North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, if anyone is jealous, it must be the Red Bulls & their supporters. They've gone from champagne NY footballers to dishwater New Jersey misfits.

The Red Bulls have never been "champagne NY footballers". They are as they have always been, popular among a segment of area soccer fans but but largely ignored.

I think you hit a nail on the head. With all the T.Henry signings & Red Bull Arena moxie, there is that perception outside NYC. How very New York Red Bulls of them to simply assume New Yorkers would buy into that same perception in their very own backyard.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Yeah, if anyone is jealous, it must be the Red Bulls & their supporters. They've gone from champagne NY footballers to dishwater New Jersey misfits.

The Red Bulls have never been "champagne NY footballers". They are as they have always been, popular among a segment of area soccer fans but but largely ignored.

I think you hit a nail on the head. With all the T.Henry signings & Red Bull Arena moxie, there is that perception outside NYC. How very New York Red Bulls of them to simply assume New Yorkers would buy into that same perception in their very own backyard.

TFC I think has an outsider perception as well- that we're some turbo charged Euro footy fanbase driving the TFC machine. Well, sort of yes, however we've been pissed off & frustrated for 2-3yrs now. The MLSE President Leiweke who bought Defoe here was all talk & he's leaving town this spring also.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

While on the topic of New York soccer marketing follies, man, the Cosmos. If you're gonna play your games at Hofstra, do something other than just advertising on the front of Nassau County buses. If you're gonna have your primary target market be Queens, then play at St. John's if you're not looking for the suburban crowd. I'm guessing that's partly the reason why they're faltering a bit (besides not getting the MLS bid, of course)

(Shoulda promoted the Long Island Rough Riders :P )

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

While on the topic of New York soccer marketing follies, man, the Cosmos. If you're gonna play your games at Hofstra, do something other than just advertising on the front of Nassau County buses. If you're gonna have your primary target market be Queens, then play at St. John's if you're not looking for the suburban crowd. I'm guessing that's partly the reason why they're faltering a bit (besides not getting the MLS bid, of course)

I'm guessing that Belson Stadium, the soccer-specific stadium at St. John's, was considered too small for them at 5,000 seats.

You're right about the advertising, though. They did put up a very cheeky billboard on the interstate right outside Red Bull Arena (heading East towards NYC):

075ff930-bd49-11e4-bc30-67c7ef31e4c6_Cos

Cosmos-Ad.png

But I'm not aware of any advertising being done in New York City itself. Maybe they're doing some in Queens, but there's not a bit of it in Brooklyn.

As for "Chicago Fire", the city seems to like the historical reference. So the name's fine. The logo is fine. But in a city with an extensive public transportation system, why on Earth would you not put your stadium on the L?

Toyota Whatever is the best example of the failed MLS "build in the suburbs" model that they have finally abandoned.

I understand the historical reference with the name but that name just screams '90s corniness and they don't have the championship pedigree of the Galaxy to really justify keeping their cheesy 1990's name.

That team needs a player that can be a real game changer in terms of getting media attention and wins followed by a complete re-brand.

Chicago is a big market city and its MLS team should look and act like it.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I'm guessing that Belson Stadium, the soccer-specific stadium at St. John's, was considered too small for them at 5,000 seats.

Belson Stadium 2500 normally, expandable to 5000 if necessary. That 2500 cap most likely sent the Cosmos to Hofstra.

I love a good NYC Soccer discussion as much as the next guy but I'm going to interrupt to congratulate the Impact.

With a 2-0 lead going into the second leg they have a good chance of reaching the Champions League Final.

As much as it pains me to say this: I hope they can too.

Not only good for MLS but good for the growth of the sport in Canada, if we can just get the non-hardcore fans to understand the competition.

I can't tell you how many people I've had to explain it to.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

That's it exactly.

If they did as much outreach in Chelsea or Brooklyn as they do in Hoboken, things would be very different.

New Yorkers are used to going to Jersey for sports. We're not used to those teams caring more about Jersey than they do about us.

