Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

I'll be honest, I don't hate them. That clawed out ball logo though....

Edit- No Toronto on the away ??

They haven't worn "Toronto" on their roads in over a decade, I think.
Wasn't it some BS reason about wanting to appeal to all of Canada? Same reason why they dropped purple and made red the primary color.

Of course, they've kept Toronto in their name, and regularly give away shirts that say things like "T.O." and "The 6." They won't wear the city name on their uniforms but apparently don't mind selling merchandise with the city name all over it. Talk about a confused branding strategy.

Meanwhile, embracing Toronto hasn't stopped the Blue Jays from having fans all over the country.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish people weren't so down on the Drake colors. The Raptors need a color scheme they can own, whether that's Maple Leaf blue and white (my preference), purple and red (not averse), or black and gold (I can deal), but red and black belongs to the Bulls and the greatest player of all time, and to a lesser extent the Trail Blazers.

I agree completely. Blue and white would look great for the Raptors. It's not really worn by any other team, and it fits with Toronto.

I'm also in favour of them switching their logo to a Snowy Owl. It's still a raptor. It feels a bit more mature/professional than the terribly 90s dinosaur theme, and it fits a lot better for the whole "We The North"/"Canada's Team" identity they're trying to promote.

Also works with Drake's branding, since they insist on working him in.

I'll be honest, I don't hate them. That clawed out ball logo though....

Edit- No Toronto on the away ??

They haven't worn "Toronto" on their roads in over a decade, I think.
Wasn't it some BS reason about wanting to appeal to all of Canada? Same reason why they dropped purple and made red the primary color.

Of course, they've kept Toronto in their name, and regularly give away shirts that say things like "T.O." and "The 6." They won't wear the city name on their uniforms but apparently don't mind selling merchandise with the city name all over it. Talk about a confused branding strategy.

Meanwhile, embracing Toronto hasn't stopped the Blue Jays from having fans all over the country.

The blue jays have a large following all over the country because they're promoted like no other. All of Canada is considered the Blue Jays market. And while yes they are the country's most popular team, they're also the most hated team at the same time.

I wish people weren't so down on the Drake colors. The Raptors need a color scheme they can own, whether that's Maple Leaf blue and white (my preference), purple and red (not averse), or black and gold (I can deal), but red and black belongs to the Bulls and the greatest player of all time, and to a lesser extent the Trail Blazers.

I think that's part of the reason people are down on the Drake jerseys. The Raptors aren't changing their colors to black and gold. Their color scheme is still black, red, and silver. So why have a black and gold jersey? It's simply to shill for your "ambassador."

The gold looks solid, it's their execution that's lacking. The set looks so plain & uninspired.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Just looked through the latest Adidas catalog and it seems every single Raptors t-shirt is using the black/gold color combo rather than red. Looks like they are going to focus on the gold for most merchandise

Just looked through the latest Adidas catalog and it seems every single Raptors t-shirt is using the black/gold color combo rather than red. Looks like they are going to focus on the gold for most merchandise

Good catch. .sorta wished they went all in and changed the colors to red purple with gold as a trim or 3rd color. It could have work.
shado_logo.gif

What would you guys think if they had gone with something more like this for the new logo? I always loved the little triangles they used to spell out Toronto and wanted to find a way to keep it.

rapslogo.png

(I admittedly had no idea what to put on the bottom. I was between "basketball", "Canada", and the "Established" date.)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

^That would look much better if it wasn't a roundel, and you just kept the "Toronto Raptors" arch over the ball without any additional layers below.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

What would you guys think if they had gone with something more like this for the new logo? I always loved the little triangles they used to spell out Toronto and wanted to find a way to keep it.

rapslogo.png

(I admittedly had no idea what to put on the bottom. I was between "basketball", "Canada", and the "Established" date.)

That's actually better that the Drake crap they made. But, the bottom seems off. Great Idea though.

Sorry guys not a fan of those concepts. I feel like it's impossible to make that logo look pretty.

