The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

CLAW

Speaking of San Diego, I came across this little tidbit today. All uses of "Gulls" have been expunged from the WSHL databases for this year. Team is simply referred to as "San Diego."

JjY5FpH.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of San Diego, I came across this little tidbit today. All uses of "Gulls" have been expunged from the WSHL databases for this year. Team is simply referred to as "San Diego."

JjY5FpH.png

Well that's new isn't it. That would seem to support the idea that they're going to be the San Diego Gulls.

San Diego also posted this on their social media accounts today:

"The San Diego Gulls have some exciting news to share with our fans. Formal Press Release will be released next week. LETS GO GULLS!!!"

I can almost guarantee that's what it is.

I work with some people in the WSHL's Long Beach Bombers. I'll see if I can whip up some info.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Bakersfield has announced a name-the-team contest. No more Condors.

http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/name-the-bakersfield-ahl-team-contest/

Bring back the Fog! I wanna see this beautiful logo in use.*

7242_bakersfield_fog-primary-1996.png

*Not really. But seriously what's with the dripping blood letters? Is it that fog that turns people inside out?

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Stockton Grocers

San Diego Jazz Flutes

Ontario Canada

Bakersfield Cakes

San Jose Theodores

But in all seriousness I really hope these teams all have their own identities and don't just copy their parent clubs i.e. what Manchester did this year.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Condors, Barons, and even Oilers could all work for Bakersfield. I actually don't mind minor league clubs using their parent club's name as long as it's still relevant to where the minor league club is and can put their own spin on it, which is the case with Bakersfield.

Condors, Barons, and even Oilers could all work for Bakersfield. I actually don't mind minor league clubs using their parent club's name as long as it's still relevant to where the minor league club is and can put their own spin on it, which is the case with Bakersfield.

I'd love to see Wildcatters, even.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Stockton Grocers

San Diego Jazz Flutes

Ontario Canada

Bakersfield Cakes

San Jose Theodores

But in all seriousness I really hope these teams all have their own identities and don't just copy their parent clubs i.e. what Manchester did this year.

Don't know that the Monarchs were a straight copy. Though they were obvious in their affiliation which makes some sense. It makes more with their new proximity to their parent. But as it is we know Ontario will remain Reign, it seems clear San Diego will be Gulls, the question is still open on the other 3 but you can bet that San Jose at least will be pretty uninspired.

Bakersfield has announced a name-the-team contest. No more Condors.

http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/name-the-bakersfield-ahl-team-contest/

Bring back the Fog! I wanna see this beautiful logo in use.*

7242_bakersfield_fog-primary-1996.png

*Not really. But seriously what's with the dripping blood letters? Is it that fog that turns people inside out?

Considering that the logo was conceived by Mike Butters - best known as Paul Leahy of Saw, but who after a playing career in the minors was the Fog's GM and was later GM of the AHL Norfolk Admirals, it makes perfect sense to me.

Butters later ran the Helena Bighorns (AWHL/NAHL) and Queen City Cutthroats (NorPac). When the Cutties were first announced Butters punked the Helena media at the press conference by declaring the team would be called the Helena Handbaskets.

Archived