2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only positive thing I can really say about any of the jerseys is that the hem is straight, or at least appears to be straight.  

Team Europe's jersey is complete garbage.  I know it's a mixed team, but this isn't the late 90's/early 2000's when half and half jerseys were a thing and only for a couple of teams in the NBA.  The lack of hem stripes on some of the jerseys makes the bottom part of the jersey look so empty.  I know recycling is important, but for a jersey of a national team in a semi-important tournament; come on! Canada's logo is something I would find in a video game.   The black outline when there is no black on the jersey is out of place, even though I know they will probably go with black pants/helmet.

Finally, the 3 stripes were expected, but it doesn't mean that I got to like them.  

But, straight hem.  That's at least something.

i honestly prefer the jerseys Russia u18 wore when they were in the chl series last year. crest just looks better in my opinion. hey, ill take a usual jersey over what monstrosity could have resulted from some designer tinkering too much and trying to create a new identity. also, non jersey question, why is this series being contested with NHL rules? doesn't that put the North American teams at an advantage because non-nhl players and goalies aren't used to certain things such as trapezoids?

VE151117-15832157.jpg

49 minutes ago, Solaris said:

i honestly prefer the jerseys Russia u18 wore when they were in the chl series last year. crest just looks better in my opinion. hey, ill take a usual jersey over what monstrosity could have resulted from some designer tinkering too much and trying to create a new identity. also, non jersey question, why is this series being contested with NHL rules? doesn't that put the North American teams at an advantage because non-nhl players and goalies aren't used to certain things such as trapezoids?

It's an NHL tournament, not a true international one. The whole tournament is set up so that non-NHL players are almost not a thing (that's why they created the gimmicky made-up teams of junior North American NHLers and Euro odds and ends, instead of having Slovakia and Switzerland, which would consist of mostly non NHL players). Only two Czech players of all of those announced today are not in the NHL, and other than perhaps a few Russians and a handful from others teams, the rest are sure to be NHLers as well. All of the goalies are already selected (the top two at least), and they're all NHL players except for Connor Hellebuyck, who plays in the AHL. 

And since I didn't see this anywhere yet, the NHL posted this photo which shows the white USA jersey as well, which is slightly better. It will also put a tear in the eye of the people who were praising supposedly straight hemmed jerseys.

cut.jpg

7 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

I thought they were gonna debut the Maple Leafs jersey during the show. Is it coming at the end of the world cup modeling session? 

Why? The Leafs aren't going to unveil their jerseys for a while, let alone during a completely unrelated tournament that has nothing to do with the Maple Leafs (I know it's in Toronto)....

1 hour ago, timberwolf said:

Why? The Leafs aren't going to unveil their jerseys for a while, let alone during a completely unrelated tournament that has nothing to do with the Maple Leafs (I know it's in Toronto)....

I heard them mention it at the beginning of the world cup show. They also said they're going to model 9 jerseys. Who's 9?

11 minutes ago, vman said:

It's an NHL tournament, not a true international one. The whole tournament is set up so that non-NHL players are almost not a thing (that's why they created the gimmicky made-up teams of junior North American NHLers and Euro odds and ends, instead of having Slovakia and Switzerland, which would consist of mostly non NHL players). Only two Czech players of all of those announced today are not in the NHL, and other than perhaps a few Russians and a handful from others teams, the rest are sure to be NHLers as well. 

the only thing is that the same coach who coaches the russian national team is coaching the russian team for this tournament, unless they're the same team?

this whole thing is confusing from an organizational standpoint.

14 minutes ago, Solaris said:

the only thing is that the same coach who coaches the russian national team is coaching the russian team for this tournament, unless they're the same team?

this whole thing is confusing from an organizational standpoint.

The tournament has the full support of the national hockey federations, it's simply not an official IIHF sanctioned event. Because of other year-round international tournaments, European teams tend to have full time national team coaches, like Znarok for Russia, to lead their team wherever they're playing, whereas North America tends to only appoint coaches on a per-tournament basis.  

In other news (cause God knows I've posted enough in here already today so I don't want to make another separate post): Why does Team Canada seem to insist on having ugly collars? These are even worse than the regular Nike ones - I can't stand the red jerseys with the white trim that never meets, but rather gets cut off by the chest fabric à la the Edmonton Oilers' current monstrosities. It looks so beer league and cheap.

Just now, vman said:

The tournament has the full support of the national hockey federations, it's simply not an official IIHF sanctioned event. Because of other year-round international tournaments, European teams tend to have full time national team coaches, like Znarok for Russia, to lead their team wherever they're playing, whereas North America tends to only appoint coaches on a per-tournament basis.  

that's what I thought, and I already knew about the coaching thing.  So basically, its a NHL made Olympics (but not IIHF sanctioned) that follows standard NHL rules and consists of most normal teams except for the U23 NA team that consists of young players and the Rest of Europe team that mostly will be misc NHL players.

Now here's the real question. Will there be a fan vote?.

I'd just like to say that it really, truly bothers me that after years and years of wearing yellow home jerseys and blue road jerseys, Sweden is suddenly flip flopping. 

spacer.png

When I was in high school I had a sweater that was black with two gray stripes on the sleeves. It looked exactly like the U23 jersey. I don't think that means anything, but thought I'd share. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived