Teams that have looked terrible for their entire history

damnyoutuesday

Why am I the only out there that really likes the Ravens look, especially the purple jerseys with the cool looking numerical font?.

You're not, I really like the Ravens' look. I'm a fan of the team though, so there may be a slight bias there. They have a few glaring flaws, but nothing that's hardcore awful, like the '00 Bills, the Jags' helmet, or the Bucs' new look. I'm not sure if there's any pro sports team that has looked flat-out terrible its entire existence. That's a hard thing to do.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I the only out there that really likes the Ravens look, especially the purple jerseys with the cool looking numerical font?.

You're not the only one! I've always really liked the Ravens identity. When they stay away from the black pants, I feel like they're one of the better looking teams in football.

Count me in too--sort of. Granted, purple and black ain't the easiest ccolorway to work with, but the problem with the Ravens' set isn't the homes...it's the roads, chiefly because of that ginormous black dropshadow. If they eliminated that and just kept it to a black outline--and possibly swapped the black and gold around to where the gold is the outermost trim--it'd probably help things. It'd also help if they replicated the helmet stripes on the black pants--or even tried a white/purple/white braisher on the pants. Or just kept it to white over white on the road.

I think the home uniform just falls into the "sort of bad" category, while the road (black pants version) and the all-black alt go all the to horrific.

My issues with the Raven's uniforms (top to bottom);

The helmet - The logo has always looked vaguely dorky to me, and the "B" lodged into the poor guys head is just bad. Bad on both sides but especially bad on the left version, where it has to be awkwardly flipped. Also, the spiked kind-of-stripes would be a dated relic from the 90's, if they weren't so dark you can barely see them.

The jerseys - To me, that particular shade of purple is too dark to try to pair with black. Black and purple are hard enough to distinguish, but when you use that very dark purple, it just gets worse. I'm not a fan of the font, personally... just feels like some designer was trying too hard. And the thick drop shadow makes a mess out of the white version. The shield logo is kind of a nice design IMO, but too big for current sleeve cuts.

The pants - Well, the white pants are servicable, but not great. The lack of gold in the stripe has always bothered me. And I've never seen the great need for a logo on the hip (unless you're Florida State). BUT... the black pants are an absolute crime against humanity. I'm not sure how they accomplish this, but those black pants actually have the ability to make any player wearing them instantly look like a friggin' idiot. And when teamed up with the black socks, they become my least favorite look in any sport on any level. I literally have trouble watching the Ravens play when they're dressed in black from the waist down... it's physically nauseating to me. The white jersey over the black pants creates a weird optical illusion of being bigger on top than below, like the players are all steroid meatballs, who overwork their chests and arms while their legs shrivel away. And the all black alt makes them look like a rejected Image Comics supervillian from the 90's... just total fake-tuffguy clowns.

So... just my opinion, I know, but I am always stunned when anyone compliments the Ravens uniform in any way.

I'm a big fan of vintage uniforms, so I have to say that the Ottawa "O" throwback is quite good. I've never liked the mascot, who has nothing to do with a "Senator", either contemporary or historic. But then, I guess a guy in a suit with a briefcase or a dude in a Roman toga wouldn't really go over either. Oooo! There's a challenge to everyone out there!

Design a new Ottawa Senators Logo/uniform using a literal definition of a senator for mascot!

I await your comedy....

I really can't think of anyone. There are plenty of teams that have never really gotten it right, but even those teams looked kinda-sorta ok at various points in their history. Take the Tampa Bay Lightning for example.

Original sets? Definitely downgraded when they switched from Honalulu blue to regular royal, but the original set(s) were really just a few better logos away from being perfectly acceptable.

The Edge look? Click and fill templated garbage shared by two other teams, but the logos were perfect updates of the originals.

The current look? Criminally derivitive of two other established looks, but aesthetically sound if viewed in a vacuum.

All three were misses, but none were entirely without merit either.

Someone said Phoenix Suns ? I would say Barkley era uniforms (all 3 versions: white, purple, black) are top 5 NBA unis all-time !