But they dont call themselves New Jersey Red Bulls, though the PATH stops right by Red Bull Arena, so they are alienating potential Jersey fans too. It is just such a poorly run team and the team name and logo sucks. Its why I jumped ship, plus if Yankee Stadium gets jacked up I could careless :P

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The name and the logo are the only things right with the club currently. Remember, Nike wanted to brand the team "Chicago Rhythm", and give them a cobra for a logo with a black/orange/tealish color scheme. Now that's freaking '90s.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Re: NYCFC, so glad I finally have a team in MLS to root for...the Manchester City ties made it a no-brainer. I just hope they can get the stadium situation figured out, because as an Orioles fan, I cannot and will not step foot anywhere near Yankee Stadium.

Your loss. I'm a Yankee fan and a baseball fan, I have thoroughly enjoyed going to Fenway and Camden Yards for games.

Camden Yards is the best ballpark in baseball. Yankee Stadium is a ridiculous monstrosity that stands for everything that is wrong with baseball. Big difference.

How would you know? Since you refuse to step foot anywhere near it. It's a ball park, much like every other one built the last 20 years. Time to get over yourself.

I've always found the Chicago Fire logo and identity to be overrated but I guess I am in the minority on that so I will let it go.

I just think a competent Chicago team can be just as big of an asset to the league as a competent Miami or Toronto club to say the least.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

What about that stadium at Belmont that they want to build? Is that actually going to happen?

Looking like no. They were supposed to get an answer for the state nearly a year ago. The Cosmos are ultimately a failed experiment. Their whole existence was essentially based on getting the MLS spot now occupied by NYCFC in D1. They tried to move past that with NASL hoping they were big enough, but are finding that the league they joined just isn't up to that task. They're a minor league.

The name and the logo are the only things right with the club currently. Remember, Nike wanted to brand the team "Chicago Rhythm", and give them a cobra for a logo with a black/orange/tealish color scheme. Now that's freaking '90s.

>shudder<

The heck does a cobra have to do with rhythm?

Re: NYCFC, so glad I finally have a team in MLS to root for...the Manchester City ties made it a no-brainer. I just hope they can get the stadium situation figured out, because as an Orioles fan, I cannot and will not step foot anywhere near Yankee Stadium.

Your loss. I'm a Yankee fan and a baseball fan, I have thoroughly enjoyed going to Fenway and Camden Yards for games.

Camden Yards is the best ballpark in baseball. Yankee Stadium is a ridiculous monstrosity that stands for everything that is wrong with baseball. Big difference.

"Owners shouldering the load instead of soaking the taxpayers"? Yeah, that's terrible.

As he said, your loss. And after his kind words about your park, your post comes off as much more dickish and ungracious than I'm sure you meant it to.

As for "Chicago Fire", the city seems to like the historical reference. So the name's fine. The logo is fine. But in a city with an extensive public transportation system, why on Earth would you not put your stadium on the L?

Toyota Whatever is the best example of the failed MLS "build in the suburbs" model that they have finally abandoned.

Yeah didn't mean to be dickish, I just hate the Yankees. Like, a lot.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

What about that stadium at Belmont that they want to build? Is that actually going to happen?

Looking like no. They were supposed to get an answer for the state nearly a year ago. The Cosmos are ultimately a failed experiment. Their whole existence was essentially based on getting the MLS spot now occupied by NYCFC in D1. They tried to move past that with NASL hoping they were big enough, but are finding that the league they joined just isn't up to that task. They're a minor league.

The state still hasn't chosen a development plan for that site. That's the only thing theyre waiting for. Could still happen, or could not.

I don't think the delay has anything to do with anything except the state dragging its heels. But it seems to me that the more NYCFC gets its roots into the community, the harder it'll be for Empire State to pick the Cosmos as a viable long-term solution. If they don't think the Cosmos will be in business in five years, or ten years, they'll choose a different developer to grant the land.

Archived