• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GM took the gamble, he put the Sabres through two hellish seasons in order to try and get the big shiny diamond, and they didn't collect. They did the league and their fans a disservice by not trying their best to field a quality product on the ice. There's no honor in purposely doing your best to not win games. It's justice that they don't get rewarded the way they hoped to be.

Last year, this wasn't much of a subject.

As for this year, consdering all the Tank Talk and all the buzz everybody contributed to in their own way, I don't think Sabres fans were too upset about consistently sucking. We've seen the pictures of the fan with a 30th place t-shirt and the McEichel.com website with Sabres colors. Everytime Lindback got hot, fans were always hoping that the sucky back-up would take his place the next game. Imagine what would have happened, had the Sabres scored a tying goal with 2 minutes left in that regulation game against Columbus. This whole scenario could have taken a much different turn yesterday.

Now is their approach an honorable one? Absolutely not. So I agree with you. Did they do a disservice to the league? I think so, so I'll agree with you there too. But as for doing a disservice to the Sabres fans...besides making them look bad, they pretty much jumped on board from day one and ate it up. The ones who claim to have "cheered silently" still cheered. There's no difference between a discreet smirk when the opposition scores and jumping around like you won the Stanley Cup when the opposition scores. Both were equally as happy, and both were aiming for the same goal.

This is so absurd it's hilarious.

That's what you get for tanking, Buffalo! Glad the Sabres didn't win the lottery. Deliberately trying to not win games in multiple seasons is shameful business.

Yeah. Now they'll have to settle for Eichel. Settling for the second best player in a generation. That'll teach them :rolleyes:

Also, this should be another factoid in that Bettman doesn't hate Canada.

We've still got pulling rules out of his a** to stop a local ownership group from buying the original Jets to keep them in town. Or basically giving every market a shot at a NHL team before Quebec City. Also holding a grudge against a guy who wanted to move a team to Hamilton.

And threatening to relocate the Jets 2.0 before they even played a single game.

Sarah McLellanVerified account ‏@azc_mclellan

LeBlanc said #Coyotes missed winning the draft by one number in the four-number sequence.

Suck it, Coyotes!

See, stuff like this makes me think it was rigged in the Coyotes' favour. It's just that the league is so incompetently run that they even manage to botch this :censored:

:upside:

Anyway I agree with Lights Out to a point. It DOES look bad when the next generational talent looks visibly pained at the prospect of playing for the dumpster fire of a team that won the draft lotto. That's not on Bettman though.

That happens with every single league that has a draft though.

To a degree. The lotto, and the Oilers' history, take this to a whole new level. This wasn't the Oilers getting the first overall pick because they were the worst team in the league. This was them winning the first overall pick after squandering three other first overall picks in a lotto that included teams people would have rather seen McDavid go to. And seeing the next big generational talent look so dejected, given that history the Oilers have? Yeah, it's not a good look for the NHL.

I don't blame Bettman though. It's just a really :censored: y draw. Nothing anyone can do about it.

I shouldn't have to tell the two of you that. You're both Chargers fans.

Surely you're not calling Eli a generational talent ;)

Of course not, but the argument from LO was that he wasn't hiding his disappointment and that made the league look like a third rate joke. But guys get drafted by teams they don't want to play for all the time in the NFL and NBA and pout about it on TV. It's not exclusive to this one occurrence in the NHL and it didn't make the league look like a third rate joke. I mean, the lottery aired on network TV in the states.

The bigger problem for the NHL isn't his reaction to the Oilers winning (I think all of us had a similar "Are you kidding me" reaction). The bigger problem is this player is going to be buried in a small Canadian market that has shown itself incapable of winning. The league needed him to go to a bigger market.

Here was my order of where I wanted him to land from most desirable to oh dear god no: Columbus, Buffalo, Toronto, Dallas, Colorado, Florida, San Jose, Carolina, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Boston, Los Angeles, Edmonton, Arizona.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The bigger problem for the NHL isn't his reaction to the Oilers winning (I think all of us had a similar "Are you kidding me" reaction). The bigger problem is this player is going to be buried in a small Canadian market that has shown itself incapable of winning. The league needed him to go to a bigger market.

