Ask A Moderator

I know this situation hits close to home for you and it does for me as well, considering I have several family members who served in the military. Though if I were a mod, I also probably would've merged that into the already existing thread. However, whatever mod that moved it should have left a note saying it was moved, because transparency is a good thing.

Transparency is great, but so is common sense. The boards would be a hot mess if we stopped to give a play by play on every little bit of clean up we did.

If you see one thread merged with another, similar, thread? You don't need us to explain why that happened.

Yeah, I didn't really make my point very well. What I meant to say was for the mod who moved the post to include that tag that is included when a mod edits a post, which says who it was edited by. That way, VictoriaGooner could PM that mod to clear things up, instead of having to take things here.

Oh, I think I'm going to enjoy the explanation of how I'm a racist pig.

Easy to explain by your views you expressed in International Football on stating that Serbia needs to be banned from European competitions due to their racist supporters. Even though there is a small select group of racists among the Serbian national team supporters group, you personally kept pushing your narrow mindedness and racist views on IanC and others who viewed those posts, that all Serbian are the same:

1. We're less than a generation removed from fairly widespread attempts on the part of Serbs to wage genocide upon several of their neighbors.

2. If there is any apparent sorrow on the part of the Serbs about point 1, its that they failed to achieve their goals.

3. Pretty much everytime you look, you see the Serb fans practicing some form of racial/ethnic intimidation.

You were told by IanC "you were wrong to accuse every person in Serbia who attends a football match to be a racist as you are doing. You are pigeonholing everyone to be the same and thats not true. You accusing everyone from a region to be all classed the same is unjust and utterly wrong because of a minority might be." Your comments are that of xenophobia coming straight out in your comments and that is stemmed from racist and discriminatory personal views.

You're making this more of an issue than it has to be. You're angry about your thread being moved, okay. But it's not an bullying problem or some sort of ethnocentric thing.

I am not making more of an issue than it has to be, I am just wanting an explanation from the moderator who did it. Nothing more!

This is really starting to feel like a bit. At least I hope it is, because it means there's genuinely a person out there who genuinely lives like this.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is really starting to feel like a bit. At least I hope it is, because it means there's genuinely a person out there who genuinely lives like this.

Unfortunately, I was not asking for your opinion on the matter CS85. This is not a bit. I just want answer to my question from the moderator. I feel passionate about this matter because of my profession and deserve an answer because it's disrespectful

Fax-Machine1.jpg

Wow...real mature!

You are demanding that a moderator drops everything he is doing on a Saturday night to give you a reply that you have already gotten twice over. You should drop it.

If I was the moderator who merged your redundant topic with the relevant one, I wouldn't give you an explanation out of spite.

Honestly, I don't think you're owed an explanation at all. Moderators moderate forum content. If they deem it to be put into a thread that is related to the tragic incident then it is within their right to do so. You don't have a right to post whatever you want whenever you want. The owner of this forum can restrict whatever is said through his proxies however he wishes to do so. They don't need to PM you to tell you why they can move or even delete content as they wish.

Easy to explain by your views you expressed in International Football on stating that Serbia needs to be banned from European competitions due to their racist supporters. Even though there is a small select group of racists among the Serbian national team supporters group, you personally kept pushing your narrow mindedness and racist views on IanC and others who viewed those posts, that all Serbian are the same:

1. We're less than a generation removed from fairly widespread attempts on the part of Serbs to wage genocide upon several of their neighbors.

2. If there is any apparent sorrow on the part of the Serbs about point 1, its that they failed to achieve their goals.

3. Pretty much everytime you look, you see the Serb fans practicing some form of racial/ethnic intimidation.

You were told by IanC "you were wrong to accuse every person in Serbia who attends a football match to be a racist as you are doing. You are pigeonholing everyone to be the same and thats not true. You accusing everyone from a region to be all classed the same is unjust and utterly wrong because of a minority might be." Your comments are that of xenophobia coming straight out in your comments and that is stemmed from racist and discriminatory personal view

So I'm racist for suggesting that the well-documented inability of Serbians, particularly Serbian soccer fans, to get along with non-Serbians is grounds for just simply banning Serbia from international play until such time as they can get along. I understand you love soccer. Soccer, particularly organized soccer and international competition, like all play and entertainment, is a privilege, not a right.

