Ask A Moderator

8 minutes ago, LMU said:

Well, we were working on that but... the board software decided to job out and lose everything.  I sent Chris a list of all the missing links so HOPEFULLY we can recover everything.

I can't put into words how excited I'd be if this was true and the boards broke because someone acted on one of my harebrained satirical posts.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

In the interim, start thinking of a clever name for the D'Lo Brown appreciation thread. All I got is "You Betta' Recognize: The D'Lo Brown Appreciation Thread". 

"The Real Deal"

"The Man Behind The Chest Protector"

that's all I got

EDIT:  Name the new forum "The Party in Lisbon"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I can't put into words how excited I'd be if this was true and the boards broke because someone acted on one of my harebrained satirical posts.

DVyfRMe.gif

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

Wow.  I thought for sure you were joking - I didn't think in a million years you guys were actually doing it!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...

From the FAQ Thread:

13. I can't start a new topic, wtf?

As a method of reducing the amount of robo-spammers from popping up on the boards (as well as those who sign up just to make a request then vanish) we implemented a rule that prevented new members from starting a new topic; after you've made three (3) posts around the boards you are automatically allowed to start up a new topic.

Yet we get first time posters now who are able to start a topic. Naturally it's a request, so it gets moved to a place they can't see (Requests).

1 - Did the software glitch allowing a first time poster to start a topic?

2 - Why don't those just get deleted? Moving them defeats the purpose of not allowing them to make requests...

It's where I sit.

Can't answer #1 for you (maybe @LMU can assist?), however in regards to question 2, personally, I move them to "Requests" and lock them just for the sole fact that 1st-timers will make multiple threads in the same or multiple locations. My thought is that by moving it once (and subsequently showing that it's been moved) will prevent these "one and done" members from spamming the boards and going through the subsequent retaliation from some of the resistant members. 

However, you do bring up a good point about defeating the purpose of Requests. Maybe it's something to revamp/revisit...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Can't answer #1 for you (maybe @LMU can assist?), however in regards to question 2, personally, I move them to "Requests" and lock them just for the sole fact that 1st-timers will make multiple threads in the same or multiple locations. My thought is that by moving it once (and subsequently showing that it's been moved) will prevent these "one and done" members from spamming the boards and going through the subsequent retaliation from some of the resistant members. 

However, you do bring up a good point about defeating the purpose of Requests. Maybe it's something to revamp/revisit...

I follow your logic, but if they can't see that it's there...

Do they KNOW it's been moved?  It's a no win situation, I get it.

It's where I sit.

The minimum posts to start a new topic setting was changed around in the most recent board upgrade to make it a forum-by-forum permission setting.  That's been fixed.  New members will be listed as "previewing" and can't start a new topic until they have more than three posts. 

In terms of the requests, we're going to initiate a policy change where we'll lock the thread and inform the poster that they don't meet the post requirement (that's fully spelled out in the FAQ thread).

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

In regards to the autoposts beings created for news stories on the mothership, can we create a subforum in that forum to catch all of the news stories?  Unless its breaking news, theres likely already a thread on the boards for the subject and this would avoid duplication (ie. The Titans blue helmet story)

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

How do you upload an image from your desktop to a comment like this one because there is something that I would like to post for someone.

You can’t.

You need to upload the image to a 3rd party site like Imgur and paste the link to it here.

On 3/28/2018 at 4:19 PM, AstroBull21 said:

In regards to the autoposts beings created for news stories on the mothership, can we create a subforum in that forum to catch all of the news stories?  Unless its breaking news, theres likely already a thread on the boards for the subject and this would avoid duplication (ie. The Titans blue helmet story)

To be fair, it's only happened once so far, but regardless, this question as well as the similar ones posted in both Titans threads have been ignored by the mods.  Fear of upsetting the boss?

• Like 1

And we just got our answer. The news bot *sigh* “trumps” existing threads no matter how long they’ve been going. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

And we just got our answer. The news bot *sigh* “trumps” existing threads no matter how long they’ve been going. 

Yes, because the endless pages of Texans/Seahawks off-topic nonsense had nothing to do with that.

tumblr_oc7uulmTGM1vayxj5o1_500.gif

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yes, because the endless pages of Texans/Seahawks off-topic nonsense had nothing to do with that.

tumblr_oc7uulmTGM1vayxj5o1_500.gif

roll your eyes all you want, but the question was asked by at least 4 members, endorsed by at least 10 more (based on unique likes each time it was asked) and ignored, while usually duplicate topics are removed or merged instantly. 

EDIT: also, usually there's a mod warning in threads to get back on topic before being locked.  I don't recall that happening this time, though if I just missed it please correct me.

Awaiting another condescending respond from mods.

• Like 1

When a thread topic about the Tennessee Titans veers to other teams and poor taste pictures, is a warning really necessary? If people can’t stay on topic, that topic should close. My apologies if that bothers you. I would hope that members understand this reasoning.

• Like 2

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Isn't that the history, though, with "team making a change" threads?  There's always a down time when not much is happening and we start discussion another team, another sport, gray facemasks, etc.  Then news (or rumors) on the team in question comes about and it gets right back on track.  No question the photo was in poor taste...I was suprised that the thread was shut down as opposed to that being removed.

Whatever; I guess we'll talk about what the Titans do in the new thread.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

41 minutes ago, Jimmy! said:

When a thread topic about the Tennessee Titans veers to other teams and poor taste pictures, is a warning really necessary? If people can’t stay on topic, that topic should close. My apologies if that bothers you. I would hope that members understand this reasoning.

It's just not consistent, and several requests to merge the topics or clarify the rules (at least Gothamite, Astrobull, and I inquired, I'm sure there was at least one or two more) were ignored.

The look is that when the news bot posts something that it takes precedent over anything else, especially when days go by without responses (despite mods being otherwise normally active) and the old thread being shut down without warning.  I'm not sure how that's an unreasonable way to view things.

You want to shut down a thread for being off topic?  OK fine, mods can mod as they see fit, though I think simply axing a hundred page thread without warning is a little harsh.  

My apologies if asking for clarification regarding duplicate threads and questioning inconsistency bothers you.

• Like 1

The News Bot kinda confused me too when I first saw it, especially since we had the megathreads before.

Maybe @CC97 can give us an official answer, but is the news bot a way to direct some of the board traffic to the Mothership or something? That's the only reason I can see it taking precedence over the already-established megathreads.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

For what it's worth, I like the idea behind the NewsBot, and if it drives traffic and helps with the revenue needed to keep things going then that's great, it's just that in at least this one case (and I don't want to start a war over something that's happened only one time, so I hope this questioning isn't considered "Headlying" the mods) it was late and we were already going, and what was already going was killed under objectively questionable circumstances in favor of the SL.Net.  

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.