby Hoying - I'm not counting Doug Pederson since he was signed specifically to be a transitional QB) in 97 or 98, and that with the exception of a couple of seasons in the late '90s, the Eagles have had a black QB since 1987.

Of course there's still racism in the country, but I think that people who "can't accept" a black qb just hate black people in general - the position is irrelevant.

Right... not anymore. But it wasn't until 1998 that more than a handful of teams had black starting QBs at the same time; even though the league itself had been predominantly black for quite some time at that point. A lot of black QBs played in Canada for that reason, and Warren Moon is probably the most famous example.

I imagine we're going to be seeing a lot of gay players going to the CFL for awhile, for similar reasons.

Nobody knows who most of the gay players are. It's not like they're a third skin color. I think you're being overly cynical here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tebow also refused to play any position other than quarterback. Half his exile is on himself. Guy throws like a little kid.

Yeah, that's true. He did contribute in that aspect.

So Dallas might pick up Sam after all? Good, they need players on that side of the ball badly.

The Cowboys don't need Sam for attention. They get plenty of attention as it is.

I don't get it. Sam gets cut and not signed by any team's practice squad, and there's complaining about that. Then he does get signed by a team, and a guy claims it's for attention purposes instead of football purposes.

Infrared's right. There's no pleasing people.

The Cowboys don't need Sam for attention. They get plenty of attention as it is.

I don't get it. Sam gets cut and not signed by any team's practice squad, and there's complaining about that. Then he does get signed by a team, and a guy claims it's for attention purposes instead of football purposes.

I wouldn't have any problem if another team signed Sam. Jerry Jones might be a good business man but he is still slimy as hell. Yeah I know the NFL is a business and he is going to do what's best for his team. It just reeks of being an attention whore. Jones wants that pat on the back from everyone for being a good guy. Disagree with me if you like. That's how I feel about Jones. I hope Sam makes it in the NFL, I really do. It's always style over substance with the Cowboys.

Aren't the Cowboys facing a season with a potentially historically-bad defense? Seems like adding a defensive player would make a little sense. Of course there's the question of why it took a few days, but still - until it actually proves to be a publicity stunt, just let it play out. If anything this is not a popular move with the local fanbase, so I'm not sure if a craving for national attention woud be worth the local hit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Gay marriage is legal here in Canada and I've only seen like three people trying to marry their goats, so it's not as bad as you Americans think.

Man, there are a lot of Newfies in Alberta now, huh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He is going to Dallas to take a physical.

Oh baby. Imagine if Jerry had drafted Manziel. Sam and Johnny Football occupying their media hyens alongside Jerry's World.

It would be ESPN's ultimate football wet dream.

I don't see the big deal. It's obvious Jerry has been a Romosexual for years...

I saw, I came, I left.

Man, there are a lot of Newfies in Alberta now, huh.
Actually I'm in Saskatchewan for school right now aaaand they're a completely different breed of people. You know, slippery slope and all. You let one guy get "intimate" with a 24 pack of Pilsner.

IbjBaeE.png

The story about how Sam was a jerk to an interviewer until he found out the interviewer was gay sort of rubbed me the wrong way. It doesn't exactly go in the "transcend small-minded opinions and misconceptions" side of the ledger. But look at me, next thing you know I'll be asking him to have sex with girls.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wouldn't have any problem if another team signed Sam. Jerry Jones might be a good business man but he is still slimy as hell. Yeah I know the NFL is a business and he is going to do what's best for his team. It just reeks of being an attention whore. Jones wants that pat on the back from everyone for being a good guy. Disagree with me if you like. That's how I feel about Jones. I hope Sam makes it in the NFL, I really do. It's always style over substance with the Cowboys.
I think that argument might fly any year other than this one. The Cowboys D has potential to be all time bad with the injuries and players that left. Yeah, Sam brings some pub, but in this case it's just an accessory to the fact he is a young, able body that can contribute. Hopefully.

Dallas is a perfect fit for Sam. Distraction is part of the Cowboys experience since the mrdia is always buzzing over Jerry Jones. The Cowboys defense looks terrible and should open the door for Michael Sam to play right away.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Sometimes I just wonder...

All it would take is one week of everyone (or most people) not watching ESPN or reading news articles etc. about this kind of thing and all of the media hype would go away. It would just be about a players ability on the field.

For this reason I personally refuse to blame the media hype that surrounds Michael Sam on the media itself. As well as all of the baggage that goes with that.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Its unavoidable marble, I watch ESPN very rarely these days, I go to MLB, NFL and NHL network for highlights or use my phone. However, Michael Sam on ESPN becomes the story when they make dumbass stories of his showering habits. Its almost ironic, ESPN has been championing Sam's cause and they did the single most offensive thing and the single thing that can hurt gay players in the NFL by covering his showering habit. I know if I was a Ram I would not want that reporter in my locker again, reporters that get in the locker need to understand what needs to stay in that room. Things that are private and have no effect on the field.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Its unavoidable marble, I watch ESPN very rarely these days, I go to MLB, NFL and NHL network for highlights or use my phone. However, Michael Sam on ESPN becomes the story when they make dumbass stories of his showering habits. Its almost ironic, ESPN has been championing Sam's cause and they did the single most offensive thing and the single thing that can hurt gay players in the NFL by covering his showering habit. I know if I was a Ram I would not want that reporter in my locker again, reporters that get in the locker need to understand what needs to stay in that room. Things that are private and have no effect on the field.

Unfortunately it's ESPN's job to report things that people care about. There's obvious a lot of people (pro/against Sam) curious how the showering situation is and how that may/may not be affecting the team. Obviously it's TMZ-esque, but Just because ESPN covers "sports" doesn't mean the journalists aren't slimy. That's part of journalism.

There's obvious a lot of people (pro/against Sam) curious how the showering situation is and how that may/may not be affecting the team.

It's far from "obvious" to me. I suspect most people really don't care.
Agreed. Gay or straight, professional athlete or not, I, and most people I'd presume, don't really care what any guy does in the shower.

Now, on the other hand, if you're talking about the women's volleyball team...

There's obvious a lot of people (pro/against Sam) curious how the showering situation is and how that may/may not be affecting the team.

It's far from "obvious" to me. I suspect most people really don't care.
Agreed. Gay or straight, professional athlete or not, I, and most people I'd presume, don't really care what any guy does in the shower.

Now, on the other hand, if you're talking about the women's volleyball team...

You really need to get off this volleyball player kick. Especially fake ones from Arizona :D

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived