North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as it pains me to say this: I hope they can too.

Not only good for MLS but good for the growth of the sport in Canada, if we can just get the non-hardcore fans to understand the competition.

I can't tell you how many people I've had to explain it to.

I would love nothing more than to see an MLS team march all the way to the FIFA Club WC, & a Canadian one even more.

One of the ways MLS can help its cause is to stop losing to Central American/Caribbean clubs when it matters. The same goes for Canada's MNT but that's another 20 pages for a different thread.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Well they are tearing down the Graphite Zone at 5 points

For condos. Which is what's happening to much of Long Island City.

Fifteen years ago, I thought it would make a great place for New Shea Stadium. Now, I wonder if it's too late to buy stadium land there. But perhaps there are enough auto shops and lumber yards in the northern section to make it still possible.

Oh coming from Jersey Citi Field at LIC would have been heaven. You know it takes me like 3 hours and 4 trains to get from NJ to see the Mets. Plus can you imagine the backdrop nothing would be more gorgeous.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The name and the logo are the only things right with the club currently. Remember, Nike wanted to brand the team "Chicago Rhythm", and give them a cobra for a logo with a black/orange/tealish color scheme. Now that's freaking '90s.

>shudder<

The heck does a cobra have to do with rhythm?
Nothing at all, other than it fit in perfectly with Nike's other MLS identities at the time - the cyber-scorpion of the San Jose Clash, the fire-breathing Pegasus of the Dallas Burn, and the techno-bat-thingy of the Tampa Bay Mutiny.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As for "Chicago Fire", the city seems to like the historical reference. So the name's fine. The logo is fine.

Is it? The team name is "Fire" but their logo set references firefighting. Always seemed a bit self-defeating. Like if the Milwaukee Brewers used a cartoon prohibitionist swinging a baseball bat as a logo.

Hey, what'd we do? :P

You guys? Nothing ;)

Yeah, there is some disconnect between the name and the logo. But it strikes me more as charming than a real problem.

Out of all the stupid names we've seen in MLS, "Chicago Fire" doesn't even make the list. It's a singular name, which is automatically awful, but other than that it's... fine.

Yeah, but the Chicago Fire Department is often simply referred to as "Chicago Fire", as in the popular NBC series I'll never bother watching, or as in "Chicago Fire crews are battling an extra-alarm blaze at a fire extinguisher factory on the city's southwest side," which is a thing that is actually occurring as I type this.

Plus, the team's pre-Quaker jerseys, red with a wide white band, were meant to mimic the design of a CFD engine.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The name and the logo are the only things right with the club currently. Remember, Nike wanted to brand the team "Chicago Rhythm", and give them a cobra for a logo with a black/orange/tealish color scheme. Now that's freaking '90s.

>shudder<

The heck does a cobra have to do with rhythm?
Nothing at all, other than it fit in perfectly with Nike's other MLS identities at the time - the cyber-scorpion of the San Jose Clash, the fire-breathing Pegasus of the Dallas Burn, and the techno-bat-thingy of the Tampa Bay Mutiny.

Don't forget the Galaxy's pre-Beckham identity with a golf ball in the foreground, the Metrostars going all "skyline-cartoony" trying to link-up New York and New Jersey, the Crew with those three people we'll never know who they really were, and Kansas City and "The Wiz."

With Chicago, I was surprised to see how sparse the attendance looked last weekend when I watched the Caps game there. I was having a look at the MLS historical attendance figures today and was surprised that the Fire's attendance hasn't been better.

Part of the problem is that the city's emergent soccer fan base - your 18-34 whites - live primarily, well, in the city, and mostly on the north/northwest/near west sides. That means, to get to Toyota Park, these fans (many of whom don't own a car) have to take the Blue, Brown, or Red Line into downtown, transfer to the Orange Line, take that all the way to the end at Midway Airport at 57th & Cicero, then transfer to a Pace suburban shuttle bus that then goes another five miles to Toyota Park at 71st & Harlem. And it's a similar setup for the city's main Hispanic & Polish communities, where the deepest soccer roots are in this town. The team has tried to mitigate this with its "Pub to Pitch" coach buses, which offer $10 round trips from several city soccer bars, but that only accommodates a few hundred fans per match.

For those with car access and/or suburbanites, Toyota Park's merely a different pain in the ass. 71st & Harlem is a few miles of local arterial streets from the closest expressway and tollway, and those local roads carry a lot of truck traffic for the industrial complexes surrounding the stadium. It doesn't take a lot to jack up Harlem in that area, and 15,000 people going to a game sure will do the trick. The parking lots only have two total gates for entry and exit, and the lots themselves are a gravel free-for-all. This is why I think of Bridgeview as Soccer Glendale: This is what happens when you build your stadium somewhere simply because the municipality says yes.

And yet, fans would probably put up with all of this if the club showed any inclination toward presenting an enjoyable product. But we're years removed from that.

Archived