2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now with TCU at 3 and Baylor at 6, I don't know if Baylor jumps TCU simply by beating K-State this Saturday. It helps that K-State is at 9 now, but that is a decent amount of space to cover if Baylor is supposed to jump TCU AND force them out. Could an undefeated Florida State be left out of the Top 4?

Seriously, if Florida State skates by in another close game vs Georgia Tech and Ohio State beats Wisconsin and Baylor beats Kansas State, do the Seminoles get the boot?

Also with Arizona at 7 (gag me), a win over Oregon would easily solidify them in the Top 4 (gag me) wouldn't you think? (kill me)

FSU moving down to #4 was so intentional.

They still have to sell tickets to both the semifinal games and it's MUCH easier to sell Seminoles fans to buy both tickets (and reserve rooms) in New Orleans and drive as opposed to flying to Pasadena for the semifinals over New Year's plus to D/FW a week later.

If a TCU/BAYLOR is selected, it's basically one trip to Pasadena since TCU is local and Waco is a two hour drive north on a bad day.

Missouri moves up only one spot to 16... where's Rodney Dangerfield when you need him?

YOU LOST TO INDIANA. AT HOME.

Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech at home by two touchdowns. No way they should be considered for the playoff.

Also, what is Michigan State doing at #8? They have 0 top 25 wins. Miss. State, Wisconsin, and Ole Miss should all be ahead of them.

So if a miracle happens and the almighty Crimson Tide get upset by Mizzou, does that mean that the SEC is shut out of the playoff?? *Gasp*

I would say yes. Unless, the miracle keeps going and somehow a crazy combination of Ohio State, TCU, Florida State, and Baylor losses keeps the almighty Tide in the top four.

The SEC's worst nightmare already happened with Mizzou winning the East. What's worse than a nightmare? :D

EDIT: And to be fair to Michigan State, their only two loses were to the current #2 and #5 ranked teams and pretty much destroyed everyone they played save for Nebraska. Ohio State has only one win over a top 25 team.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Missouri moves up only one spot to 16... where's Rodney Dangerfield when you need him?

Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech at home by two touchdowns. No way they should be considered for the playoff.

Also, what is Michigan State doing at #8? They have 0 top 25 wins. Miss. State, Wisconsin, and Ole Miss should all be ahead of them.

Michigan State's two losses are to teams both in the top 5. Wisconsin lost to a 5-7 team. Ole Miss was shutout by a 6-5 Arkansas team. You got me at Mississippi State, even though they lost to Ole Miss.

If you're a Power 5 team, losing at home to Indiana is basically the college football equivalent of getting the black spot. Mizzou was Indiana's biggest non-conference win in at least a decade.

At least Virginia Tech is going bowling and has some cachet and name recognition. And Mizzou's cause was not helped by the SEC East sucking this season and them getting blown apart by Georgia.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think we'll eventually see a 8-team playoff, but not for a while. Though just a quick calculations and predictions. If all CC Games are as preditcted then the top 8 would probably look like this:

Yes, TCU is out of the top 4, but really I think if Ohio State beats Wisconsin, you could see Ohio State in the top 4. However this is a what if on the top 8, so... let's settle it on the field! :D

1. Alabama

2. Florida State

3. Oregon

4. Ohio State

5. TCU

6. Baylor

7. Mississippi State

8. Michigan State

Kasansas exits the top 10 with their loss to Baylor and Arizona exits with their loss to Oregon. Move in Mississippi State and Michigan State. Adjust for travel proximity and to avoid rematches. Dec 13, would be Quarter Final Weekend, and you would have the lower 4 seeds traveling to the stadium of the higher 4 seeds, no neutral sites. Here's what that would look like:

December 13, 2014

Game 1: 12:30pm/ET: #7 Mississippi State @ #2 Florida State

Game 2: 3:30pm/ET: #5 TCU @ #4 Ohio State

Game 3: 5:30pm/ET: #8 Michigan State @ #1 Alabama

Game 4: 8:00pm/ET: #6 Baylor @ #3 Oregon

Intriguing matchups!! :)

You would then reseed from 1-4 with the top seed getting the closer bowl location, for example if Mississippi State, TCU, Oregon and Alabama win, you'd reseed: #1 Alabama, #2 Oregon, #3 TCU, #7 Mississippi State. Alabama would host Mississippi State at the Sugar Bowl, and Oregon would host TCU at the Rose Bowl. The Semi Final Schedule would be played on New Years Day with the National Championship Game be played as scheduled.

