North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

You can't deny that the MLS poaching Minnesota, Atlanta, New York, to a lesser extent Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and a way lesser extent Tampa Bay/Orlando (there have been some departures from the Rowdies to Orlando City) weakens the NASL

Oh, I'm not denying that. But the question wasn't about whether MLS was weakening the NASL. It was whether MLS was "building the game". Which is undeniable, even if that growth comes at the expense of the NASL individually.

It has historcially been quite common for Major League Baseball to look at triple-A markets for expansion. San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Milwaukee, Houston, Baltimore, Minneapolis, Montreal, Denver, all these cities had top-level minor league clubs displaced by major league relocation or expansion. Nobody worried about "weakening" the American Association, or the Pacific Coast League, or the International League, leagues dating back half a century or more.

Cities which demonstrated an ability to support the game got a higher level of the game. I don't know why we should hold MLS to some different standard.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can the Charleston Battery be a possible MLS team? They've always been pretty good, and I'd have no qualms with being the "small-market" team - basically the MLS answer to teams like the Whalers and Grizzlies.

53Ocz8U.png

Not sure how I feel about the field at Yankee Stadium. It looks pretty neat, but it's definitely cramped. So far, the pace has been super quick, which is a good thing overall. Maybe they should be playing with 10 guys a side, though.

Adam Nemec is garbage though. He missed a ton of open looks against Orlando last week, and had a big whiff today.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'll be interested to hear Gothamite's report; I'm assuming he was at the game.

I only saw the first half, but MLS at Yankee stadium seems like a pretty unique deal. It'll be interesting to see how/if NYCFC ends up with a decided homefield advantage through the season.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah. I was there.

An amazing night. For the win, to be sure, but also because we had a huge pregame party and march to the match.

Our tifo went off without a hitch, and from that point I could actually enjoy the game.

nycfc-tifo.jpg

Frankly, I thought NYC was lucky to escape with the win. New England had a couple screaming chances they let slip by.

The pitch looked amazing; Yankee Stadium's grounds crew did an amazing job. I did find it a bit small - reminded me almost of Highbury. The stadium itself was electric, packed to the upper deck and jumping all game long.

Will Minnesota United be called the Minnesota Loons once in MLS?

Orlando City didn't change their name to the Orlando Lions when they came to MLS so I doubt it.

As for NYCFC couldn't have gone better for them today in terms of results. They had a good turnout and got a 2-0 win with David Villa scoring the first ever goal at Yankee Stadium for NYCFC.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

We'll see. I'll just be happy if they keep getting good crowds. Not necessarily expecting them to open the whole Stadium every weekend, but it would be nice if they can push the soccer capacity.

And yeah, I would expect Minnesota United to keep their name if/when the news is confirmed.

It was great to see NYC FC win their first game at Yankee Stadium, it actually feels like I have a team I can really root for here. I wanted to be a fan of the Red Bulls, but they play in Harrison and dont even inentify with New Jersey, they have the worst logo, worst name an engergy drink seriously and cant do any thing.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

We'll see. I'll just be happy if they keep getting good crowds. Not necessarily expecting them to open the whole Stadium every weekend, but it would be nice if they can push the soccer capacity.

And yeah, I would expect Minnesota United to keep their name if/when the news is confirmed.

I think the only times the stadium is going to opened up like that again is for Red Bull games and maybe the playoffs.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

A 20-25k average would be great for this team.

A. Jacksonville has played a game, and they broke an attendance record doing it. It wasn't the first attendance record the city has broken in the last three years.

B. They have an owner in the process of putting up a stadium. He expects to have one in 3 years. He wants a site with plenty of room so he can build a stadium that will one dat hold 20k.

Archived