2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else think this "will the playoff committee leave out Ohio State because of Barrett's injury" talk is nonsense? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pimping for my team here (the Buckeyes season probably all but ended when Barrett went down - not to mention, the Buckeyes still need to beat Wisconsin before we can even talk playoff), I just think punishing a team because of an injury is silly.

It's like saying "well, Alabama is #1 but they lost Amari Cooper to injury so we can't put them in the playoff." Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but I think that is some serious BS. It's not like the NFL is going to replace the Patriots in the playoffs if Tom Brady gets hurt. If a team has earned playoff consideration, one injury shouldn't cost that team it's shot at a playoff slot.

BB52Big.jpg

The most idiotic ad/fan base just fired there second coach in a decade after a 9-3 year?? Have fun going 8-4, 7-5 or 6-6 for the next decade.!

Signed,

A die-hard Kansas St fan

Going with 9 wins every year sounds really nice. But then it gets really old. You'll never win more than 9 you'll never win less than 9. Just 9 wins. Never Good. Never great. If you want to be good. You gotta can the coach. He gets 9 wins over mostly mediocre teams. But when he lost. Oh baby he got frogging demolished. Every fn year. No 10 win years. No 8 win years. 9 wins.

Before I go I'll leave you with the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Scott Frost to the Rescue.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The most idiotic ad/fan base just fired there second coach in a decade after a 9-3 year?? Have fun going 8-4, 7-5 or 6-6 for the next decade.!

Signed,

A die-hard Kansas St fan

Going with 9 wins every year sounds really nice. But then it gets really old. You'll never win more than 9 you'll never win less than 9. Just 9 wins. Never Good. Never great. If you want to be good. You gotta can the coach. He gets 9 wins over mostly mediocre teams. But when he lost. Oh baby he got frogging demolished. Every fn year. No 10 win years. No 8 win years. 9 wins.

Before I go I'll leave you with the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Scott Frost to the Rescue.

Yea but just about any other program would kill to have 9 wins every year, and the fact that this is the second time they fired a coach after 9 wins in less then a decade, maybe it's not the coach but the ad/boosters fault?

Does anyone else think this "will the playoff committee leave out Ohio State because of Barrett's injury" talk is nonsense? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pimping for my team here (the Buckeyes season probably all but ended when Barrett went down - not to mention, the Buckeyes still need to beat Wisconsin before we can even talk playoff), I just think punishing a team because of an injury is silly.

It's like saying "well, Alabama is #1 but they lost Amari Cooper to injury so we can't put them in the playoff." Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but I think that is some serious BS. It's not like the NFL is going to replace the Patriots in the playoffs if Tom Brady gets hurt. If a team has earned playoff consideration, one injury shouldn't cost that team it's shot at a playoff slot.

You kinda touch on it there already, but if Ohio State really isn't a playoff-calibre team anymore, then losing to Wisconsin would take care of that. If they were to beat Wisconsin with their third-string QB, that would just prove even more that they ARE CFB-playoff worthy.

But, yes, the idea that Ohio State should drop because they are now without Barrett is complete rubbish. They deserve credit for what they have done; they don't deserve to be penalized for what is likely to come, but, as of yet, has not happened yet.

spacer.png

You kinda touch on it there already, but if Ohio State really isn't a playoff-calibre team anymore, then losing to Wisconsin would take care of that. If they were to beat Wisconsin with their third-string QB, that would just prove even more that they ARE CFB-playoff worthy.

But, yes, the idea that Ohio State should drop because they are now without Barrett is complete rubbish. They deserve credit for what they have done; they don't deserve to be penalized for what is likely to come, but, as of yet, has not happened yet.

I feel like if Ohio State beats Wisconsin, they should get in. But I don't think they should be punished at all until we see what the new QB can do against Wisconsin. Who knows, maybe he'll do just as well as Barrett. But the committee should just focus on how they've played thus far instead of worrying about the future.

Signed,

A die-hard Kansas St fan

I'm not sure if hiring Frost would be the best decision for Nebraska. The last time Nebraska hired a successful coordinator, well, was when they hired Pelini. I know people here really want to see Frost lead the team, but 1.) He might not even leave Oregon; and 2.) Nebraska might want to hire someone with more head coaching experience. I know 9-win seasons are really repetitive, but Nebraska was a conference contender nearly every season. I think the university is trying to hard to find the next Tom Osborne right away, rather than trying to solidly build a program.

It's comical to see people say that FSU got lucky again. Lucky isn't a weekly thing. And you obviously didn't pay attention to the defense this week. The unit has struggled mightily this season but they shut down a UF offense that had a new confidence (however misplaced it was) and forced UF to not live on big plays. UF got a few big plays but not enough to win because you can't rely solely on home run balls and win.

There were no lucky bounces, just a defense overcoming being put in terrible spots all night long. The best quarterback in college ball had his worst game of his career and FSU still won.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

It's comical to see people say that FSU got lucky again. Lucky isn't a weekly thing. And you obviously didn't pay attention to the defense this week. The unit has struggled mightily this season but they shut down a UF offense that had a new confidence (however misplaced it was) and forced UF to not live on big plays. UF got a few big plays but not enough to win because you can't rely solely on home run balls and win.