Hey now. At least we're a bowl team and don't wear candy cane-inspired helmets. And our defense is good!

Alabama and TCU have won close games as well. They haven't been in as many close games as FSU, but they've still been in them. Bama lost to Ole Miss, who got destroyed by an SEC bottom-feeder of Arkansas. Let's not forget how close Bama was to losing to Arkansas. I know Bama plays more quality opponents, but hey, Bama ain't still undefeated. Neither is Oregon. Or TCU. Or Ohio State. Or Baylor. And the list goes on and on and on.

Just not as many, against better teams. Please tell me you have plans to move to either Florida or Pennsylvania once you get out of college. Your SEC "bottom feeder" Arkansas would've contended in the East this season and is going to a bowl game, and have the same or better records than Syracuse, Wake Forest, Oklahoma State, Miami, and Virginia. And FSU was also bailed out of a loss to a team that has lost to Northwestern and USC by 35.

Alabama am not still undefeated, seriously?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Florida has reached out to Chip Kelly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What about Dan Mullen? Has there been any rumblings about that move?

Former assistant under Urban Meyer... seems like it would be a good fit to me, and I'm sure Florida would have more than enough cash (along with the prestige of Florida and all) to lure him away from Starksville.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

But Florida AD is in Ft. Collins tonight meeting with CSU coach Jim McElwain and negotiating a reduced buyout with the CSU President.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2014/12/02/report-florida-ad-flies-meet-mcelwain/19795525/

Plus, Chip's Show-cause is still active this month (ends on Xmas Day) and reportedly the NCAA violations regarding practice which RichRod earned at Michigan was the reason he was not a serious candidate for Florida.

Hey now. At least we're a bowl team and don't wear candy cane-inspired helmets. And our defense is good!

Alabama and TCU have won close games as well. They haven't been in as many close games as FSU, but they've still been in them. Bama lost to Ole Miss, who got destroyed by an SEC bottom-feeder of Arkansas. Let's not forget how close Bama was to losing to Arkansas. I know Bama plays more quality opponents, but hey, Bama ain't still undefeated. Neither is Oregon. Or TCU. Or Ohio State. Or Baylor. And the list goes on and on and on.

Just not as many, against better teams. Please tell me you have plans to move to either Florida or Pennsylvania once you get out of college. Your SEC "bottom feeder" Arkansas would've contended in the East this season and is going to a bowl game, and have the same or better records than Syracuse, Wake Forest, Oklahoma State, Miami, and Virginia. And FSU was also bailed out of a loss to a team that has lost to Northwestern and USC by 35.

Alabama am not still undefeated, seriously?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain%27t "is not"

Arkansas would've finished mid-pack in the East. Arkansas has improved greatly, but they had to rely on a weak non-conference schedule (including a winless FCS school) to become bowl eligible. If J.W. Walsh would have still been playing throughout the season (as he was in the FSU game) then who knows how Oklahoma State could have done. I even stated that Alabama hasn't been in as many close games as FSU, but they've still had some tight ones. If you want to bring up the records game and the "who lost to who" game, then there are cases for FSU as well. Claims could also be used against TCU, who had to rely on an interception to beat Oklahoma, choked against Baylor, beat WVU by a point (a team that Bama also struggled with), and of course, the famous close game against Kansas.

Former assistant under Urban Meyer... seems like it would be a good fit to me, and I'm sure Florida would have more than enough cash (along with the prestige of Florida and all) to lure him away from Starksville.