Sorry guys not a fan of those concepts. I feel like it's impossible to make that logo look pretty.

Agreed. You're just putting lipstick on a pig.

The new logo is just EXTREMELY underwhelming. But, I'll save my overall opinion once I see the jerseys.

But, at least it's not as bad as the new Clips' stuff, right?

Agreed. You're just putting lipstick on a pig.

The new logo is just EXTREMELY underwhelming. But, I'll save my overall opinion once I see the jerseys.

But, at least it's not as bad as the new Clips' stuff, right?

lipstick-pig.jpg
shado_logo.gif

Thanks guys. It was just an idea I had in my head that I wanted to put out there. I thought it'd look better to keep some of the character and charm from the old logo if they insisted on going away from the dino imagery. I agree in that either way it's still a downgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEsTXVj57M

I tried. :blush:

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Of everything said about the Raptors new logo, I have to say it could work..if they paid attention to detail a little more. For me, the biggest flaw of it is the "E" that can't help but push towards the eye. Being a designer myself, I always try to see significance in little details and symbols. For God's sake, there is an "E" that could be the focal point of the logo...If they were located in say, El Paso or Euclid, or wherever that starts with an E I could live with it. The fact that the designer's goal was to create a claw mark trail is fine, but it's illogical when the letter "E" comes from it and you don't even care. Man 1: "Hey that's a great claw mark on that ball, but it kinda looks like the letter E man." Designer: "Well you're right, but it isn't supposed to be the letter E." Man 1: "Well don't you think it matters if there's a letter E in the logo?" Designer: "Nah, I don't think it matters, I'm trying to show a claw mark, not the letter E." This dialogue could go on forever. What it comes down to is Man 1 is right and the Designer is wrong. Never create something with an intention, then disregard what you ACTUALLY made for respect to your intention. Horrible logo, which will forever be known to me as: Toronto Raptors E logo. A good reference to my argument is this clip from Everybody Loves Raymond:

https://youtu.be/jpppJ5ecnW8

Of everything said about the Raptors new logo, I have to say it could work..if they paid attention to detail a little more. For me, the biggest flaw of it is the "E" that can't help but push towards the eye. Being a designer myself, I always try to see significance in little details and symbols. For God's sake, there is an "E" that could be the focal point of the logo...If they were located in say, El Paso or Euclid, or wherever that starts with an E I could live with it. The fact that the designer's goal was to create a claw mark trail is fine, but it's illogical when the letter "E" comes from it and you don't even care. Man 1: "Hey that's a great claw mark on that ball, but it kinda looks like the letter E man." Designer: "Well you're right, but it isn't supposed to be the letter E." Man 1: "Well don't you think it matters if there's a letter E in the logo?" Designer: "Nah, I don't think it matters, I'm trying to show a claw mark, not the letter E." This dialogue could go on forever. What it comes down to is Man 1 is right and the Designer is wrong. Never create something with an intention, then disregard what you ACTUALLY made for respect to your intention. Horrible logo, which will forever be known to me as: Toronto Raptors E logo. A good reference to my argument is this clip from Everybody Loves Raymond:

https://youtu.be/jpppJ5ecnW8

i guess it kind of shows an E but either way with a 3 finger claw, it is going to say M, E, or W, unless the claw is on the right pointing to the center which wouldnt look right, tbh a majority of the fans havent noticed it yet, and even so due to the fact that there isnt anything significant going on with the letter will never notice it.

I agree completely. Blue and white would look great for the Raptors. It's not really worn by any other team, and it fits with Toronto.

I'm also in favour of them switching their logo to a Snowy Owl. It's still a raptor. It feels a bit more mature/professional than the terribly 90s dinosaur theme, and it fits a lot better for the whole "We The North"/"Canada's Team" identity they're trying to promote.

Also works with Drake's branding, since they insist on working him in.

Hey, dynamite idea. An owl in blue and white would look pretty cool. I'd even be fine with no raptors of any sort and just using the Toronto skyline.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived