"Black for Black's Sake"/"Gray for Gray's Sake" Worst Offenders

MCM0313

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, at least at night. The logo is barely visible because the helmet is reflecting the dark sky. I don't think it would be a good look for any team.

Yes, the logo was nearly impossible to see much of the time. It looks nice sitting on a desk or a shelf, but on the field, not so much.

There was a lot of bickering on a UK site last fall over UK's uniforms and helmets. It was your typical "old farts" vs "cool, hip, young people who know what's awesome" debate. As you may have guessed, I sided with the "old, out of touch, farts" who recognized that those black uniforms were a complete eyesore. :D The most-used defense was that "the players and recruits love them and that's all that matters".

Am I really the only one here who thinks Kentucky's chrome helmet (not the uniform that goes with it, just the helmet itself) is boss?

That depends. Does "boss" mean terrible? I've had some terrible bosses. If so, then no, we all think it's boss.

I could not agree more as they helmet is terrible!

spacer.png

I disagree, at least at night. The logo is barely visible because the helmet is reflecting the dark sky. I don't think it would be a good look for any team.

Yes, the logo was nearly impossible to see much of the time. It looks nice sitting on a desk or a shelf, but on the field, not so much.

There was a lot of bickering on a UK site last fall over UK's uniforms and helmets. It was your typical "old farts" vs "cool, hip, young people who know what's awesome" debate. As you may have guessed, I sided with the "old, out of touch, farts" who recognized that those black uniforms were a complete eyesore. :D The most-used defense was that "the players and recruits love them and that's all that matters".

Jim, I don't know what UK site you were on, but I got hammered on the Kentucky Sports Radio facebook page by the young kids that thought the uniform was kewl. Therefore, I was called the old geezer because I mentioned black was not our school color.

spacer.png

Jim, I don't know what UK site you were on, but I got hammered on the Kentucky Sports Radio facebook page by the young kids that thought the uniform was kewl. Therefore, I was called the old geezer because I mentioned black was not our school color.

LOL That's the very site I was referring to! I also took some abuse in the comments section there.

stjohnweb8s-2-web.jpg

when I was watching this game at work, I told myself I needed a reminder to remember to post about St' John's GFGS uniforms against Villanova. Then this happened! Wow. Even though UA's armor template has been whored out..still looks nice here. Plus for not being a color vs color game too.

shado_logo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this for the Buffalo Bulls, who just went down to the previously mentioned West Virginia.

Not just some brutal BFBS going on here, but the "NEW YORK" script (NYFNYS?) across the front is a laughable.

Buffalo-Bulls-Xavier-Ford-NCAA-Tournamen

6uXNWAo.png

I think this every March, but Harvard's BFBS uniforms are pretty unfortunate. The team is CALLED the Crimson, for god's sake.

Bizarrely they do have crimson jerseys as well, but it took several pages of Google Image results for me to find this photo. I know Ivy League basketball doesn't get a ton of exposure but I've never seen a game in which these were worn.

B9315424491Z.1_20141208211803_000_GF09BV

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I think this every March, but Harvard's BFBS uniforms are pretty unfortunate. The team is CALLED the Crimson, for god's sake.

Bizarrely they do have crimson jerseys as well, but it took several pages of Google Image results for me to find this photo. I know Ivy League basketball doesn't get a ton of exposure but I've never seen a game in which these were worn.

B9315424491Z.1_20141208211803_000_GF09BV

I'm the exact same way. When you have a color in your name and you don't wear that color, it's an epic facepalm. Especially since Ivies are supposed to be smart folks. (Tulsa is the same way too. Great color scheme, "Golden" in the name, awesome shade of blue, but they wear white at home and black on the road. In my mind it should be yellow/gold at home and blue on the road, with white as home alternate and red as road alternate.)

Good ol' Buffalo and their BFBS too. I think this may end up being the most BFBS tourney ever. I would've thought it would have been 10 years ago, but I guess it's taken the mid- and low-majors awhile to come around to the worst fashion trend in college sports. Georgia State is epically BFBS since they pull off the blue-and-red look so well when they wear it. And Stephen F. Austin, with the unique purple-and-red color scheme...in the past they just went purple and white and ignored the red, which looked decent but was still wasting an interesting opportunity...yesterday they wore black for no logical reason whatsoever. It's beginning to piss me off.

So how about a list of very specific BFBS/GFGS offenders: Schools that have a color in their name but frequently or always forgo the use of that color for black or gray. Here's a partial list in college hoops:

Duke Blue Devils (part-time black road jersey; at least they wear blue too)

Harvard Crimson (full-time black)

Tulsa Golden Hurricane (forgo gold for both white and black)

St. John's Red Storm (gray)

North Texas Mean Green (black)

Niagara Purple (black)

...I believe the St. Francis (PA) Red Flash wear black instead of red, but I'm not 100% sure

...The California Golden Bears generally wear yellow/gold and navy, but didn't they have a GFGS alternate a couple years ago?

Minnesota Golden Gophers (black alternate, fortunately not in full-time use at this time)

Tulane Green Wave (black, but I believe they sometimes wear their green jerseys too)

Southern Miss Golden Eagles (black is a school color for them, but do they have a yellow/gold jersey, or is it just white at home and black on the road?)

Wichita State Shockers (black is a school color, but they get an honorable mention for no longer wearing the yellow color that a

shock of wheat is)

I'm sure I'm missing a few...feel free to add to the list.

Wichita State breaking out their GFGS today vs. Indiana -- WHYYY when the Shockers can just wear their yellow?

PI-CBK-WichitaSt-Tekele-Cotton-020315.vr

Haha, I had just mentioned their avoidance of yellow jerseys. Great (or greatly disturbed) minds think alike, eh? ;)

Duke Blue Devils (part-time black road jersey; at least they wear blue too)

Just the black trim alone, which they tacked on to their home & roads about a decade ago. No thanks.

6uXNWAo.png

not to mention an ugly girls hoops templet.

Wichita State breaking out their GFGS today vs. Indiana -- WHYYY when the Shockers can just wear their yellow?

PI-CBK-WichitaSt-Tekele-Cotton-020315.vr

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

seeing UCI Eaters in their NCAA Tourney v Louisville today reminds me how bad last years adidas templet was. Looked like practice gear. Louisville doesn't look bad (except for the stupid shorts)

Edit: sorry, wrong thread guys.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

seeing UCI Eaters in their NCAA Tourney v Louisville today reminds me how bad last years adidas templet was. Looked like practice gear. Louisville doesn't look bad (except for the stupid shorts)

Edit: sorry, wrong thread guys.

Hey, it's all good. Honestly, I didn't think UCI looked terrible. Not great, but the shoulder yoke was...interesting, at least. I like it better than the stripe around Louisville et al's bellies.

Archived