There were no lucky bounces, just a defense overcoming being put in terrible spots all night long. The best quarterback in college ball had his worst game of his career and FSU still won.

Thank you! I hate seeing people say that Winston sucks, when this was just his worst game of his career. He just made some bad throws this game. Blake Sims did the same thing yesterday. Winston is one of the most accurate passers int he nation, and even with an ankle injury, he can still work with his feet. The defense played outstanding yesterday. With three INTs in the first quarter, all of which led to great field position for UF, you'd think they could capitalize on offense, but the defense was able to stop the momentum and only let UF leave the field with a field goal after each drive. The offense started to click in the 2nd quarter, but their drive to end the first half was bad play-calling, and there was some bad play-calling in the second half as well. Some people just don't understand that you can't run side-to-side on the SEC. But O'Leary made some big plays and even with Williams hurt, FSU was able to find a nice run game in Dalvin Cook.

Nebraska fires Pelini. ESPN store here. This really makes me upset.

You hate Nebraska, yet this upsets you? o_0
I liked him as a coach. He was passionate (sometimes excessively, yes) and he won football games.

Nebraska fires Pelini. ESPN store here. This really makes me upset. I actually liked Pelini, and I wouldn't blame him for all the struggles. Really curious as to who Nebraska tries to pick up. They'll most likely go for Scott Frost, or at least everyone around here thinks so.

Who would you blame then? In college football it almost always comes back to the head coach.

Some of their wins were luck, some of their losses were luck. I know they played some easy schedules and got steamrolled in some big games, but they've been conference contenders nearly every season.
Nebraska usually has at least power 5 non-con foe. And they're not responsible for the (in)competence of their division.

The playoff committee is looking at TV and competitive games, though. Ohio State right now is basically a lock to get blown out of the water in a playoff game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Signed,

A die-hard Kansas St fan

Yea but just about any other program would kill to have 9 wins every year, and the fact that this is the second time they fired a coach after 9 wins in less then a decade, maybe it's not the coach but the ad/boosters fault?

Solich was actually fired 11 years ago.

It sounds like both parties were tired with each other. Presumably Nebraska's AD also has a replacement already lined up.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nebraska fires Pelini. ESPN store here. This really makes me upset. I actually liked Pelini, and I wouldn't blame him for all the struggles. Really curious as to who Nebraska tries to pick up. They'll most likely go for Scott Frost, or at least everyone around here thinks so.

Although he's a former Cornhusker, I can't see them going for a guy who's only been an OC for 2 seasons as a HC. I think they'll likely find someone who has a little more experience.

The playoff committee is looking at TV and competitive games, though. Ohio State right now is basically a lock to get blown out of the water in a playoff game.

They are kinda stuck with this. In college football, where plenty of potentially-deserving teams will not get in, these kinds of choices have to be made. If OSU/TCU/Baylor/etc. are viewed has having roughly equal bodies of work, then OSU is probably at a disadvantage having lost a Heisman candidate. I think their best chance is to win convincingly on Saturday with really good play out of the QB. Wisconsin has one of the best defenses in the country and a good game from the QB would probably help with the perception of their ability to compete with the top 4.

This happens in basketball too; they seed 'em on their ability to win the tournament, not body of work. They tend to get in/not get in on body of work. I don't really like that seeding philosophy but it's less important when anyone that's even a fringe title contender gets in. Unfortunately, when talking about four teams this has to probably factor in.

OSU is probably fortunate to have a conference championship game. They can showcase their new QB and if he looks good, they'll be harder to dismiss.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Although he's a former Cornhusker, I can't see them going for a guy who's only been an OC for 2 seasons as a HC. I think they'll likely find someone who has a little more experience.

That's exactly what I was thinking. But Scott Frost has been pretty big talk around here, from what I've heard.

Pelini's firing was conducted more humanely than what Bear Bryant, Jr. and the U of A board of trustees are about to do to the UAB football program:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI/status/539149084297134080

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

You know, most university systems would be happy to have multiple member schools go bowling.

:censored: Alabama.

Today, we are all otaku.

You know, most university systems would be happy to have multiple member schools go bowling.

Yea I get the feeling this might blow up in there face...

How? Can those who want to sustain the program really afford to litigate for years?

In essence, they are just following the Nebraska gameplan to end UNO football.

How? Can those who want to sustain the program really afford to litigate for years?

But uno was div 2 with no tv deals and such, and if I remember right it did not go over all to well. Bowls, tv revenue with that, with no football they loose that right? If they scrapp football will they still have a enough income to keep any sports afloat and be competitive as well? And most likely they get the boot from cusa as well....

Well, I don't think they got lucky, but they did get get played evenly by a poorly coached Gators team that has made giving away football games an art form this year. There was a number of times they got very lucky this year, though. And really, shutting down the Gators offense is not impressive in the slightest bit. It's an offense that's, at it's absolute best, one dimensional, and at it's worst, probably the worst I've ever seen.

IUe6Hvh.png

If they scrapp football will they still have a enough income to keep any sports afloat and be competitive as well? And most likely they get the boot from cusa as well....
You realize that they are heavily subsidized by both the university directly and by student fees, right? They barely make $100k per home game at crappy Legion Field.

Direct university and fees support to the tune of 64%!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/uab_athletic_subsidies_from_un.html

Student fees had increased 86% since 2006.

Archived