The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

CLAW

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is the official 2015-16 alignment for the ECHL based on the moves by the AHL.

ECHL: http://www.echl.com/alignment-playoff-format-announced-for-2015-16-season-p196093

• East Division
    Adirondack, Elmira Jackals, Manchester, Norfolk, Reading Royals

B9GVnCfCYAAlhgw.png

And here is a possible re-alignment for the AHL that I found interesting: http://capitoldistrictislander.com/2015/01/30/ahl-realignment-and-the-charlotte-checkers/

ahl_2015_16_divisions.jpg?w=700

Obviously the Pacific division instead would be Stockton, Ontario, San Deigo, Bakersfield & San Jose.

I was hoping San Diego would be called the Skyhawks. That was their original WHL team before the Gulls.

5070f09147524.image.jpg

I think they were actually a Pacific Coast Hockey League team. The only WHL team San Diego ever had was the Gulls. That and the Skyhawks never played at the Sports Arena like the Gulls.

But I agree it might make for a fun throwback night. So would the Mariners come to think of it.

So here is the official 2015-16 alignment for the ECHL based on the moves by the AHL.

ECHL: http://www.echl.com/alignment-playoff-format-announced-for-2015-16-season-p196093

• East Division

B9GVnCfCYAAlhgw.png

That'll be an interesting division rivalry.

Manchester Monarchs vs Reading Royals.

Two teams who's current logos are roaring lions wearing crowns. Hell, Manchester was black and purple before too.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Two teams who's current logos are roaring lions wearing crowns. Hell, Manchester was black and purple before too.

Well, we've had two Admirals and two red and black, angry pig logo'd teams in the AHL. Guess it's not too out of the ordinary for the minor leagues :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Well, we've had two Admirals and two red and black, angry pig logo'd teams in the AHL. Guess it's not too out of the ordinary for the minor leagues :P

Yeah I'd be shocked if they don't carry on being the Monarchs. The folks in Manchester and Norfolk are going to want to make this as seemless as they can.

• East Division

B9GVnCfCYAAlhgw.png

And here is a possible re-alignment for the AHL that I found interesting: http://capitoldistrictislander.com/2015/01/30/ahl-realignment-and-the-charlotte-checkers/

Obviously the Pacific division instead would be Stockton, Ontario, San Deigo, Bakersfield & San Jose.

I'm not sure what the "right" answer is, but Toronto-Hamilton-Texas-San Antonio-Iowa is a horrible division.

(EDIT: Dang it Cosmic you beat me to the punch by less than a minute) It seems strange to have Toronto and Hamilton in the same division as Iowa, San Antonio, and Texas. I feel like it'd make more sense if a couple of teams switched with them from the North Division, though it's tough to think of whom. Rockford maybe? It's tough to figure out, but Toronto and Hamilton are just way too far from the others.

Also, I didn't realize until now that we won't have to worry about an Admirals-Admirals matchup anymore now that Norfolk is moving to the ECHL. That'll save some people frustration.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

• East Division

B9GVnCfCYAAlhgw.png

Reading started life as a Kings affiliate as well. Which explains everything there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it'd be best to have the AHL go to a 4 conference wildcard system like the NHL. If you could get the Texas teams to move to the Pacific Division, the rest writes itself.

Western Conference:

Bakersfield

Ontario

San Antonio

San Diego

San Jose

Stockton

Texas

Charlotte

Chicago

Grand Rapids

Iowa

Lake Erie

Milwaukee

Rockford

Eastern Conference:

Albany

Binghampton

Hamilton

Rochester

Syracuse

St. John's

Toronto

Utica

Bridgeport

Hartford

Hershey

Lehigh Valley

Portland

Providence

Springfield

Wilkes Barre

All the Canadian teams together, all the PA teams together, all the NY teams together, all the New England teams together.

I think it'd be best to have the AHL go to a 4 conference wildcard system like the NHL. If you could get the Texas teams to move to the Pacific Division, the rest writes itself.

Western Conference:

Bakersfield

Ontario

San Antonio

San Diego

San Jose

Stockton

Texas

Charlotte

Chicago

Grand Rapids

Iowa

Lake Erie

Milwaukee

Rockford

Eastern Conference:

Albany

Binghampton

Hamilton

Rochester

Syracuse

St. John's

Toronto

Utica

Bridgeport

Hartford

Hershey

Lehigh Valley

Portland

Providence

Springfield

Wilkes Barre

All the Canadian teams together, all the PA teams together, all the NY teams together, all the New England teams together.

while I hate the system, i would have to agree with this, especially if the unbalanced play remains the same.

makes a lot of travel sense, and would be best

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I was hoping San Diego would be called the Skyhawks. That was their original WHL team before the Gulls.

5070f09147524.image.jpg

I think they were actually a Pacific Coast Hockey League team. The only WHL team San Diego ever had was the Gulls. That and the Skyhawks never played at the Sports Arena like the Gulls.

It was the same league. The PCHL simply changed its name to the WHL after another league had merged into it. They even kept the same championship trophy.

Not unlike the BAA changing its name to the NBA after another league merged into it.

The Catch of the Day!

According to Icethetics, three of the AHL Pacific teams already have domain names registered.

If this is anything to go by, we'll be seeing the San Diego Gulls and Stockon Grizzlies next season, and we may or may not see the Bakersfield Oilers.

Well to be fair the Ducks also registered sandiegoadmirals.com. But I agree that taken with the leaks, and the fact the WSHL San Diego Gulls suddenly had all references to "Gulls" removed from their league website and twitted about an upcoming announcement it's a foregone conclusion the SD team will be the Gulls.

I kinda hope that the San Jose team is called the "Blades". I know its a lame name but back in 1990 when they had the name the team contest San Jose Blades was the winning entry. The Gund brothers preferred the runner up name of "Sharks" (thank God!) and went with that instead.

So it would be kinds cool if they honored that name the team contest by naming the club "Blades".

The only other time I remember this happening (where the owner didn't like the winning name) was in Washington. The winning entry was Washington Comets. But Abe Pollin preferred the runner up name of Capitals and used that instead.

The Catch of the Day!

According to Icethetics, three of the AHL Pacific teams already have domain names registered.

If this is anything to go by, we'll be seeing the San Diego Gulls and Stockon Grizzlies next season, and we may or may not see the Bakersfield Oilers.

Well to be fair the Ducks also registered sandiegoadmirals.com. But I agree that taken with the leaks, and the fact the WSHL San Diego Gulls suddenly had all references to "Gulls" removed from their league website and twitted about an upcoming announcement it's a foregone conclusion the SD team will be the Gulls.

It's official...the Jr. Gulls confirmed that they'll be the San Diego Sabers next season.

So, there goes the last roadblock to the AHL team being the Gulls.

bYhYmxh.png

Archived