Not happening. Him and Foley don't get along at all. They would've hired him four years ago if they wanted him. If Mullen goes anywhere (high doubtful), it would be to Michigan, which, as I said earlier, only happens if they hire Greg Byrne as AD.

Not happening. Him and Foley don't get along at all. They would've hired him four years ago if they wanted him. If Mullen goes anywhere (high doubtful), it would be to Michigan, which, as I said earlier, only happens if they hire Greg Byrne as AD.
Michigan interim AD, Jim Hackett has an "indefinite" contract with the school. As the retired CEO of Steelcase, he has nothing else to but this and sit on the Boards of Ford, Fifth-Third Bank and Northwestern Mutual.

He will end up keeping that job because by nature, he has got to manage things and he also played there. He would make the third former Schembechler player to be AD in their last four hires. It will be a power/ego trip which he can talk about quarterly with those corporate boards.

But Florida AD is in Ft. Collins tonight meeting with CSU coach Jim McElwain and negotiating a reduced buyout with the CSU President.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2014/12/02/report-florida-ad-flies-meet-mcelwain/19795525/

Plus, Chip's Show-cause is still active this month (ends on Xmas Day) and reportedly the NCAA violations regarding practice which RichRod earned at Michigan was the reason he was not a serious candidate for Florida.

One thing Muschamp did really well was clean up the program and Foley seems pretty intent on keeping it that way.

It sure seems like McElwain is going to be the guy, and it's said they'd like to keep some of the current staff, like the defensive coordinator Durkin. That seems like a must since he's a good recruiter and McElwain and his staff have more West Coast roots.

In regards to Michigan, I don't follow the program that closely but is that a case of the school/fan base wanting a "Michigan man" too much or is my perception off?

IUe6Hvh.png

One thing Muschamp did really well was clean up the program and Foley seems pretty intent on keeping it that way.

It sure seems like McElwain is going to be the guy, and it's said they'd like to keep some of the current staff, like the defensive coordinator Durkin. That seems like a must since he's a good recruiter and McElwain and his staff have more West Coast roots.

In regards to Michigan, I don't follow the program that closely but is that a case of the school/fan base wanting a "Michigan man" too much or is my perception off?

From living in Ann Arbor from 91-96 and still know three members of the UM athletic department who did not attend the school...

There is still an attachment to an era was not as successful as they think, plus there was an additional 15 years in which Bo Schembechler's youngest kid, "Schemmy" was kept around with a token job. The majority of the older fanbase (45+) wants Jim Harbaugh. However...

1-They haven't really watched the 49ers the last four years in how their offensive output had decreased year after year with THAT offensive line. They kick more FGs every season and in NCAA football, you cannot trust your kicker as much. They want Harbaugh, but not Greg Roman, his OC. DC Vic Fangio leaving with him to join the staff is another issue.

2- Most Michigan fans do not really his issues with Jed York and Trent Balke at SF, or his issues at Stanford with AD Bob Bowlsby (now Big XII Commissioner). Search "Harbaugh + Stanford bathroom".

3- The fans are too hung up on Midwest recruiting base when the Rust Belt population is falling.

*-In retrospect, I should've started a coaching changes thread when Weis was fired by Kansas or when June Jones quit SMU.

"I want to get rid of the word 'Michigan Man'" -Jim Hackett at today's press conference

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I know Greg Byrne hired Dan Mullen at Miss State, but can you explain what you mean?

Speaking by Byrne, he hired Dan Mullen and Rich Rod (Pac-12 coach of the year!). That's a very impressive track record.

"I want to get rid of the word 'Michigan Man'" -Jim Hackett at today's press conference

Hackett essentially put an end to that post-Bill Frieder comment and the mess it caused for a 15 second video clip. It was overly emotional and somewhat arrogant at the time and became as even more arrogant over the years. Kudos to him since he played there under Schembechler.

Hackett realized that RichRod was negatively impacted by that term, especially with Lloyd Carr still having an office in the building. He wants to change the "mood in the room", and he is right. Fred Jackson is the last Carr assistant who was kept by both RichRod and Hoke. He is 64 and should just move on after 20+ years.

Archived