Breaking Adidas confirms it will NOT renew its NBA contract

arcane

Who here thinks Brand Jordan will take a crack at it? Jumpman logo on every jersey wouldn't be as awful, IMO, if they're going to brand every on-court jersey. Nike should at least consider letting MJ bid on it.

Conflict of interest.Jordan's brand provide uniforms while he also owns a team??! Don't see it happening but wouldn't be surprised.

shado_logo.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who here thinks Brand Jordan will take a crack at it? Jumpman logo on every jersey wouldn't be as awful, IMO, if they're going to brand every on-court jersey. Nike should at least consider letting MJ bid on it

Yeah... Sorry I think that is a terrible idea. I am/was a fan of Jordan... but having an Owner's company design uniforms? Terrible idea. Major conflict of interest.

I do think the ONLY good thing that would come out of that scenario is having Jerry West AND Michael Jordan on every single players uniform.

Who here thinks Brand Jordan will take a crack at it? Jumpman logo on every jersey wouldn't be as awful, IMO, if they're going to brand every on-court jersey. Nike should at least consider letting MJ bid on it

Yeah... Sorry I think that is a terrible idea. I am/was a fan of Jordan... but having an Owner's company design uniforms? Terrible idea. Major conflict of interest.

I do think the ONLY good thing that would come out of that scenario is having Jerry West AND Michael Jordan on every single players uniform.

I don't think having a nike sub-brand that's the namesake of a franchise owner outfitting a league constitutes a conflict of interest. What is he going to do sabotage other teams with ugly designs? Toxic fabrics?

I don't think having a nike sub-brand that's the namesake of a franchise owner outfitting a league constitutes a conflict of interest. What is he going to do sabotage other teams with ugly designs? Toxic fabrics?

Maybe. If he is still a huge gambler like he used to be. That would be his way of fixing games.

That's what I was thinking about.

Team Jordan isn't really a separate per se, so it's not like MJ himself will be designing the jerseys. Also, unless the manufacturer logo will be allowed on on-court uniforms like the NCAA, theoretically you wouldn't/shouldn't be able to tell who made what anyway. (Unless a jersey becomes untucked.) Every company probably outsources production to the same company anyway.

What about Puma? They haven't make NBA jerseys in a while.

That's what I was thinking about.

Team Jordan isn't really a separate per se, so it's not like MJ himself will be designing the jerseys. Also, unless the manufacturer logo will be allowed on on-court uniforms like the NCAA, theoretically you wouldn't/shouldn't be able to tell who made what anyway. (Unless a jersey becomes untucked.) Every company probably outsources production to the same company anyway.

What about Puma? They haven't make NBA jerseys in a while.

Puma have really stepped out the basketball game since losing VC and not doing the Knicks and other team unis in late 90's they are more a soccer, track/running and casual company these days. Plus don't forget it was Adolf and Rudolf who formed Gebrüder Dassler Schuhfabrik Dassler in 1924 with the relationship between the two brothers deteriorated until the two agreed to split in 1948, forming two separate entities, Adidas and Puma.

One thing everyone is over looking is the fact Reebok had the NBA uniform contract since 2001, then Adidas took over in 2006. Reebok also had the NFL contract since 2002 and made all but 3 NFL team uniforms in 2011 (which the other 3 teams were made by Adidas before the merger coincidentally). So Reebok was the official uniform manufacturer of both the NBA and NFL from 2002-2006, and since Adidas bought Reebok in 2006, the Reebok/Adidas company manufacturered both the NFL and NBA from 2002-2011. So saying Nike cant do both because it is too busy with the NFL is false. Maybe they wont because they saw it could be too much like it was for Reebok/Adidas. I just want better fan appeal then what Adidas has offered

raiders-2.png

I don't think its about being "too busy", but about the amount of money Nike would have to spend to secure both contracts and whether it would be worth that much to have both. Nike has been outbid recently on its most high-profile club soccer contracts, leading many to believe they are changing their "outfit 'em all" approach.

Rbk was outfitting both NBA and NFL, then comined with Adidas they had the 3 major leagues at the same time.

Not sure it's about money either, since those contracts are relatively cheap if you consider what Nike spends on single athletes and universities endorsements.

IMO it's rather snatching it from competitors, especially the rising UA threat. A second factor being ROI, but it's not clear how viable is the NBA compared to the NFL sales-wise.

I personally believe when it is all said and done Nike will get the contract. However, the fabric that Nike has today is totally different than when they last had the NBA contract for selective teams (Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, etc.). Notice, the uniforms Nike designed by college teams it looks thinner and more silkier, and the same probably will be said once the NBA gets the apparel deal (assuming they get it). In the late 90s-early 2000s when Nike created the thicker and more better looking Dri-Fit for the NBA teams (which continued when Reebok and Adidas during their early years of their contract).

But we will see what happens, I personally am a Nike fan and I would like to see them get the deal. But something tells me their fabric will be totally different the last time they were in the NBA. But at least it should be a whole lot better than the garbage Adidas is pulling right now.,

I personally believe when it is all said and done Nike will get the contract. However, the fabric that Nike has today is totally different than when they last had the NBA contract for selective teams (Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, etc.). Notice, the uniforms Nike designed by college teams it looks thinner and more silkier, and the same probably will be said once the NBA gets the apparel deal (assuming they get it). In the late 90s-early 2000s when Nike created the thicker and more better looking Dri-Fit for the NBA teams (which continued when Reebok and Adidas during their early years of their contract).

But we will see what happens, I personally am a Nike fan and I would like to see them get the deal. But something tells me their fabric will be totally different the last time they were in the NBA. But at least it should be a whole lot better than the garbage Adidas is pulling right now.,

Whoever gets the contract, I wouldn't be surprised if authentics weren't even available to the public anymore. While the fabric technology may supposedly benefit the players wearing it, I don't see why any fan would even want to buy them anymore. Last time I was at a Bucks game I was checking out some of the authentic rev30s they were selling for $275 and the material was paper thin. I just don't see why anyone would even want that. Just spend $100 for the swingman. Looks the same and has thicker material. I have a hard time believing Adidas moves a whole lot of the authentics that are for retail.

Archived