This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 games tomorrow....SMFH.......why are MLB in such a hurry to get the playoffs over with ? how about max 2 games a day !

Because the season is damn long enough as it is. How would you like to be playing baseball in November in Detroit?

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

4 games tomorrow....SMFH.......why are MLB in such a hurry to get the playoffs over with ? how about max 2 games a day !

Because it's an everyday sport and should still be treated a semblance of one come the postseason?

For a few years in the late part of the '00s, there was a format that, in the divisional round, the best team from the league who won the ASG could elect to play a best-of-5 over the course of seven days, or a best-of-5 over the course of eight. The former would begin on a Thursday, the latter on a Wednesday. This meant that the Twins-Yankees series in the 2009 ALDS went like this (italics for games and days that never happened):

Wednesday - Game 1

Thursday - off

Friday - Game 2

Saturday - off

Sunday - Game 3

Monday - Game 4

Tuesday - off

Wednesday - Game 5

There was also the most superfluous off-day in the history of baseball in each LCS:

Game 1

Game 2

off

Game 3

Game 4

off

Game 5

off

Game 6

Game 7

That middle off-day wasn't even a travel day; the LCS is a 2-3-2 series. It was done for the networks who didn't want to air games on the same day and have to air day games. As good as the 2009 Yankees were, they abused the hell out of this system so that they didn't have to pitch four starters (because their #4 starter was...umm...Chad Gaudin?) at any point that postseason; only in the World Series with the multiple occurrences of three-days rest did that arise as any kind of potential issue.

Once the Yankees were done abusing this, MLB, thankfully, rectified the system beginning in 2010.

spacer.png

Isn't it true that teams actually get a formal invitation from the office of the commissioner and they have to actually accept the invitation? Of course no team ever turns it down.

I think I remember reading that once.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I used to follow Baseball's Best Fans, but it just made me angry. It's better for my sanity to not know what those people think*

*fully aware that if Cincinnati ever had the Cardinals run of success we'd be just as intolerable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I am not on the Cardinal hate wagon. I have no beef with the Cards (though I will pull for teams with longer-suffering fanbases).

But I still thought it hilarious when I clicked the above link and the second tweet from the top referenced the Cardinals as "God's Team." The Packers of MLB, eh?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So the Orioles blew out the Tigers. That was odd. I wish I had seen the game, all I could do was look at the game tracker on Sportsnet.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

These Royals are killlllllllinnnnnngggggg meeeeeeee.

(Or more precisely, the Angels with runners in scoring position. Down a run with no one on? Solo homer, boom. Tie game with man on second? Disaster.)

To extras. Bllllllaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That's what happens when you don't capitalize on opportunities. Angels flat out blew that game, and the Royals hung around to pick it up.

It's just one game. But I have a feeling this goes five. After what I saw from the Royals, I am impressed with the fight in them.

---

And this series sucks. Either the Angels lose or they crush the fun of the Royals. I wanted to crack down on the few KC fans there that we're going nuts on winning just Game 1, and then I remembered for most of them, they've literally never been here before. Blah.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And this series sucks. Either the Angels lose or they crush the fun of the Royals. I wanted to crack down on the few KC fans there that we're going nuts on winning just Game 1, and then I remembered for most of them, they've literally never been here before. Blah.

They weren't yelling "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" were they?

Archived