To each their own, but those always looked terrible to me. I especially hated the shorts and that part of the number was often obscured when tucked in.

0faea488a1de720edf40d3ea4e70f160.jpg

dan%20majerle%209%20sun%20jersey.jpg

The front number thing seems to be a problem with Champion's jerseys instead of the design. The throwbacks from a couple years ago didn't have that issue:

JzDv7Oi.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'd go with the Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, and Tennessee Titans.

Seriously Astros? IMO besides their late 90's road uniform and pinstripe homes I don't think they've ever had a uniform that wasn't solid. Sure the railroad look didn't fit them at all, but it looked very nice.

Terrible is too strong a word, but I've just never really liked any set they've had.

I think you're a bit confused, a lot of us like it.

The only thing I don't love is maybe the big B in the logo. Though I've always given it a pass because I'm not sure what else would look better- certainly not that raven bird sans B.

Hell, I even think their stadium is one of the best looking fully outdoor venues in the entire NFL.

Anyway, since the Ravens are one of the few teams in the entire league who play to win a SB every single f'n season, & that's been since they relocated, they match the emotion of their branding quite well. They should also feel somewhat grateful to play & rival the Steelers every single season to keep it interesting.

The Ravens playing in the AFC South for example might've vanished from our radar.

Also- I'm a Patriots fan & I hate the Ravens... if that makes sense.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Seriously Astros? IMO besides their late 90's road uniform and pinstripe homes I don't think they've ever had a uniform that wasn't solid. Sure the railroad look didn't fit them at all, but it looked very nice.

Terrible is too strong a word, but I've just never really liked any set they've had.

Well it wasn't a whole set, just the home, but you didn't even like the almighty shooting stars?

AstrosShootingStarUniform020815.jpg

The Astros need to bring that back ASAP, a slightly redesigned version would nearly be on par with the birds on bat and Braves' tomahawk IMO.

Well it wasn't a whole set, just the home, but you didn't even like the almighty shooting stars?

AstrosShootingStarUniform020815.jpg

The Astros need to bring that back ASAP, a slightly redesigned version would nearly be on par with the birds on bat and Braves' tomahawk IMO.

Out of all their looks, this is probably the best. I'm just not a fan of that shooting star.

Philadelphia Union. That awful brown? gold? stripe down the middle is terrible, not to mention the lovely Bimbo advertisement that they have had their entire history.

union-vs-new-england-revolution-lmn-1060

Do anyone one with a shred of dignity ever wear that jersey?

Yeah... I do, and have worn mine ever since the Union's very first home opener back in 2010. It's actually one of my favorite jerseys. And some of us are mature enough to understand that Bimbo Bakeries (pronounced BEEM-bo, by the way) is the United States' largest bakery, and not automatically associate the word with the female pejorative.

And yes--my dignity is fully intact. B)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Philadelphia Union. That awful brown? gold? stripe down the middle is terrible, not to mention the lovely Bimbo advertisement that they have had their entire history.

union-vs-new-england-revolution-lmn-1060

Do anyone one with a shred of dignity ever wear that jersey?

Yeah... I do, and have worn mine ever since the Union's very first home opener back in 2010. It's actually one of my favorite jerseys. And some of us are mature enough to understand that Bimbo Bakeries (pronounced BEEM-bo, by the way) is the United States' largest bakery, and not automatically associate the word with the female pejorative.

And yes--my dignity is fully intact. B)

Thank you. The "LOL Bimbo!1 Do girls wear that?" is up there with "The Giants and Jets can't call themselves New York because they play in Jersey" or "Red & yellow=McDonalds, red & green=Christmas, and brown=poop" in terms of stupid lines of thought that should go away forever.

Vancouver Canucks

Their Blue & Green scheme is bearable but don't ever forget their various atrocities from 1980-2007

vancouver-canucks-linden-cloutier.jpg

I'll be the first to admit the Canucks have had their fair share of abominable jerseys, but never had a good look? Come on. They have the best colours in the league and the striping looks great. They have an awful logo, but overall its a pretty good uniform.

Archived