Tell you what, if you can present many examples of Serbian soccer fans who are actually sorrowful that their people tried to kill or re-locate millions of Croats, Bosniaks, and Albanians within our lifetimes and better yet, condemn the behavior of their ultra organizations, which, as is par for the course in Eastern Europe, are overrun/subborned by their country's political far right. In the case of Serbia said far right is hideously racist and has an obsession with the Field of the Blackbirds that even the staunchist Confederate apologist would consider "unhealthy".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ice_Cap: maybe you and the rest of the moderators should take a closer look at what is actually said in some of these threads and realize why people sometimes start new ones on the same subjects. Not just because they want to have their say, but because we are tired of hearing the same bull :censored: being said over and over again but the true story should be put front and center.

I understand that. It's why I went in and removed all discussion re: the gun control debate. It started before we even knew the identity of the shooter, much less how he obtained the firearm. I didn't want rampant uninformed speculation to turn into an argument that would eclipse the the actual events taking place. We do try to keep things on topic and nip problems that can derail a story and legitimate line of discussion in the bud when we think our involvement is needed.

And the center of this story is the sacrifice of a good man, a father and someone who believed in the country enough to join the Canadian Army Reserves and had aspirations to join the Regular Force Army.

I agree entirely. And I see no reason why we cannot honour his sacrifice as a community in the thread dedicated to the tragedy in which he lost his life.

I am just tired of people who control what is said and done on these boards (not pointing fingers at you Ice_Cap for this one as you have honesty talk to me on this topic even though you were not directly involved with it) don't have the balls to make a post or even PM people nowadays to say why they have decided on something.

As Mockba stated, we're tasked by the administration with the smooth running of the boards. That includes merging threads dedicated to the same topic. And Cpl. Cirillo's sacrifice fit the purview of an existing topic. Your post wasn't deleted or altered in any way. It was simply moved to an established thread where the majority of the user base would be looking for information regarding Ottawa shootings. Information that includes anything on the arrangements for, and honouring of, Cpl. Cirillo.

I understand that there is a knee-jerk reaction to seeing a topic you started suddenly gone with no explanation. A quick check in the Ottawa shootings thread would have cleared up what happened. Again, nothing was deleted or edited. Just moved for the sake of keeping the board running smoothly with as few duplicate threads as possible.

So I thank you again Ice_Cap for your honesty and candidness. But I think the moderator who moved my post should answer to me directly.

I'm sorry, but that's being unreasonable. The process that lead to merging your thread with an existing thread is no different then the process that leads to us merging two "Hey did you guys see the new Lightning alternate jerseys?" threads. We don't go around providing a play by play for that sort of stuff. It's standard message board maintenance.

Again, I understand the initial feeling of "what happened to my thread?" I really do. Trust me when I say that your thread was merged with another as a simple act of maintenance. Not out of any desire to censor you or control what is being discussed. No one needs to answer for anything.

Oh, I think I'm going to enjoy the explanation of how I'm a racist pig.

rams80 isn't wrong when he points out that eastern European supporters, particularly in the Balkans, have a long and notable track record of racist behaviour. Is it a majority? Well that's impossible to determine.

Either way I'm not comfortable calling a member a "racist pig" when the only thing he's done is to point out, and call for the shamming and shunning of, racists.

Ice_Cap: maybe you and the rest of the moderators should take a closer look at what is actually said in some of these threads and realize why people sometimes start new ones on the same subjects. Not just because they want to have their say, but because we are tired of hearing the same bull :censored: being said over and over again but the true story should be put front and center.

I understand that. It's why I went in and removed all discussion re: the gun control debate. It started before we even knew the identity of the shooter, much less how he obtained the firearm. I didn't want rampant uninformed speculation to turn into an argument that would eclipse the the actual events taking place. We do try to keep things on topic and nip problems that can derail a story and legitimate line of discussion in the bud when we think our involvement is needed.

And the center of this story is the sacrifice of a good man, a father and someone who believed in the country enough to join the Canadian Army Reserves and had aspirations to join the Regular Force Army.

I agree entirely. And I see no reason why we cannot honour his sacrifice as a community in the thread dedicated to the tragedy in which he lost his life.

I am just tired of people who control what is said and done on these boards (not pointing fingers at you Ice_Cap for this one as you have honesty talk to me on this topic even though you were not directly involved with it) don't have the balls to make a post or even PM people nowadays to say why they have decided on something.

As Mockba stated, we're tasked by the administration with the smooth running of the boards. That includes merging threads dedicated to the same topic. And Cpl. Cirillo's sacrifice fit the purview of an existing topic. Your post wasn't deleted or altered in any way. It was simply moved to an established thread where the majority of the user base would be looking for information regarding Ottawa shootings. Information that includes anything on the arrangements for, and honouring of, Cpl. Cirillo.

