"Black for Black's Sake"/"Gray for Gray's Sake" Worst Offenders

MCM0313

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB: The White Sox started the trend in the late 80s with their "Black Sunday" jersey. They were changing up uniforms about every 2-years anyway, but were always navy or red (or a combination of both) from at least the early 70s. Then they switched to black and gray, and have hardly touched anything since. While it was a step away from tradition, it gave both MLB teams nicknamed "Sox" entirely different color schemes.

The Sox switched to the current set in 1990/91. The logo was a revamp of the logo they used from 1949-75. The jerseys were inspired by the set they wore from 1951-63. Of course, those sets featured red as the secondary color. But in the late '80 and early '90s, silver and black were popular, what with the LA Raiders and NWA wearing Raiders gear. I'm sure that played into them selecting gray/silver as the accent color. Regardless, I think they were too early to be called BFBS.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

MLB: The White Sox started the trend in the late 80s with their "Black Sunday" jersey. They were changing up uniforms about every 2-years anyway, but were always navy or red (or a combination of both) from at least the early 70s. Then they switched to black and gray, and have hardly touched anything since. While it was a step away from tradition, it gave both MLB teams nicknamed "Sox" entirely different color schemes.

The Sox switched to the current set in 1990/91. The logo was a revamp of the logo they used from 1949-75. The jerseys were inspired by the set they wore from 1951-53. Of course, those sets featured red as the secondary color. But in the late '80 and early '90s, silver and black were popular, what with the LA Raiders and NWA wearing Raiders gear. I'm sure that played into them selecting gray/silver as the accent color. Regardless, I think they were too early to be called BFBS.

Plus, switching your whole color scheme is different than having a color scheme and simply adding black. If the navy/red White Sox adopted a black alternate with navy/red scripts, then that would be the essential BFBS. And as noted, the switch happened in 1990, which was about a year or two before sports merchandise was a really huge deal.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Florida State and Florida have both had black jerseys on and off since the early 2000s (right when BFBS started), and UF now employs black, instead of white, as a trim color:

DBP_2255-L.jpg

florida-gators-basketball-media-day-port

Duke is a violator of this as well:

SZL2P.AuSt.156.jpeg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Florida State and Florida have both had black jerseys on and off since the early 2000s (right when BFBS started), and UF now employs black, instead of white, as a trim color:

DBP_2255-L.jpg

florida-gators-basketball-media-day-port

Duke is a violator of this as well:

SZL2P.AuSt.156.jpeg

I agree with you about Florida and it looks weird but Duke has black because its part of their color scheme not BFBS

I may be in the minority here, but if a team is going to implement another color (i.e. BFBS / GFGS), I actually prefer for them to simply use it as a base color. In football, my preference is for a team to wear their regular helmet and pants (assuming they're a school color, not white, silver, or black) with a BFBS jersey, showcasing their schools color palette on the black base where it can really "pop"..

when teams just throw it in as a trim color, that's just lazy and jarring, while achieving essentially nothing in terms of creating a different look.

But that's not even FSU's most BFBS uniform.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived