The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

CLAW

Well there you have it.

CBm-AbiUMAACrjZ.jpg

Here is the Condors website article: http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/condors-unveil-new-logo-for-ahl-in-2015-16/

7058539d-8944-4c4a-813c-ded9e8db6397.jpg

Are condors really that ugly? It looks like a vulture.

Yes they really are...

640px-Gymnogyps_californianus_-San_Diego

Strangely the color change seems to have gone from too tan to be a real condor to too orange. Reality is in between both versions of the logo.

445px-Bakersfield_Condors_logo.svg.png

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-The Gulls logo is awesome. It's a perfect update of the original.

-Bakersfield is an inferior recolor of the old one.

-Ontario is a lame ripoff of a logo that should be left in the past.

-Stockton is pretty lousy, that flame absolutely sucks.

-San Jose is just plain terrible.

Condors is fine, I get the color scheme tying in with the parent club

Stockton looks like a pilot light

San Diego's gull looks like it just suffered head trauma, but I get the nostalgia factor.

"Ontario Reign" sounds like a team in the Lingerie Football League

San Jose Barracuda is a cheap corporate shill for a team name that has a lot of potential.

-The Gulls logo is awesome. It's a perfect update of the original.

-Bakersfield is an inferior recolor of the old one.

-Ontario is a lame ripoff of a logo that should be left in the past.

-Stockton is pretty lousy, that flame absolutely sucks.

-San Jose is just plain terrible.

One thing I do have to give 4 of them is that they tie into the parent club thematically without being copy cat about it.

San Diego Gulls - Anaheim Ducks - Both aquatic fowl, both have similar color schemes.

Stockton Heat - Calgary Flames - Both fire related names, both have the red and yellow.

San Jose Barracuda - San Jose Sharks - Both predatory fish, both have same color basic color scheme.

Ontario Reign - LA Kings - Both monarchy related themes, both have the predominantly black color scheme.

And even Condors while thematically having nothing to do with Oil, do at least share the color scheme.

Condors- winner

Gulls- like that they brought back the classic Gull look, but woulda been better if they didn't make the subtle changes

Reign- love that they went classic Kings

Heat- coulda been much worse

Barracuda- fail

Your comment on SD also brings up another good point. Before and after since many of these identities are reuses of older ones.

San Diego Gulls (Before WCHL/ECHL) - (After AHL)

SanDiegoGulls.png231px-SanDiegoGullsAHL.png

Ontario Reign (Before ECHL) - (After AHL)

292px-Ontario_Reign_Logo.svg.png240px-OntarioReignAHL.png

Bakersfield Condors (before ECHL) - (after AHL)

222px-Bakersfield_Condors_logo.svg.png260px-Bako_Condors.png

Definitely feel like the Reign were a complete downgrade. They had their own unique color scheme and the shield was very well done with the kind of medieval look to it. Now they look somewhat like a King's cast off logo which is essentially what they are.

The Condors logo definitely feels less cluttered without the roundel behind it and given that theirs is the one logo in the Pacific that doesn't thematically tie into their parent club I'll give them a pass on the color change as necessary for cohesion. Do wish they had kept Bakersfield in the logo somewhere though.

With the Gulls, I actually really like the AHL changes, reduced the angular nature of the old logo a bit and I like the new word mark with the negative space bird. And adding some whites to the eye of the Gull actually make it look more like an actual seagull which actually do have whites in their eyes regularly visible.

So here's your complete AHL Pacific Division everyone...

260px-Bako_Condors.png240px-StocktonHeat.png231px-SanDiegoGullsAHL.png240px-OntarioReignAHL.png200px-SanJoseBarracuda.png

Overall opinions, thoughts, feelings? Winners, losers, abominations?

Bakersfield - Too busy for me but not horrible and an upgrade over the old one for sure.

Stockton - Inoffensive but uninspired...I feel like the flame could have been incoporated into the better "S" somehow. Right now there is no flow and it looks like it is just slapped over it and completed with an ultra-boring roundel. Continues the legacy of mediocre, boring Calgary AHL logos...

San Diego - Upgrade and a great minor league logo...hits the right notes...not overly rendered. The gull head sometimes looks like it is floating in black space when I look too hard but a minor quibble.