If there's anything to be salvaged from McDavid going to the Oilers it's that it must royally piss off the "he has to go to the Coyotes or Hurricanes for the betterment of the league! GROW THE GAME™ !" people.

I don't think playing in Canada is a problem. Even a small Canadian market. Considering how much money the Canadian teams and television deals make the league? The next face of the league playing for a Canadian team is probably a good thing. The problem isn't "Canada." The problem is that the Oilers squander promising young talent like it ain't no thing.

As far as him getting to another team? I really hope the Leafs make a move. And not some HF Boards Leafs fan nonsense either. Trade whatever it takes.

Of course not, but the argument from LO was that he wasn't hiding his disappointment and that made the league look like a third rate joke. But guys get drafted by teams they don't want to play for all the time in the NFL and NBA and pout about it on TV. It's not exclusive to this one occurrence in the NHL and it didn't make the league look like a third rate joke.

I think there's a bit of a double standard at work. The NFL and NBA are more popular. They're almost tv shows in their own right. A number one pick refusing to play for the team that drafted him? That's drama. That's intrigue. The NHL, as far as the US goes, simply isn't that popular.

Culture also plays into that double standard. We've talked about Good Canadian Boy Hockey Culture encourages talent to keep their head down and not make waves. So when the next generational talent looks like he rather not play for the team that's in all likelihood going to draft him? That's going to look bad to hockey fans. Canadian and American alike, as that culture (or at least a version of it) seems to have permeated down from the Canadian fanbases to their Sunbelt counterparts.

The NBA and NFL? Entirely American in culture. A number one draft pick doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him? Sure some people will call him on it, but others are going to champion his individualism and desire to play only where he wants to play.

The way I've made myself come to terms with this is that McDavid -- if his agent doesn't force a trade -- is going to be more important to the Edmonton Oilers than the cult of nostalgia that has sabotaged the organization. If this crap continues with Lowe and MacTavish damaging the franchise, then they're going to be gone before they can irreparably ruin the guy who's supposed to be better than Crosby. Speaking of Crosby, he came into Pittsburgh with a team that was in shambles with a terrible coach and a general manager whom the game had passed by, and now the Penguins are a cornerstone of the league again, as they ought to be. The needle is pointing up a little bit with Todd Nelson behind the bench, and there's a wealth of homegrown talent waiting to flourish. Like Buffalo, an on-point goalie signing can make a huge difference going forth. These are the things I have to tell myself so that I don't have to think about a great player being squandered by idiots.

Here was my order of where I wanted him to land from most desirable to oh dear god no: Columbus, Buffalo, Toronto, Dallas, Colorado, Florida, San Jose, Carolina, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Boston, Los Angeles, Edmonton, Arizona.

Mine was

Toronto: 10

Philadelphia: 9

Buffalo: 8

Columbus: 7

Boston: 7

Dallas: 6

Los Angeles: 5

New Jersey: 5

San Jose: 4.5

Edmonton: 4

Colorado: 3

Florida: 2

Arizona: 1

Carolina: -∞, picture of a Whalers fan violently projectile-vomiting

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Amid all my keyboard smashing, I thought I brought up a pretty decent point - that McDavid's disappointment might not have been because he was going to Edmonton, but because he wasn't going to Toronto. This guy waxed poetic on multiple occasions about how big of a Leafs fan he is, compared himself to Tyler-freaking-Bozak a few weeks ago, and wore a blue suit with a blue and white shirt to the draft lottery. I mean come on.

Watch from 5:00-5:06...

