North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

Oh, never fear. I'm liking it. My love of hats isn't about anything more than a love of hats.

Said the balding man to the haberdasher ;)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's me in the top hat, holding one side of the flag.

One of the most amazing sporting experiences I've ever had.

Looks like fun.

I'm in Toronto, & between the Leafs-Jays-Raps-Argos, the most fun I've had live was the TFC-LA Champions League at Rogers Centre.

Place was full & mostly just word of mouth... which is why we blew the roof off.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

B_3xKoEWYAAn7ZO.jpg

TAMPA, Fla. -- Despite some players fearing the worst and Mark Teixeira saying "It's going to suck," the Yankees' front office insists the Yankee Stadium field will be fine for NYCFC to share it with the baseball team.

"The field will be fine for both sports," Yankees president Randy Levine said by phone on Wednesday.

Teixeira, in a statement to the New York Daily News, said, "It's going to suck, but you have to deal with it. It's going to tear up the infield, but there's nothing we can do about it, so we'll deal with it."

Continue reading: http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/2343882/yankee-stadium-field-will-be-fine-for-nycfc-and-yankees-says-president

Despite what Randy Levine thinks, this well end poorly for NYCFC if it does become a problem, you do not want the biggest fan base in the city to be pissed off and resent you, that can't be good for a franchise that's trying to put their stamp on the city.

Maybe we should stop building single-purpose baseball stadiums that aren't much useful for anything else.

I'm only being half facetious.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm not terribly concerned. They worked for a long time on the schedule to ensure three days in between each baseball and soccer game. That's a long time to replace divots.

But if for some reason City can't play at Yankee Stadium past this season, I don't think you'll see them in New Jersey. My money would be on Wein Stadium at the northern tip of Manhattan, where Columbia University's football team plays.

2567.jpg

It currently seats 17, 000 but could easily be expanded. Transportation isn't as easy as Yankee Stadium, but at least it's on the subway and close to Metro-North. Plus you get gorgeous views of the Hudson River, Spuyten Duyvil and the Palisades. And it's already the correct shade of blue. :P

I'm not terribly concerned. They worked for a long time on the schedule to ensure three days in between each baseball and soccer game. That's a long time to replace divots.

But if for some reason City can't play at Yankee Stadium past this season, I don't think you'll see them in New Jersey. My money would be on Wein Stadium at the northern tip of Manhattan, where Columbia University's football team plays.

2567.jpg

It currently seats 17, 000 but could easily be expanded. Transportation isn't as easy as Yankee Stadium, but at least it's on the subway and close to Metro-North. Plus you get gorgeous views of the Hudson River, Spuyten Duyvil and the Palisades. And it's already the correct shade of blue. :P

Maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't have rushed in a team with an ownership group that leads a country where being gay is punishable by death and without a permanent stadium. I doubt anyone else would have been given a spot in the league on such short notice if they didn't have Manchester City's money or the market.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well, duh. MLS needs to have a New York team if it wants to grow as a market. They know it, and were quite desperate to do something about it. That's been crystal clear since 2010.

How are things going for the permanent stadium? Apparently the Bronx one fell through?

The rumor I heard is that ultimately they couldn't convince the elevator parts manufacturer to relocate within the Bronx. Shame, because the parking lot occupying the bulk of that site sits empty most of the time.

I'm sure the new stadium is a priority, but so is keeping the process secret, apparently. They're quite eager to get out, and untimately money isn't really an issue, so I expect we'll hear something soon.

2567.jpg

Also, it's not like Columbia needs the football field.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Maybe we should stop building single-purpose baseball stadiums that aren't much useful for anything else.

Said attitude was implemented in the 1960s/1970s in the form of cookie-cutter stadiums, galore. Do we all really need those again throughout the United States?

Said attitude was implemented in the 1960s/1970s in the form of cookie-cutter stadiums, galore. Do we all really need those again throughout the United States?

Why did you cut out where I said I was being half-facetious? I recognized that exact point. I'm sorry I didn't spell it out more clearly.

But if it's a serious question, any time there's a public investment in a stadium (and I don't know how Yankee Stadium II was funded), it should be planned for maximum use. Now that new NFL stadiums are considering soccer capability -- which is great! -- we might want to think about being more creative with new baseball stadiums. Perhaps there are rotating seats, or false walls, or something else that could better accommodate both a baseball field and a soccer pitch.

Public money for stadia is a bad deal for the public. We should be thinking about ways to make it more palatable. And I like to think we have more capabilities than we did 40-50 years ago.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The good news is that many more stadiums are being privately funded. Like Yankee Stadium was. Like the planned LA Rams stadium is. Like the NYCFC stadium will be. That's a good thing and one which should be encouraged.

Let cities contribute some infrastructure, perhaps. Or let the developers get tax credits for doing that themselves. That can be a legitimate use of public money, not building homes for private businesses that can well afford them.

Archived