Ontario - A total snoozer and like many I wonder why the couldn't have just kept the a recolored version of the prior logo? Makes the Stockton logo look like a revelation.

San Jose - Words cannot describe. Early front runner for worst new logo of the year not created by a 12 year-old in MS Word. Corporate tie-in simply the icing on this poop cake.

So here's your complete AHL Pacific Division everyone...

260px-Bako_Condors.png240px-StocktonHeat.png231px-SanDiegoGullsAHL.png240px-OntarioReignAHL.png200px-SanJoseBarracuda.png

Overall opinions, thoughts, feelings? Winners, losers, abominations?

San Jose - Absolutely one of the worst cases of corporate pandering I've ever seen. The more I've thought about it, the more disgusted I am with this kind of ad intrusion into sports. And the crappy logo and jersey just ads insult to the injury. And to come from my favorite NHL team's organization makes this just personally offensive.

Ontario Reign - I'll echo what others have said and what I said when comparing it to the ECHL logo... they should have just recolored the old logo. This Kings cast off is just kind of "meh"

Stockton - Not offensive, not great. Middling logo that would have been better had the S been more prominent and had the Flame looked more like a flame.

Bakersfield - The more I've looked at it, the more I like the updates. The coloring makes sense and I actually think it's an improvement over the maroon, the logo itself feels less cluttered without the roundel. Only change I wish they'd made was the "CONDORS". It's not my favorite font. Decent particularly for the minors.

San Diego - Other than the floating head, which can be mistaken by some for an eagle (until you actually put it next to a picture of an eagle), it's a good logo. Took the decent ECHL one and made it better with every change. The new word mark is "slick" without being too over done. The negative space bird is a nice touch. Only change I'd have made to it would be a space between the LL's in Gulls.

From my early, non scientific research of the Barracuda release, most people hate the name and are not too hot on the logo

I could probably understand why. If it there no corporate tie-in bullcrap involved, the name wouldn't be a bad idea and there might be a better logo.

Instead, you get this. I like the name, but I wish it wasn't a corporate tie-in.

Looking at the Gulls logo I was thinking that it looks like a human hand holding a hockey stick is about to whack a giat gull in the head... but I figured "nostalgia."

But then bosrs1 posted the side-by-side. The old one flows as part of the same bird so much better for me. In this case the consistent color and shading beats glove accuracy, IMO.

SanDiegoGulls.png231px-SanDiegoGullsAHL.png

Duck!

From my early, non scientific research of the Barracuda release, most people hate the name and are not too hot on the logo

I could probably understand why. If it there no corporate tie-in bullcrap involved, the name wouldn't be a bad idea and there might be a better logo.

Instead, you get this. I like the name, but I wish it wasn't a corporate tie-in.

Yeah if they hadn't been so damned blatant about it with both the name and the logo it wouldn't be as bad. It also wouldn't be as bad had they put the S on the name. Or if they hadn't made Barracuda Networks, redundantly, the "presenting sponsor" on the website and all their communications. Basically there's a laundry list of things they could have done that would have mitigated how bad it is to some extent... but they did just about everything wrong they possibly could.

Ya know it is possible to have an animal-themed nickname for a sports team and NOT actually have a logo with them holding a piece of that sports' equipment

Just saying.

Is it bad that I can't think of one off hand?

Ya know it is possible to have an animal-themed nickname for a sports team and NOT actually have a logo with them holding a piece of that sports' equipment

Just saying.

2147.gifhnvgfnlnyfhzdt0m0vx00ibgo.gif526378072015.giflty880yrmrra64y6tqfqmdnbf.gifgnnnrbxcmjhdgeu6mavqk3945.gify6oklqzigo1ver57oxlt60ee0.gif6701.gifcwuyv0w15ruuk34j9qnfuoif9.giff1wggq2k8ql88fe33jzhw641u.gif960.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Just saying.

2147.gifhnvgfnlnyfhzdt0m0vx00ibgo.gif526378072015.giflty880yrmrra64y6tqfqmdnbf.gifgnnnrbxcmjhdgeu6mavqk3945.gify6oklqzigo1ver57oxlt60ee0.gif6701.gifcwuyv0w15ruuk34j9qnfuoif9.giff1wggq2k8ql88fe33jzhw641u.gif960.gif

What sport does that elephant tusk one play?

Archived