He looks up at the Leafs poster, looks away, closes his eyes, and then continues on with such a dejected look on his face. You can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

That's what I'm thinking as well. The kid had a chance to go to:

- his childhood team not far from where he grew up in Toronto

- a team not far from where he played junior in a city that had already made him a god in Buffalo

- warm weather in Florida, Dallas, Carolina, Arizona, LA and San Jose

- possible cup contenders in Los Angeles, Boston, and San Jose with him in the team

- huge hockey hotbeds such as New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Boston

- talent filled teams that are just a player or some luck away from being a strong playoff contender such as Columbus, Colorado, and Florida

And he goes to Edmonton, a team that falls into none of those categories and is so mismanaged that it leaves me wondering if I actually could be a better GM than McTavish or Lowe.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The kid had a chance to go to:

- his childhood team not far from where he grew up in Toronto

- a team not far from where he played junior in a city that had already made him a god in Buffalo

- warm weather in Florida, Dallas, Carolina, Arizona, LA and San Jose

- possible cup contenders in Los Angeles, Boston, and San Jose with him in the team

- huge hockey hotbeds such as New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Boston

- talent filled teams that are just a player or some luck away from being a strong playoff contender such as Columbus, Colorado, and Florida

And he goes to Edmonton, a team that falls into none of those categories and is so mismanaged that it leaves me wondering if I actually could be a better GM than McTavish or Lowe.

It's not like people don't love hockey in Edmonton. There's really not much else to do in Edmonton in the winter.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

He looks up at the Leafs poster, looks away, closes his eyes, and then continues on with such a dejected look on his face. You can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.

Nice job slipping a Simpsons reference in there. I've been thinking about ways to improve the draft lottery, as it's been a common subject of discussion throughout the 2015 tankfest. Some suggestions I have heard range from minor to drastic and ridicuous (one article I read suggested a playoff style tournament with the non-playoff teams battling for the top pick). While no one likes to see tanking, I don't think it would be fair to completely level out the lottery odds among non-playoff teams. Imagine how people/the internet would have reacted if LA was going to be selecting McDavid in June. The league doesn't want the same teams finishing last every year, so it makes sense that they would give them the best chance to improve their team through the draft. This year was a fairly unique situation, with the top two consensus picks considered to be franchise changing players. Teams took tanking to another level because they knew a 30th place finish guaranteed them one of those players. With next years changes a 30th place finish will only guarantee you a top 4 pick. I do think though that the teams that win the lottery should be ineligible for the next few years. The team that wins 1st overall should miss out on the next three lotteries, 2nd overall the next two, and 3rd overall the following year's.

I do think though that the teams that win the lottery should be ineligible for the next few years. The team that wins 1st overall should miss out on the next three lotteries, 2nd overall the next two, and 3rd overall the following year's.

Yeah, that'll be on the way next if this new system doesn't work. With all the Oiler chatter in the past 48, there's enough truth to the idea that Edmonton has gained more than McDavid, they've now ended up with the added responsibility, & burden, of having to improve overnight with jobs on the line.

It will be interesting to see who they can hire to coach them. No way Babcock goes there for 5yrs, + he wants GM duties, yet there are a number of name coaches who could put their stamp on things.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Fire everyone.

Hire Chiarelli, and make him hire Carlyle.

Get rid of the allegedly uncoachables (Hall, Yakupov, etc) and bring in a couple of top 4 defence men, and bring in the best Fans goalie possible.

Edmonton has 5 or 6 #5 defensemen right now. That's gotta change at the very least.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I blame admiral. He wanted the American player in the American market (that's not a thing we care about), and the good Canadian boy in a good Canadian market. Your monkey paw granted your wish, but the turkey was a little dry.

Actually, some people care about that I guess, but they're not too good at math:

"“I was going in with zero expectations of getting McDavid,” said Teplitsky, who knows a thing or two about sports, having worked as Buster Bison from 2011 until 2014 before moving to Ohio. “As they said, 20 percent chance of McDavid, 100 percent chance of Eichel. Plus he’s a U.S. boy, so I liked that."

That's what you get for tanking, Buffalo! Glad the Sabres didn't win the lottery. Deliberately trying to not win games in multiple seasons is shameful business.

They still got Eichel.

The Sabres twitter feed is ridiculous. What team cries in sadness and defeat to have Jack Eichel on their roster?

This is so absurd it's hilarious.

Yeah. Now they'll have to settle for Eichel. Settling for the second best player in a generation. That'll teach them :rolleyes:

These weren't "The Jack Eichel Sweepstakes".