I understand that there is a knee-jerk reaction to seeing a topic you started suddenly gone with no explanation. A quick check in the Ottawa shootings thread would have cleared up what happened. Again, nothing was deleted or edited. Just moved for the sake of keeping the board running smoothly with as few duplicate threads as possible.

Actually that was the first place I looked was in the Ottawa Parliament Shootings thread and noticed buried. Yes I know it was not altered or deleted but that is not the point. Thanks Ice_Cap for the cleanup of that thread.

And for all the naysayers, maybe you would act the same way if you truly felt like I do with the death of Nathan Cirillo and trying to show a little humility and honor to him through a independent thread based on his funeral procession. Because here in Canada this doesn't happen much, losing a military member. We have a small military (55,000 total) and whenever we lose someone through killed in action (Afghanistan), suicides and now this act of cowardice (including Warrant Officer Vincent by a hit and run last weekend). But maybe down in the States everyone is so numb and oblivious to when it happens to your military members that it doesn't register anymore. But that is not my concern, my concern was wanting to tell people of the touching event of Friday.

And I give two :censored:s about ram80's views. Both ram80 and CS85 have now repeatably hijacked my thread posts (in numerous threads now pushing their own childish views. ram80 was already warned twice on this matter and to stop posting in threads that does not interest him just to start an argument. But as you can see the warning means :censored: on here. Same goes with CS85. All the warnings in the world will not change these bullies attitudes.

Warnings are supposed to be private. How do you know I was warned?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Actually that was the first place I looked was in the Ottawa Parliament Shootings thread and noticed buried. Yes I know it was not altered or deleted but that is not the point. Thanks Ice_Cap for the cleanup of that thread.

And for all the naysayers, maybe you would act the same way if you truly felt like I do with the death of Nathan Cirillo and trying to show a little humility and honor to him through a independent thread based on his funeral procession. Because here in Canada this doesn't happen much, losing a military member. We have a small military (55,000 total) and whenever we lose someone through killed in action (Afghanistan), suicides and now this act of cowardice (including Warrant Officer Vincent by a hit and run last weekend). But maybe down in the States everyone is so numb and oblivious to when it happens to your military members that it doesn't register anymore. But that is not my concern, my concern was wanting to tell people of the touching event of Friday.

And I give two :censored:s about ram80's views. Both ram80 and CS85 have now repeatably hijacked my thread posts (in numerous threads now pushing their own childish views. ram80 was already warned twice on this matter and to stop posting in threads that does not interest him just to start an argument. But as you can see the warning means :censored: on here. Same goes with CS85. All the warnings in the world will not change these bullies attitudes.

I'm sure the swine will be punished for his intolerant views.

• Like 1

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Warnings are supposed to be private. How do you know I was warned?

Only a really good speculation. With both times moderators had to get involved with your childish and hijacking remarks, they deleted your posts and posted in those threads stating the rules. Only really thought the moderators might have warned you on both those occasions. But I can see nothing has changed.

Warnings won't change anybody's attitude BECAUSE IT'S A FREAKING INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD ABOUT SPORTS LOGOS. Both sides here need to realize that.

VG, it looks bad because you're repeatedly moaning in here about something that happens to every post deemed unnecessary to have its own thread when there is a perfectly good thread for it. And to the internet thing, you're whining that an INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD isn't accepting your attempts at whatever you're doing, it's childish. Go do something that will matter to the family or your fellow personnel, donate or do whatever people have set up.

Everybody else just has to calm down about whatever the heck this is. Childish as well.

Not many people have had their ideals changed due to an internet fight. And nobody's going to remember this later.

IbjBaeE.png

Warnings won't change anybody's attitude BECAUSE IT'S A FREAKING INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD ABOUT SPORTS LOGOS. Both sides here need to realize that.

VG, it looks bad because you're repeatedly moaning in here about something that happens to every post deemed unnecessary to have its own thread when there is a perfectly good thread for it. And to the internet thing, you're whining that an INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD isn't accepting your attempts at whatever you're doing, it's childish. Go do something that will matter to the family or your fellow personnel, donate or do whatever people have set up.

Everybody else just has to calm down about whatever the heck this is. Childish as well.

Not many people have had their ideals changed due to an internet fight. And nobody's going to remember this later.

I have done alot since the tragedy on Tuesday in trying to make a small difference through the unit I belong to. And it's not childish when bullying keeps going on this board day after day. But most of these children on this board wouldn't have the balls to pull some of these stunts if they were in person.

The internet really just isn't the place for you. Have you tried newspapers or perhaps chain letters?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wouldn't a blog be more visible and by definition make more of a difference?

Today, we are all otaku.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.