Didn't see Eichel being interviewed about his thoughts on who might be taking him tonight on national TV.

Didn't see Eichel at all on television tonight.

Haven't seen Eichel being called his sport's next once-in-a-generation player.

Haven't seen Eichel being compared to LeBron or Crosby or Lemeiux.

Didn't see Buffalo fans cheering clinching 30th place in hopes of drafting Eichel.

Eichel may very well be a very good player, but he's not McDavid. Buffalo wasn't tanking games and seasons for Eichel. They're settling for Eichel, which means they didn't get the prize they were really wanting.

As we all said in Buffalo. The Tank was for Eichel, the prize was McDavid.

Fire everyone.

Hire Chiarelli, and make him hire Carlyle.

Get rid of the allegedly uncoachables (Hall, Yakupov, etc) and bring in a couple of top 4 defence men, and bring in the best Fans goalie possible.

Edmonton has 5 or 6 #5 defensemen right now. That's gotta change at the very least.

Keep Taylor Hall, don't ever make anyone hire Randy Carlyle for anything, but do everything else you said.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've been thinking about ways to improve the draft lottery, as it's been a common subject of discussion throughout the 2015 tankfest. Some suggestions I have heard range from minor to drastic and ridicuous (one article I read suggested a playoff style tournament with the non-playoff teams battling for the top pick). While no one likes to see tanking, I don't think it would be fair to completely level out the lottery odds among non-playoff teams. Imagine how people/the internet would have reacted if LA was going to be selecting McDavid in June. The league doesn't want the same teams finishing last every year, so it makes sense that they would give them the best chance to improve their team through the draft. This year was a fairly unique situation, with the top two consensus picks considered to be franchise changing players. Teams took tanking to another level because they knew a 30th place finish guaranteed them one of those players. With next years changes a 30th place finish will only guarantee you a top 4 pick. I do think though that the teams that win the lottery should be ineligible for the next few years. The team that wins 1st overall should miss out on the next three lotteries, 2nd overall the next two, and 3rd overall the following year's.

Similar stuff has been discussed in the NBA after the tank jobs the Sixers did the past two seasons. For now, the NHL one can be fixed by doing what the NBA does and picking the top 3 spots, not just the top 1.

Similar stuff has been discussed in the NBA after the tank jobs the Sixers did the past two seasons. For now, the NHL one can be fixed by doing what the NBA does and picking the top 3 spots, not just the top 1.

I have a bigger problem with the Sixers continually trading established players for more & more draft picks. That's not even participating in an NBA season let alone tanking.

Having said that, I wouldn't bar teams from doing so. If the Sixers think they can build a dynasty with a bunch of mid & late rounders, then let them fail doing so.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Sidebar: How much more angry would we all be at the Oilers right now if they had actually won the Stanley Cup in 2006? That was sooo close to happening. If Dwayne Roloson doesn't get hurt then that what's his name captain of theirs is lifting the cup.

So this management team would have a ring and 4 number one draft picks.

The 2006 finals feel like forever ago. I had just graduated from high school and I watched every game of the finals with this girl I was trying to get with before we went to separate colleges. I was trying to impress her with my hockey knowledge. This strategy did not work and I haven't talked to her in ~7 years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

But on the same token, the butterfly effect.

We can't say for certain that if the Oilers win the cup in 2006, they end up where they are today. Maybe they win and maybe Pronger doesn't leave Edmonton.Then maybe Kevin Lowe gets lost at sea during a celebratory cruise he took after the win and they don't turn it into an Old Boys Club.

There are so many variables that could have been changed.

IbjBaeE.png

But on the same token, the butterfly effect.

We can't say for certain that if the Oilers win the cup in 2006, they end up where they are today. Maybe they win and maybe Pronger doesn't leave Edmonton.Then maybe Kevin Lowe gets lost at sea during a celebratory cruise he took after the win and they don't turn it into an Old Boys Club.

There are so many variables that could have been changed.

Of course you're right about the butterfly effect, but I think Pronger leaves regardless. His wife wanted out of Edmonton at all costs Stanley Cup or not.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived